PDA

View Full Version : Selling Domains : Auctions Aren’t TheAnswer

Ross
20th March 2008, 09:32 AM
Interesting perspective from this guy:

My neighbor has a black ‘66 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed. Is it for sale? Sure… offer him enough money and he’ll sell it. But he doesn’t drive it around with a FOR SALE sign on it, because he’s not willing to part with it for the current market value. Isn’t everyone’s car technically “for sale” at a high enough price? But if we all drove around with FOR SALE signs on our cars, wouldn’t that just about void any real market for car buying?

http://www.johnon.com/498/domain-auctions.html

Ryu
20th March 2008, 09:40 AM
auction reserve does put me off. even then, auction with reserve is better than no auction.

Jay
20th March 2008, 10:13 AM
auction reserve does put me off. even then, auction with reserve is better than no auction.

Can someone explain to me why people put domains on auction with high reserves and then start accepting low amount bids? There's an auction like that running here right now. It perplexes me. Seems like a huge waste of time for everyone concerned.

Ross
20th March 2008, 10:26 AM
Can someone explain to me why people put domains on auction with high reserves and then start accepting low amount bids? There's an auction like that running here right now. It perplexes me. Seems like a hugh waste of time for everyone concerned.

It's a psychological thing. People are lemmings. Often times, they won't bid unless they see who else is bidding - catch 22. For example, put a korean domain for auction and if a korean person makes a bid on it then all the sudden others join in. They are simply too scared to move without a vote of confidence from another. The bid of a person who is perceived by others to be a "big timer" can have even more of an effect on getting others to bid, also providing an easy opportunity for shill bidding to occur.

Ryu
20th March 2008, 10:38 AM
For example, put a korean domain for auction and if a korean person makes a bid on it then all the sudden others join in.

That's another reason I prefer sale to auction. One member here told me that my bidding on a Japanese auction is a seal of approval.

Perhaps, I should start bidding on non-Japanese names, but then it'd be my turn to be too scared.

sunsei21
20th March 2008, 11:31 AM
I hate to be the one to break it to you domainers, but the domains aren’t selling because their not worth the asking price. If the aftermarket’s want to function for buyers who want domains (and I know plenty of buyers who want domains), they need to separate the domains available “for sale” from those available “if the price is right”. Someone should do this. We need more options.

buy this man a beer he is a genius :)

the value of an object or service is often seen as nothing but the price it would bring in an open and competitive market.

Ross
20th March 2008, 12:28 PM
That's another reason I prefer sale to auction. One member here told me that my bidding on a Japanese auction is a seal of approval.

Yes. And can you imagine when the market starts going strong, if a person who wants to sell a prime japanese domain contacts you privately and asks you (perhaps people perceive you as a very knowledgeable japanese domainer) to shill-bid to drive up the prices?

The domain auction market has been plagued by accusations of this type of behaviour. Especially anonymous auctions such as snapnames and sedo.

I personally hate buying in auctions, unless there is a reasonable BIN from the start. If I want the domain, I will buy it at BIN. You can see many of the prime arabic domains I purchased on this forum last summer just like this, just search past auction threads.

mulligan
20th March 2008, 01:46 PM
Do business with those you know .. fuck the rest .... not trustworthy? No reputation? Fuck off .. regardless ... long memories exist and we know who we know .. examples being displayed daily on various forums ... personally ... I wouldn't do business with 90% of the people on this forum

99% of domainers are fuckwits and wouldn't know how to fucking spell 'domain' anyway

TonyP
20th March 2008, 02:40 PM
In the 'real markets' the deals are done via exchange and you never know your counter party.

'It is imperative for the DN industry to become a viable force is to develop exchanges with the minimal or no cost. The 10% to 25% fees domainers pay to SEDO or TRAFFIC are not just obscene. Those fees indicate to the other markets that the DN business is a clubhouse with backroom dealings.'

Rubber Duck
20th March 2008, 04:11 PM
I hate to be the one to break it to you domainers, but the domains aren’t selling because their not worth the asking price. If the aftermarket’s want to function for buyers who want domains (and I know plenty of buyers who want domains), they need to separate the domains available “for sale” from those available “if the price is right”. Someone should do this. We need more options.

buy this man a beer he is a genius :)

the value of an object or service is often seen as nothing but the price it would bring in an open and competitive market.

It has been tried and it failed. It failed because sellers stop producing good names. The reason they stopped producing good names was auctions did not attract serious bids. Auctions simply served to undermine their other sales strategies. They involved too much effort for no return, and they required the seller to divulge information about their holdings for no good purpose.

An open competitive market is more than just what the Buyer wants to Pay.

It is also about what the Seller will Accept.

There is gulf between the two, which can only realistically be bridge if Buyers are prepared to come up with some cash.

Do business with those you know .. fuck the rest .... not trustworthy? No reputation? Fuck off .. regardless ... long memories exist and we know who we know .. examples being displayed daily on various forums ... personally ... I wouldn't do business with 90% of the people on this forum

99% of domainers are fuckwits and wouldn't know how to fucking spell 'domain' anyway

You are far too optimistic in your assessment! :p

mulligan
21st March 2008, 12:44 AM
You are far too optimistic in your assessment! :p

Well .. thats my first chuckle of the day .. :)

blastfromthepast
21st March 2008, 02:36 AM

The pot calling the kettle black?
চালুনি কয় সুঁইরে, তোর পিছনে ফুঁটো.
乌鸦笑猪黑。
Rugao se lonac loncu, a oba crna.
De pot verwijt de ketel dat hij zwart ziet.
Pata kattilaa soimaa!
La pelle se moque du fourgon!
Ein Esel schilt den andern Langohr!
הפוסל במומו פוסל
Il bue che dice cornuto all'asino or Il bue che dà del cornuto all'asino!
Przyganiał kocioł garnkowi.
O sujo falando do mal-lavado.
El burro hablando de orejas.
Cachicamo diciéndole a morocoy conchuo.
ว่าแต่เขา อิเหนาเป้นเอง
Tencere dibin kara, seninki benden kara

mulligan
21st March 2008, 02:53 AM
Dan .. you got problems with me? PM me and lets sort it out .. Alternatively you can leave negative feedback .. Don't make me send out the hounds .. who knows what they will find ... Ok?

EDIT: Thats not a threat .. its a fucking promise

blastfromthepast
21st March 2008, 02:54 AM
No, I have problems with what you said. You're in the domain business, right?

You've shown up on the radio to speak for IDNers and domainers, and now you are calling 99% of domainers names?

mdw
21st March 2008, 04:56 AM

Pretty harsh words Mulligan - and I think your assessment is way off base.

I've had various dealings with lots of the folks here and almost without exception have had good experiences. Furthermore the more I get to know some of the IDNers here, the more I'm impressed. There will always be a few bad apples, but most of the people here are smart, kind, fair and willing to help out others.

mulligan
21st March 2008, 04:58 AM
EDIT .. Nothing else to say

Rubber Duck
21st March 2008, 05:45 AM
No, I have problems with what you said. You're in the domain business, right?

You've shown up on the radio to speak for IDNers and domainers, and now you are calling 99% of domainers names?

Dot Travel, Dot Mobi, Dot Asia, L-LL.com......

Yes, 99% of them are complete losers!

And you lot expect people to put up high value names on this unadministered anarchic hell hole!

I rest my case!