PDA

View Full Version : Canada's CIRA Withdraws from ICANN

blastfromthepast
27th March 2006, 01:51 AM
Friday, March 24th 2006 @ 11:00 AM PST

By Geoff Duncan
Staff Writer, Designtechnica News
In a major defection, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) has suspended its involvement with Internet governing body ICANN pending process reforms.

In what might be a turning point in Internet governance, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) has suspended its involvement with ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. At issue: ICANN's accountability, internal processes, and transparency.

CIRA was apparently pushed past the point of tolerance with the ICANN board's recent approval of VeriSign's continued control of the .com top-level domain space through at least the year 2012. ICANN has long been accused of being a tool of U.S. economic and foreign policy—and, indeed, the U.S. Commerce Department holds a de facto veto power over ICANN policy decisions, which the Bush administration has used to prevent turning Internet governance over to an international body.

CIRA has been a long time policy and financial supporter of ICANN, but is now so concerned about the organization's policy directions and processes that it has suspended its contributions to the body, will decline to host or sponsor any ICANN events, and will cease chairing ICANN's ccNSO IANA working group. While CIRA says it is optimistic ICANN can right itself, CIRA maintains ICANN must increase its accountability to stakeholders; subject board decisions (like the recent VeriSign renewal) to appropriate checks and balances; perform proper record-keeping of board meetings and make those records available to the public; and both create and enforce fair, transparent, and accountable processes in conjunction with its stakeholders.

It remains to be seen whether any other ICANN constituents will follow CIRA's lead: certainly there already exists significant unease among ICANN members, particularly in regard to the regulation of internationalized domain names, specialized top-level domains (including the proposed .xxx "online red light district" top-level domain), and management of domain registries. With more defections, Internet governance could conceivably fragment, resulting in parallel, not-necessarily-interoperable Internets running in different parts of the world.

http://news.designtechnica.com/article9883.html

Giant
27th March 2006, 02:13 AM
So, who exactly are the "bad guys" at ICANN? Vin Cerf? Anybody knows?

Drewbert
27th March 2006, 02:27 AM
How long have you got?

Easier to list the good guys, because that's a shorter list. Getting shorter all the time, unfortunately, as they're focred out or resign in disgust.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/answers_from_vint_cerf_on_top_level_domains/ makes for good reading, especially Karl's last post. He was one of the good guys that was forced out (via a change in the rules).

jose
27th March 2006, 02:51 AM
There are rumours they and Verisign are being investigated!!!

Duhh?! They took all this time to realise they were doing under the table agreements? Come on, everyone knows there's not a common auction for the drop domains yet because...they are still fine tunning it... LOL!

I thought the current state of balance was going to last a couple more years. I guess the money was not enought latelly to pay everyone.

Anyway, this *is not* good news for our .com's and .net's.

Drewbert
27th March 2006, 03:04 AM
>Anyway, this *is not* good news for our .com's and .net's.

Why?

jose
27th March 2006, 03:20 AM
Why?

With more defections, Internet governance could conceivably fragment, resulting in parallel, not-necessarily-interoperable Internets running in different parts of the world.

Need I say more?

I was joking on my post about Edwin panic selling all his Russian domains. I wonder...

Drewbert
27th March 2006, 03:28 AM
The top 10 com/net domain owners could finance the running of the root servers out of their petty cash - and would certianly do so to ensure .com stayed king.

.com will survive ICANN, if need be.

It was surviving prior to ICANN, and running happily on a shoestring budget. This isn't rocket science, even if ICANN and VERISIGN want rocket science prices.

The concentration of power in the US Telco's (awarded by the Bush admin) is more of a threat to internet commerce than ICANN's demise.

24th September 2011, 03:19 PM
CIRA Goes IDN.

"I also think if you own a .ca domain with one or more french words that should be accented, you should have first crack at the IDN version. Stay tuned to see how this develops!"

http://dotcadomains.blogspot.com/2011/09/cira-considers-idns-for-ca-domains.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Domainreportca+%28DomainReport.ca%29

"Sunrise period
1. In order to protect existing Registrants,
CIRA would provide only existing .CA
Registrants the opportunity to register
any available IDN variant of their current
ASCII domain names. For example, the
existing Registrant of preside.ca would
have the option to register préside.ca,
prèsïdë.ca, prësîdê.ca, etc. No other
Registrant would have access to IDN
domain names during the Sunrise period."

Policy: http://www.idnconsultation.ca/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/1011-102-4-1038/IDN_Policy_Interactive-19-09-11.pdf

Q: Who else offers IDNs?
IDNs are available in many other ccTLD (such as .eu
and .de) and gTLD registries (such as .com and .org)

http://www.cira.ca/IDN/english.html