View Full Version : IDN sells for $60,168

OldIDNer
29th March 2006, 05:08 AM
Städtereisen.de

http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

John W
29th March 2006, 06:24 AM
"City travel" in German.

Gentlemen, I believe we have a significant step forward.

Edwin
29th March 2006, 07:07 AM
According to a German-speaking friend, the term is MUCH more significant than the English translation would suggest. In other words, it's no good thinking in English terms about the logic of that particular sale. Not saying it isn't a lot of money or an exciting deal, but it's important to keep local perspective on it.

The same will apply for other IDNs and other countries, in time. For instance, I'm sure a lot of the English translations for some Japanese domains would be laughable to the point of doubting whether they had any value whatsoever - yet in the local market and the local language they're a HUGE deal.

IDN.TV
29th March 2006, 07:34 AM
Thats a great sale, but sometimes its so tough to believe that people are actually buying names for so much (end of it its just a name), but I hope this trend never dies. Coz, I am invested heavily in domain names.

bramiozo
29th March 2006, 07:41 AM
It's just a name but sometimes a name is more then a series of letters, it's a symbol,
a mental bookmark, an identity.

Remember that companies often advertise WITH their domain names, it's never just a technicality.

städtebusreisen.de was sold on 02-03-2006 for $842

Rubber Duck
29th March 2006, 07:47 AM
Thats a great sale, but sometimes its so tough to believe that people are actually buying names for so much (end of it its just a name), but I hope this trend never dies. Coz, I am invested heavily in domain names.

Nice, but really not that substantial. Too much ambiguity with Latin IDNs for them to ever compete with the potential of Kanji. I believe that eventually Kanji and Hanzi will be worth even more than their ASCII counterparts. You only have follow the break-neck speed of development in Shanghai to see how big the Asian mind can think!

Look how Toyota destroyed Landrover's dominance of the 4x4 market. Did they have better engineers? No, almost certainly not, but commercially they just had a vision on a different plane.

Furthermore, it is now clear that Kanji can impart more meaning than mere words can express. It is a bit like comparing the real Mona Lisa with the computer code of a bit-map likeness. I don't think without being Japanese or Chinese you can really appreciate the level of meaning or identity that these symbols impart.

Clotho
29th March 2006, 09:15 AM

Domain names hold many similarities to commercial real-estate. A good generic name is like a prime piece of commercial real-estate with a path already paved to its door and potential customers using that path regardless of whether or not the doors are open for business. The opportunity to lease names such as these will exist for only a short period of time. The ability to attract customers directly targeted to your specific market for such a low cost is unimaginable in all other business circles.

Money flows in channels. The best way to earn money is to insert yourself directly in the middle of a channel that money flows in. That is precisely what generic domain names do.

Even though language changes and words are both added and removed from common use over time, the best generic names will continue to earn revenue in the decades or even centuries to come. The pure simplicity of generic domain names is both the reason for their financial success and the reason for their longevity. As long as people use symbols to communicate ideas there simply won’t be a better way to connect people with the information they search for. Instead of thinking of it as ‘just a name’ think of it in terms of a channel that information and wealth flows in.

The pictographic nature of some languages and scripts only serves to enhance the compression of information and will make them even more successful than their latin based counterparts. There is less confusion between plural and singular forms and ideas of greater complexity occupy less space, which makes them more memorable and brandable.

If you combine this enhanced utility with a culture that is more apt to measure opportunity in terms of centuries rather than decades, you have a potential financial windfall of epic proportions.

Explorer
29th March 2006, 10:28 AM
This is the highest amount paid for an IDN. Even without looking at OVT score and bids, I think our portfolios jumped in terms of valuation.

idnceo
29th March 2006, 10:30 AM
In my perspective, another big impulse to the idea of IDN .cctld can be stronger than the .com in several languages. Though i can expect a reply from some people saying the investor bought the .de because he couldnt buy the .com and that Städtereisen.com cost $150.000 or more because Städtereisen.de was sold in 60K.... German like their .de in IDN more than a german IDN .com I think the same will be in chinese, japanese and korean as more years pass by. Like someone said correctly a kanji implies something more than its simple writing, for some languages it will be same with the extension. ;)

Im glad for everyone investing in IDNs, this is good news.

Rubber Duck
29th March 2006, 10:33 AM
In my perspective, another big impulse to the idea of IDN .cctld can be stronger than the .com in several languages. Though i can expect a reply from some people saying the investor bought the .de because he couldnt buy the .com and that Städtereisen.com cost $150.000 or more because Städtereisen.de was sold in 60K.... German like their .de in IDN more than a german IDN .com I think the same will be in chinese, japanese and korean as more years pass by. Like someone said correctly a kanji implies something more than its simple writing, for some languages it will be same with the extension. ;)

Yes, but dot com will soon manfest itself to Japanese as a Kanji extension!

Explorer
29th March 2006, 10:36 AM

This might be true for the Germany and Japan. In China, global companies would rather trust ICANN than the local Chinese authority to govern their domains.

And what about people in Latin America? A generic .com there will be much more important than .py or .ar.

Rubber Duck
29th March 2006, 10:43 AM
Yes, where languages cover more than country, then gTLDs and dot com in particular will dominate.

It must be true with Spanish and Arabic as it has been with English. Other languages that span frontiers are Russian, Chinese, Farsi, Urdu, Bangla, Hebrew, Hindi, Punjabi and Tamil.

idnceo
29th March 2006, 11:03 AM
This might be true for the Germany and Japan. In China, global companies would rather trust ICANN than the local Chinese authority to govern their domains.

And what about people in Latin America? A generic .com there will be much more important than .py or .ar.

cmon u can compare the impact of IDN in latinamerican countries vs. china or japan, from musica.com to música.com, it is minimal the change but from music.com to 音楽.com different story.

Anyway the discussion of which countries and languages will go for .com or ccTld was on another thread. German like and pay more for IDN.de , same i think it will be in Japan and China. Who knows but right now it is just speculation but im sure they will follow the same .de path for these 2 languages; arabic and spanish will go for that .com

Explorer
29th March 2006, 12:30 PM
cmon u can compare the impact of IDN in latinamerican countries vs. china or japan, from musica.com to música.com, it is minimal the change but from music.com to 音楽.com different story.

Anyway the discussion of which countries and languages will go for .com or ccTld was on another thread. German like and pay more for IDN.de , same i think it will be in Japan and China. Who knows but right now it is just speculation but im sure they will follow the same .de path for these 2 languages; arabic and spanish will go for that .com

The CHANGE might be minimal, but the OWNERSHIP of música.com is just as (if not more) rewarding as the ownership of 音楽.com

OldIDNer
29th March 2006, 01:46 PM
música.com

that's probably one of the most valuable IDNs

Explorer
29th March 2006, 01:59 PM
that's probably one of the most valuable IDNs

My point exactly.

OldIDNer
29th March 2006, 02:29 PM
German like and pay more for IDN.de

Do you guys think that ascii .com german domains that use the "ae"combinations for diacritics/umulauts may retain some value/be typed-in?

thegenius1
29th March 2006, 02:33 PM
LIke somebody once said , we are just Debating a Width of a :) , bottom line there will be few choices to choose from, com , net , idn.idn ..... IMO it doesnt Matter

Rubber Duck
29th March 2006, 02:33 PM
Do you guys think that ascii .com german domains that use the "ae"combinations for diacritics/umulauts may retain some value/be typed-in?

How is Unicode version input? If typing "ae" give you umulauts in Unicode then they are dead, if not they will probably fade out slowly.

LIke somebody once said , we are just Debating a Width of a :) , bottom line there will be few choices to choose from, com , net , idn.idn ..... IMO it doesnt Matter

Another Duckism, I am afraid!

vgemito
29th March 2006, 02:39 PM
The .de extension seems to have unnerved some people, possibly because we are all short of .de's due to the strict registration requirements the Germans have. However, the evident high local appeal of such a name is not exceptional. Rather, it represents the rule that local and personal appeal will often take precedence over more universal and grander generic terms.

"Städtereisen" means more accurately, "cities tours" (with the city in the plural), and for the German-speaker easily conjures up images of travel, and particularly supervised travel, to various places near and far. It is a pungent, evocative term, that could easily be turned to good advantage by the right travel company. I guess that this was a sale to an end user, and not a speculator.

Of course, prices like this (and better in the future), do not depend on our wishful thinking or philosophical outlook. They depend on a particular motivated buyer appearing at the right time. Good specific names that have a commercial application will command high prices. If you have any such names, value them highly and, if you are able, be patient, hold tight and wait for the right buyer to appear.

Regards

OldIDNer
29th March 2006, 02:46 PM
How is Unicode version input? If typing "ae" give you umulauts in Unicode then they are dead, if not they will probably fade out slowly

I think ae can be used/has been used to represent "ä", umulauts, with german ascii domains. There may be other combinations. I'm wondering if top names may still get enough "typo" or association type type-ins in the future even with full public IDN awareness and all browsers enabled/extensions in root to make them worthwhile in terms of earning more than reg fee in a year. I'm wondering if Germans type in those ae etc combinations presently, how ingrained that is. I've found a German ascii name or two using ae representations while looking for German IDNs and was just curious. I don't know this market.

If I could go back I would definitely have focused on German IDNs.

Rubber Duck
29th March 2006, 02:52 PM
I think ae can be used/has been used to represent "ä", umulauts, with german ascii domains. There may be other combinations. I'm wondering if top names may still get enough "typo" or association type type-ins in the future even with full public IDN awareness and all browsers enabled/extensions in root to make them worthwhile in terms of earning more than reg fee in a year. I'm wondering if Germans type in those ae etc combinations presently, how ingrained that is. I've found a German ascii name or two using ae representations while looking for German IDNs and was just curious. I don't know this market.

If I could go back I would definitely have focused on German IDNs.

Yes, my point that appears to have been missed is that if you type "ae" into IE 7.0 in the address bar will automatically generate an IDn with umulaut or will it simply create an AscII domain with the "ae"?

OldIDNer
29th March 2006, 02:55 PM
Yes, my point that appears to have been missed is that if you type "ae" into IE 7.0 in the address bar will automatically generate an IDn with umulaut or will it simply create an AscII domain with the "ae"?

ae are ascii characters so they would not convert somehow to unicode/punycode, they would remain ascii

Rubber Duck
29th March 2006, 02:59 PM
ae are ascii characters so they would not convert somehow to unicode/punycode, they would remain ascii

Well, that would seem logical but there are some funny things going on in Address Bars lately. If they do stay as "ae" I would think because many people are used to doing that, it is unlikely to change dramatically over night.

OldIDNer
29th March 2006, 03:11 PM
I think umulauts, like many diacritics, are encoded with a number letter punycode combination. Many domains have ae in them including ae.com and many German ascii domains and to make their "ae's" somehow be the diacritic would cause tremendous conflict imo.

Menze
16th May 2006, 04:59 PM
I guess that this was a sale to an end user, and not a speculator.

Hi,

I'm not really an end user, i'am a speculater who wants to realize some projects on some of the domains later on. I think Städtereisen.de is one of my domains where you can say i'm thinking like an end user.

Rubber Duck
16th May 2006, 05:04 PM
Welcome to the Forum Menze.

thegenius1
16th May 2006, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I'm not really an end user, i'am a speculater who wants to realize some projects on some of the domains later on. I think Städtereisen.de is one of my domains where you can say i'm thinking like an end user.

Congrats , And welcome to the Forum !... Tons of great info Floating around Here enjoy :)

dabsi
16th May 2006, 05:51 PM
The German market is not comparable to the chinese or russian one:

1) IDN (Umlaut) belongs already to the internet culture in Germany
2) Income per capita = buy by click rate is very high
3)Internet /ADSL penetration is very high.

This apply also to the french IDNs; partly apply for 1)and 3)

Städtereisen belongs also to a specific culture consisting of week-end sightseeing.

Question how many chinese, arab or russian use internet before traveling inside the country?

There are lot of illusions around.....

We need all a bit patience and a lot of realism.

DABSI

IDN.TV
16th May 2006, 05:57 PM
Congrats !! and welcome

touchring
16th May 2006, 06:15 PM

Städtereisen belongs also to a specific culture consisting of week-end sightseeing.

Question how many chinese, arab or russian use internet before traveling inside the country?

DABSI

It's not illusions at least for Chinese domains, maybe the exchange rate is different (1 RMB versus 1 EURO, PPC will be adjusted to RMB), but the consumption in physical terms is there, more than the whole of EU, let alone Germany. Even this forum, just count the numbers...idnclub has 180 members.

You should travel more....

gammascalper
16th May 2006, 06:33 PM

DABSI

The prices for German IDN are also >5x what they are for comparable Chinese, and >10x what they are for comparable Arabic and Russian -- the differences rapidly shrinking of course.

The 'patience and realism' is priced-in.

mulligan
16th May 2006, 07:33 PM
* Wonders if my stadtführung.com is worth anything*

vgemito
16th May 2006, 07:35 PM
Hello Frank,

Welcome, and thanks for checking in!

It goes to show that you never know who's listening. Your other (signature) names are very impressive as well.

Best regards,
VGemito

basel
26th October 2020, 07:49 PM
städtereisen.org

Catched it today

99$ today
interest pm me; )
Great name to hold and flip for nice xxxx$$$ :)