PDA

View Full Version : domenforum members open minds to IDN

bwhhisc
30th May 2008, 12:04 AM
A little change of heart regarding IDNs I see....with about 38% of their members at domenforum.net in favor of the new idn.idn.
This is interesting as domenforum have long been anti-IDN so this is a change of heart for many members.

http://domenforum.net/showthread.php?t=46364

To read the forum in English, you can cut and paste the url listing and plug it into the bottom line of www.google.com/translate.
That will give you the forum posts in half-ass readable English.

Seems that many of the domenforum members that are against idn.idn in Russia are worried about their ascii.ru domains losing value. Many others see the value and efficiency it will bring to the internet for searches, marketing, branding etc. etc. Kind of an interesting bit of conversation and rationalization.

rofsjan
31st May 2008, 01:41 PM
And Nic.ru clients are even more positive about cyrillic IDN.IDN.

bwhhisc
31st May 2008, 02:49 PM
And Nic.ru clients are even more positive about cyrillic IDN.IDN.

What are some of the points and discussion pro and con at domenforum? Is their main concern their ascii.ru domains
being devalued? And what are their thoughts on idn.com and idn.net being in use today?

Seems strange for anyone not to want urls in a language that their "customers" can read, especially in countries where
English is not widely used.

rofsjan
1st June 2008, 12:23 AM
What are some of the points and discussion pro and con at domenforum? Is their main concern their ascii.ru domains
being devalued? And what are their thoughts on idn.com and idn.net being in use today?

I've seen the following arguments against russian <IDN>.<IDN> in that thread:
1. The existing .ru-domains will become less valuable.
2. One can enter russian <IDN>.<IDN> only with a russian keyboard. This will isolate http://<russian IDN>.<IDN> from the rest of the world.
3. URL in russian will look ugly. Example:
вася.рф/Заглавная_страница.html will look like:
xn--80ad0c0c.рф/%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B0%D 1%8F_%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0 %B0.html
4. There will be yet another extention in Russia. Too much for one country.
5. email address in russian is not supported. example: логин@домен.рф.

I think that the main concern is that the existing .ru domains will be devalued.

I've seen somewhere another argument (probably in another thread) that the companies operating in russia will have to claim IDN's to prevent cybersquatting.

But these domainers also realise that russian IDN's are easy to use and to remember for the russian speaking end users.

Actually, I'm glad that there are many sceptic domainers. Thus there will be more chances for us during introduction of russian <IDN>.<IDN>.

Rubber Duck
1st June 2008, 06:53 AM
I am not even convinced that this forum is representative of the domaining scene in Russia.

I actually get the impression that most of them are expatriates.

bwhhisc
1st June 2008, 12:10 PM
I am not even convinced that this forum is representative of the domaining scene in Russia. I actually get the impression that most of them are expatriates.

We know that Alex the owner of the forum is from Chicago. But back to their commentary, I think they are doing a bit of a BS job on each other. They obviously have not paid attention to traffic for idn.com in Russian. My guess is that the majority of the group will be investing when idn.рф are released.

rofsjan
1st June 2008, 09:46 PM
My guess is that the majority of the group will be investing when idn.рф are released.

I think so too. They don't want to miss the boat.

I am not even convinced that this forum is representative of the domaining scene in Russia.

Agree. Polls at three russian registrars show us other picture.