PDA

View Full Version : Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Olney
29th March 2006, 10:42 PM
Out of curiousity I just wanted to know for some of you just registering with the site is it hard finding new domains?

Truthfully a lot of us have been promoting the use of IDN Domains before the site was made but many didn't listen. How are you guys fairing? Anyone find our misses?

I usually go through & find good Japanese finds & wait for like a week hoping some of you newcomers find the ones that were missed but then go back later & register them. I give you guys chances (DON'T PM ME FOR LISTS)...

anyway yoroshiku

seamo
29th March 2006, 11:28 PM
Out of curiousity I just wanted to know for some of you just registering with the site is it hard finding new domains?

Truthfully a lot of us have been promoting the use of IDN Domains before the site was made but many didn't listen. How are you guys fairing? Anyone find our misses?

I usually go through & find good Japanese finds & wait for like a week hoping some of you newcomers find the ones that were missed but then go back later & register them. I give you guys chances (DON'T PM ME FOR LISTS)...

anyway yoroshiku

Well, I have found it hard. Mainly because I am impulsive, and have reg'd a lot of stuff that is probably just off the mark.

I have 150 Japanese domains, and I think they are probably pretty lame. I had hoped to sell some to make back some money, and haven't sold one - this is a real bummer.

Understanding the culture & language makes a HUGE difference IMO - that's why you regularly comment on all these good ID's that are still available, which the noob's can't find (because unlike you - we don't know where to look!)

Giant
29th March 2006, 11:53 PM
Well, I have found it hard. Mainly because I am impulsive, and have reg'd a lot of stuff that is probably just off the mark.

I have 150 Japanese domains, and I think they are probably pretty lame. I had hoped to sell some to make back some money, and haven't sold one - this is a real bummer.

Understanding the culture & language makes a HUGE difference IMO - that's why you regularly comment on all these good ID's that are still available, which the noob's can't find (because unlike you - we don't know where to look!)

For people that don't know the market and the language well, my advice to them is just buy 10 really good domains from the members here. 10 is enough to make them rich and save them a lot of headaches.

kenne
29th March 2006, 11:58 PM
You can also ask people help you validate.

If you need private validation for Chinese IDNs, you can ask me.

seamo
30th March 2006, 12:00 AM
For people that don't know the market and the language well, my advice to them is just buy 10 really good domains from the members here. 10 is enough to make them rich and save them a lot of headaches.

Hmmm...good advice.

Pity it's too late for me, as I have one hell of a headache now!

But truthfully, if any noob's read this post, take the advice from the seniors here. This is an excellent community, and most here know what they are talking about. And triple-check your reg's before you go through with them. As Olney has pointed out, the online translators most english natives use are written by english speakers, so beware of taking the first translation it spits out as the correct one!

gammascalper
30th March 2006, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't get discouraged. The only terms that are really selling right now are major cities, prefectures and short terms with very high scores. When the limited supply of those dry up, investors will expand their range.

Think of it as a conventional land grab -- buyers are staking out Malibu before heading to say, Palo Alto. It's only natural.

When traffic appears in earnest, your wanting to sell ANY will be a moot point!

seamo
30th March 2006, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't get discouraged. The only terms that are really selling right now are major cities, prefectures and short terms with very high scores. When the limited supply of those dry up, investors will expand their range.

Think of it as a conventional land grab -- buyers are staking out Malibu before heading to say, Palo Alto. It's only natural.

When traffic appears in earnest, your wanting to sell ANY will be a moot point!

Thanks for the encouragement gammascalper! I need it right now...

Giant
30th March 2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the encouragement gammascalper! I need it right now...

I haven't looked at your city names carefully, but regging city names can't be wrong because city names are always valuable.

Olney
30th March 2006, 12:29 AM
You know what i'll do...

Later today I'll give you guys a really special Japanese tip....
Of course it'll be in the members sections...

(Sorry guest gotta give some perks to members first)

seamo
30th March 2006, 12:37 AM
I haven't looked at your city names carefully, but regging city names can't be wrong because city names are always valuable.
Thanks Giant...that is what I had thought too.

Though, when I posted a thread about Japanese citys as investments, idnceo pretty well shot me down in flames. And as I haven't had a single nibble at my 69 name list, I had started to wonder if he was right! :-(

(If either you Giant, or any other of you guys can spare a minute to critique my list, I would greatly appreciate it. You are most welcome to post your comments on the thread)

rhys
30th March 2006, 03:39 AM

Though, when I posted a thread about Japanese citys as investments, idnceo pretty well shot me down in flames. And as I haven't had a single nibble at my 69 name list, I had started to wonder if he was right! :-(

(If either you Giant, or any other of you guys can spare a minute to critique my list, I would greatly appreciate it. You are most welcome to post your comments on the thread)

I think your city list is fine. One way or another. Keep the faith. I'd advise not to be in a rush to sell your holdings. Flipping quickly in this market won't guarantee a great return.

Olney
30th March 2006, 04:00 AM
Yeah I guess I realize I might hold off on getting names in auctions & just mine some domains for you guys.

I really wanted Calendar from RD when I realized I could deevelop it quickly but then realized for the same money to outbid Alph I could register about 30 new IDN Domains in Japanese.

And so I did...

I think if I get any more domains it's just to put up on auction...

Giant
30th March 2006, 04:33 AM

Your domain names are ok, but don't try to sell them now because the potential buyers are not here yet. 2007 may be a good time for you to sell some of them, and the rest probably later. Investing in domain names is like making wine, it needs time.

seamo
30th March 2006, 05:19 AM
Your domain names are ok, but don't try to sell them now because the potential buyers are not here yet. 2007 may be a good time for you to sell some of them, and the rest probably later. Investing in domain names is like making wine, it needs time.

Hi mate

Thanks for your taking the time to PM your advice to me :)

Comments like yours (and from a few other members) have been a great encouragement today!

Patience is unfortunately not one of my virtues, but hopefully it will pay dividends in the long run.

Kind regards

seamo

touchring
30th March 2006, 05:28 AM

I agree with this statement, especially at this point of time, looking at the quality of names that are still available wide open - it's better to have a few good names that cost less to maintain and appreciates more over time than to have a few hundred miscellaneous names that is a challenge to renew every year.

Myself, i've bought close to $5k (mostly chinese cities and adult) of names from the secondary market since early Jan and these have already appreciated a few folds. I registered another 380 names between Nov last year and Feb, and i'm lucky that my PPC can cover 80% of renewal costs.

seamo
30th March 2006, 05:38 AM
I agree with this statement, especially at this point of time, looking at the quality of names that are still available wide open - it's better to have a few good names that cost less to maintain and appreciates more over time than to have a few hundred miscellaneous names that is a challenge to renew every year.

Myself, i've bought close to $5k (mostly chinese cities and adult) of names from the secondary market since early Jan and these have already appreciated a few folds. I registered another 380 names between Nov last year and Feb, and i'm lucky that my PPC can cover 80% of renewal costs.

OMG...PPC paying for 80% of your renewal costs?....that would be paradise...!

touchring
30th March 2006, 06:15 AM

I hope so, i believe many people have PPC that cover several times of renewal costs for their entire portfolio if they park and spend time to keyword/category optimize all their names.

80% is an approximate figure, plus minus 10%. My Arabic names cover several times their renewal costs. Chinese names almost cover their renewal cost despite the RMB ( divide by 8 ) payout from Silverclicks - the killer chinese domains are those adult names - i've got several with dozens of views a day and CTR is 25-30% without setting keywords - i've not figured out how to do so yet with SC. These subsidize the other names.

I've started to experiment getting my names into search engine indexes, if it works, i might cover renewal costs entirely and with surplus.

There are still ways to increase PPC further, as Hanidns has proven with trafficz.com, which shows Korean ads, and pays $0.15 per click versus $0.03 for ND for Korean traffic.

domainstosell
27th April 2006, 09:51 PM
This is a great thread. I too am a little quick on the draw sometimes, and I have reg'd a couple of IDNs thinking they meant one thing, when they actually don't mean exactly what I thought.

However, I have been paying attention to the Googles and the OVT scores and things, so they still seem to be decent domains.

I think a major frustration is the waiting game, especially seeing IDNs starting to go for big cash. I need to keep reminding myself that patience is key.

This forum is a Godsend for people who want to break into this, though. I've learned so much in the last day or two here, and I'm glad there is still hope to learn and make OK money.

grubstaker
28th April 2006, 12:04 AM
Here Here... excellent thread... I have quite a few that I believe are valuable... but a whole lot more that I registered too quickly.

idnceo
28th April 2006, 02:15 PM

Cmon Seamo, i didnt shoot you in flames, i just said i didnt see the hot deal of digging so deep in city terminology from my perspective, specially when u could register something else. But everything is up to you, you listen here members's comments and you take your decisions but dont blame me for what u register or not register. Anyway dont worry so much, todays so-so domains, they will seem to be gems registrations next year. Just imagine what the new members in january 2007 are gonna start registering. :)

burnsinternet
3rd May 2006, 07:31 AM
I am a newcomer. I find it very difficult to find domains to buy. I search and search for good names with good numbers and they are taken. If they are not taken, it seems that they are grammatically incorrect and I waste my money. It is to the point where I find some decent .nets and several good solid names in .cc or .tv only.

I have asked this in many other forums with no direct answer: is there any value to .tv or .cc domains? Many of those IDNs are already snapped up, but some are still out there. It seems that with English language domain values .com is 100% .net is 50% .org is 25% (approximately) and .us would be 10% or so. With IDNs, are some languages better with .tv or .cc? Is it worth 5X the reg fee of a good name that is already taken in .com .net .jp .cn etc.?

blastfromthepast
3rd May 2006, 07:56 AM
With IDNs, are some languages better with .tv or .cc? Is it worth 5X the reg fee of a good name that is already taken in .com .net .jp .cn etc.?

.tv is good, and has sold for X,XXX.

.cc is wide open, the rush is just starting.

.com you can still get good deals on the after market, as some people churn their portfolios so that they are 100% in the black while still keeping the majority of the names for the long term.

.com new registrations are pretty good in languages with limited support to date. Think India. Also think Arabic.

.jp is rarely resold. Unless you are willing to pay top dollar and contact those that hold what you want. But a good working of the dictionary reveals a few jems still available.

burnsinternet
3rd May 2006, 08:11 AM
Thank you! Are .tv better for some (like Russian or Chinese) and .cc better for others? Or is it irrelevant when you dive that far down to the bottom of the barrel?

seamo
3rd May 2006, 08:37 AM
Cmon Seamo, i didnt shoot you in flames, i just said i didnt see the hot deal of digging so deep in city terminology from my perspective, specially when u could register something else. But everything is up to you, you listen here members's comments and you take your decisions but dont blame me for what u register or not register. Anyway dont worry so much, todays so-so domains, they will seem to be gems registrations next year. Just imagine what the new members in january 2007 are gonna start registering. :)
No blame mate.

More my own pride that was hurt ;)

You were just being honest. And I appreciate that.

touchring
3rd May 2006, 01:03 PM

Went through this thread, how fast situation changes in just 5 weeks, PPC now covers 200% of my renewal costs.

Explorer
3rd May 2006, 01:15 PM

I think it might not be correct to concentrate on maximizing PPC/renewal cost ratio in the short run. While it's nice to know you are getting something back, the quality is the key. For example, your downloadfreemp3.com might be earning 10 times more than my realestate.com today, but it might not make that domain 10 times more valuable.

touchring
3rd May 2006, 01:23 PM
Well, i'm was into quality earlier on, but just that there's not much quality left in the market - how many major cities and country names and realestate.com for major languages left? Of course, there's still a lot of single words left in different languages, i think that will last for at least another 5-6 months given the difficulty in getting good translations and ovts, i could mine these names if i want - even DCG is doing that. Besides, half of the increment in PPC is from existing parked domains that had more traffic and higher average PPC.

idnceo
3rd May 2006, 01:25 PM
Went through this thread, how fast situation changes in just 5 weeks, PPC now covers 200% of my renewal costs.

Touchring, How many people visitors are you getting on your top japanese .com idns on average? 1000 visitors per day ? 500? im very far from those numbers but i wonder if u or someone have a japanese idn with more than 1000 visitors per day. I guess it is still very difficult to get those number on a japanese .com or it is only my crap domains?

Explorer
3rd May 2006, 01:28 PM
Touchring, How many people visitors are you getting on your top japanese .com idns on average? 1000 visitors per day ? 500? im very far from those numbers but i wonder if u or someone have a japanese idn with more than 1000 visitors per day.

Most of my Japanese domains with solid OVT scores are getting very few visitors (below 5/day). I suspect the same situation across other portfolios.

Well, i'm was into quality earlier on, but just that there's not much quality left in the market - how many major cities and country names and realestate.com for major languages left? Of course, there's still a lot of single words left in different languages, i think that will last for at least another 5-6 months given the difficulty in getting good translations and ovts, i could mine these names if i want - even DCG is doing that. Besides, half of the increment in PPC is from existing parked domains that had more traffic and higher average PPC.

I agree, the names are getting really hard to come by. When I look at a candidate, I am thinking twice before registering it - will it EVER cover the reg fee.

touchring
3rd May 2006, 01:36 PM
Touchring, How many people visitors are you getting on your top japanese .com idns on average? 1000 visitors per day ? 500? im very far from those numbers but i wonder if u or someone have a japanese idn with more than 1000 visitors per day. I guess it is still very difficult to get those number on a japanese .com or it is only my crap domains?

I only got 100 japanese names getting 1200 views last month, with a misery 3.5% CTR (probably due to lack of japanese ads). I was a little slow in registering Japanese names - the good ones were gone by early December. I believe that traffic on Japanese names will increase by a factor of 50 in 3 years - a combination of greater propensity to type-in and IE7.

So assuming that traffic increases 50 times, i'll be getting 50,000 views a month, and with a 20% CTR with japanese ads, that's 10,000 clicks a month.

Olney
3rd May 2006, 01:40 PM
Sell 1 or 2 good domains
Then develop 5 to 10
You'll start to notice after they index they'll pay for themselves easily.
The traffic is totally different.
Parking is Good for a large percentage of your portfolio but develop some.
Even a 4 page site would do more than some parking options.

touchring
3rd May 2006, 01:45 PM
I only got 100 japanese names getting 1200 views last month, with a misery 3.5% CTR (probably due to lack of japanese ads). I was a little slow in registering Japanese names - the good ones were gone by early December. I believe that traffic on Japanese names will increase by a factor of 50 in 3 years - a combination of greater propensity to type-in and IE7.

So assuming that traffic increases 50 times, i'll be getting 50,000 views a month, and with a 20% CTR with japanese ads, that's 10,000 clicks a month.

Error, should be 600 views (the other 600 came from North America) over about 100 Japanese domains.

Sell 1 or 2 good domains
Then develop 5 to 10
You'll start to notice after they index they'll pay for themselves easily.
The traffic is totally different.
Parking is Good for a large percentage of your portfolio but develop some.
Even a 4 page site would do more than some parking options.

Yes, i'm aware, development can make a big difference. There's also going to be rationalization of PPC for different regions - PPC for Russian and Arabic to some extent is going to fall.