PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful News my domain request rejected

lipps
19th March 2008, 12:50 PM
é.at
Tried to register this domain with the .at register. Used name.com
Punycodes etc correct...
Today I got a notice that the .at admins rejected the domain because a single character idn domain is not allowed.
No big deal not a really great domain anyway, but I hope that this could be a sign for the future. All those single character domains that were approved at other registers may someday also be disallowed. Hope that those of us who have a few might be grandfathered in and push their value up...

domainguru
19th March 2008, 01:22 PM
This is a decision by the .at registry (not registrar). It has no particular bearing on what other registries (particularly Verisign) do. That cat is already out of the bag.

Ross
19th March 2008, 01:23 PM
é.at
Tried to register this domain with the .at register. Used name.com
Punycodes etc correct...
Today I got a notice that the .at admins rejected the domain because a single character idn domain is not allowed.
No big deal not a really great domain anyway, but I hope that this could be a sign for the future. All those single character domains that were approved at other registers may someday also be disallowed. Hope that those of us who have a few might be grandfathered in and push their value up...

Well, cctlds have a lot of various silly rules.

For example, under dot fi you are not allowed to register a 2 char domain which is an ISO 3166 country code - example my.fi, us.fi, fi.fi, de.fi, etc... You also can not register pillu.fi (pussy in finnish), but you can register pussy.fi in english. Go figure... Also, Finnish people don't find it offensive to say "Fuck You" - it's quite humorous to them and they say it on radio commercials, etc.

Dot no (norway) is very strict as to what you can register - they definitely won't let you register fuck.no (which would be a good site for the opposition to use during elections, etc).

domainguru
19th March 2008, 01:30 PM
Also, the single character ASCII .coms that have been registered, have never been "taken back" by VeriSign. If you own single character IDN .coms, you don't have to worry about them being claimed back. Neither the IETF nor ICANN nor VeriSign have ever talked about doing so.