View Full Version : Indian IDN Discussion Forum

a2zofb2b
28th November 2005, 12:56 AM
Hi guys

I have just joined this forum today, and
even registered couple of Indian IDN names

www.xn--hlc4ap8dcb.com (சினிமா.com (http://www.சினிமா.com) ) Tamil Cinema
www.xn--21bm4l.com       (खोज.com (http://www.खोज.com))  - Hindi Search

Would like to find whether there is enough interest in starting Indian IDN Discussion Forum

Olney
28th November 2005, 01:56 AM
There is a potential to create new forums. If you can post in the general forum initially if the interest continues we'll make a new forum.

Rubber Duck
28th November 2005, 05:31 AM
Yes, I would be very interested in Indian Forum, as I think this market has great potential and this is where the quality of our names is potentially the highest. The market is, however, very complexed due to the number of languages.

Our Tamil names are:

xn--rlcus7b.com தமிழ Tamil

xn--hlc4aa7ina2a.com ெசன்னை Chennai/Madras/Tamil

xn--onc.com ௧ Tamil
xn--pnc.com ௨ Tamil
xn--qnc.com ௩ Tamil

xn--vkc.com அ Tamil

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

a2zofb2b
28th November 2005, 07:11 PM

The above domain will not have any value

Somebody has already registered the correct name.
xn--hlc4aa8im2a.com  சென்னை Chennai/Madras/Tamil

Rubber Duck
29th November 2005, 12:26 AM

The above domain will not have any value

Somebody has already registered the correct name.
xn--hlc4aa8im2a.com சென்னை Chennai/Madras/Tamil

Thanks, win some loose some!

Actually I am quite optimistic about single letters particularly the first of the alphabet. The release of single ASCII characters should bring this issue to a head.

I note that you have to get up to about 3 dozen "a"s before the dot com has not been regged. This is to do with the old first in the directory principle.

Dave Wrixon

a2zofb2b
4th December 2005, 10:29 PM
Our Tamil names are:

xn--rlcus7b.com தமிழ Tamil

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Dave ,

The above domain is also incorrect spelling.
The correct spelling is
xn--rlcus7b3d.com (தமிழ்.com).

I am shopping for some top Tamil & Hindi IDN's which has commercial vailes.
Do you mind sending the list along with asking price.

Rubber Duck
4th December 2005, 11:48 PM
PM Sent

DavyBUK
5th January 2006, 09:38 PM
I do agree that a board for the various Indian languages would be a good idea.

I am still at the initial stages of trying to get to grips with some of the languages and translators and have registered a couple today in Bengali and Gujurati which are my first. A forum for these would be most welcome as a home for the posts that are in various places around the board at present.

Just my view though :)

Regards

David

Rubber Duck
8th February 2006, 05:09 AM
I have been looking through my traffic figures for recent acquisitions. It was noted that although there is little Google and almost no overture, there is significant traffic on Indic scripts and we are not even just talking Hindi and Urdu, surprisingly strong on the traffic figures was Punjabi and Bengla, but also featured were Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Gujarati.

This was a straw poll of the top traffic names. Arabic seemed to way out in front, but the Indic scripts were comparable in ranking terms to Russian, which surprised me!

In view of the fact that the interest is this market is increasing, I feel it was time we had an Indic Script forum. It may be that later we need separate forums for the more important languages but for now I think one combined forum would suffice. I do, however, feel that this area cannot be neglected much longer.

Olney
8th February 2006, 05:19 AM
Ok since I am through with most of the major changes could you guys give a good name
Is
Indian Domains correct?

Rubber Duck
8th February 2006, 05:27 AM
Ok since I am through with most of the major changes could you guys give a good name
Is
Indian Domains correct?

I think that Indic Script Domains would be better, as on the sub-continent languages cross political borders. Urdu is more spoken in India than Pakistan, but it is the Official Language there. Bangla is widely spoken in Eastern India. Tamil is spoken in Sri Lanka. Punjabi is also another delicate area. I think we need to be sensitive on this one.

anurag
8th February 2006, 07:27 AM
Hi all,

I too like this forum.

But I have some issues in why IDN in Indian languages will not a hit.

1. We need to type the name like www.हिन्दी.com
So if type the name like this it is bit difficult to type in this way.
Ideal case should be that both www and com /net be in Hindi or reginal language.

2. In Registry has plan to launch domain names in indian languages by this year end, so value of com /net will be less. ( In all the languages)

3. Again it is converting into Unicode and shows some value
xn--xxxxxx.com has no value

4. Each English name in indian regional lanuage has many meaning and use all the names

Examples Work in hindi

१. परिश्रम, कोशिश, प्रयत्न
२. काम, कार्य, कर्म
३. रचना, ग्रंथ
४. संपादन, कृति, क्रिया, फल
५. काम, वेल बूटा
६. उद्यम, व्यवसाय

Book in Hindi
पुस्तक
किताब
पोथी
ग्रंथ

I don't know names have any value.

Pl. put your comments so we can discuss about this

Rubber Duck
8th February 2006, 07:57 AM
Hi all,

I too like this forum.

But I have some issues in why IDN in Indian languages will not a hit.

1. We need to type the name like www.हिन्दी.com
So if type the name like this it is bit difficult to type in this way.
Ideal case should be that both www and com /net be in Hindi or reginal language.

2. In Registry has plan to launch domain names in indian languages by this year end, so value of com /net will be less. ( In all the languages)

3. Again it is converting into Unicode and shows some value
xn--xxxxxx.com has no value

4. Each English name in indian regional lanuage has many meaning and use all the names

Examples Work in hindi

१. परिश्रम, कोशिश, प्रयत्न
२. काम, कार्य, कर्म
३. रचना, ग्रंथ
४. संपादन, कृति, क्रिया, फल
५. काम, वेल बूटा
६. उद्यम, व्यवसाय

Book in Hindi
पुस्तक
किताब
पोथी
ग्रंथ

I don't know names have any value.

Pl. put your comments so we can discuss about this

1. IDN.IDN is coming, hopefully shortly and the dot com will Alias to something in HIndi, and other Indian Languages according to the settings on your computer.

2. Dot com competes against ccTLDs in all other major markets. This is not seen as being a huge problem, indeed IDN will tilt the table towards gTLDs like dot com, as the need for ccTLD to differentiate domains by location will be diminished.

3 Once the user has IE 7.0 installed he will be largely unaware of punycode, or indeed Unicode.

4 All languages have synonyms, some make fantastic keywords others are not much used. It can be confusing for the speculator, but it won't be for the end user. Speculator need to evaluate words he is not familar with in order to establish their value. I recently picked up News in Bangla, and regged it purely on the basis of the source and the Google Score. It was only later that I managed to get a translation.

It is still early days in Hindi, but anything with a Google Score of less than 10K is probably not very hot!

idn
8th February 2006, 04:33 PM
It is still early days in Hindi, but anything with a Google Score of less than 10K is probably not very hot!

So my 1,800,000 Google score should be okay then? :)

Rubber Duck
8th February 2006, 05:12 PM
So my 1,800,000 Google score should be okay then? :)

That is an extremely high Google Score for Hindi at the present time. Would you mind indicating what the term is. I have had a bit of problem with my Hindi Database so I cannot give you Google Scores, but I would be surprised if we went over 250K.

This is not, however, the only criteria one should use. You really need to try and equate to value terms in English. Some terms can be too general to be of great value!

idn
8th February 2006, 05:23 PM
That is an extremely high Google Score for Hindi at the present time. Would you mind indicating what the term is. I have had a bit of problem with my Hindi Database so I cannot give you Google Scores, but I would be surprised if we went over 250K.

This is not, however, the only criteria one should use. You really need to try and equate to value terms in English. Some terms can be too general to be of great value!

Well it is very generic: हिन्दी.com

I figure if everything works out it will make a great portal.

What Hindi database are you referring to?

Rubber Duck
8th February 2006, 05:56 PM
Well it is very generic: हिन्दी.com

I figure if everything works out it will make a great portal.

What Hindi database are you referring to?

Should have guessed. Actually it confused me in the translation a little bit as it wasn't in the dictionary. Of course, the top term in any Indian language at the moment is the name of the language itself.

We have: मराठी and বাংলা in dot coms, as well as the Thai for Thai Language.

Never really thought about the portal idea, but it makes sense. I was simply thinking Translation.

The Database is our Domain database that contains a large number of terms in Indic scripts.

idn
8th February 2006, 06:14 PM
Should have guessed. Actually it confused me in the translation a little bit as it wasn't in the dictionary. Of course, the top term in any Indian language at the moment is the name of the language itself.

We have: मराठी தமிழ বাংলা in dot coms, as well as the Thai for Thai Language.

Never really thought about the portal idea, but it makes sense. I was simply thinking Translation.

The Database is our Domain database that contains a large number of terms in Indic scripts.

Nice grabs. I also picked up some other languages at various times with the same portal thought:

slovenščina
bokmål
lietuvių
български
tiếng việt
język polski
română

română and surprisingly lietuvių have the highest English overture of the lot.

Of course, Hindi is by far the best.

Rubber Duck
8th February 2006, 06:45 PM
Nice grabs. I also picked up some other languages at various times with the same portal thought:

slovenščina
bokmål
lietuvių
български
tiếng việt
język polski
română

română and surprisingly lietuvių have the highest English overture of the lot.

Of course, Hindi is by far the best.

Yes, it won't be long before people are trawling through Hindi, just as they are in Chinese at the moment. The penny is starting to drop, but too many still regard India as a predominantly English Speaking country.

When we watch the news we see politicians speaking in English. Even if they have made the speach in three Languages we would only ever get to see the English version, as it would not otherwise appeal to a wider audience. We know Indians speak English because we see it on TV.