PDA

View Full Version : SaudiNIC to ICANN- IDN.ccTLD fast track "expectations"

bwhhisc
1st June 2008, 02:47 PM
This 4/23/2008 letter would seem to indicate that Arabic is on the ICANN "fast track" program...no surprise there.
Was interesting to read their expectations of full control, and how that will be addressed back from ICANN.
Also the mention of the "slow govermental process that contradicts the fast track concept" comes as no surprise.

Time to rename the process the "Not so Fast Track" IMO. I guess this period will also give a good bit more time for
idn.com, idn.net to gain exposure and come into usage. Anyone know the status or penetration of IE7 in Arabic countries?

http://forum.icann.org/lists/idn-cctld-fast-track/msg00010.html

QUOTE:
We expect that during the delegation of IDN ccTLDs
- Countries/registries should not be forced to sign
documents/agreements they believe would limit
their full control over their IDN ccTLDs
- Signing documents/agreements may involve very
heavy and slow governmental process that contradicts
the fast track concept

Rubber Duck
1st June 2008, 06:21 PM
Firefox 3 is going to attempt a World Record for downloads anytime now, so browser are going to be very much back in the news.

Firefox 3 knocks spots off IE7. I have been running RC1 for weeks.

This 4/23/2008 letter would seem to indicate that Arabic is on the ICANN "fast track" program...no surprise there.
Was interesting to read their expectations of full control, and how that will be addressed back from ICANN.
Also the mention of the "slow govermental process that contradicts the fast track concept" comes as no surprise.

Time to rename the process the "Not so Fast Track" IMO. I guess this period will also give a good bit more time for
idn.com, idn.net to gain exposure and come into usage. Anyone know the status or penetration of IE7 in Arabic countries?

http://forum.icann.org/lists/idn-cctld-fast-track/msg00010.html

QUOTE:
We expect that during the delegation of IDN ccTLDs
- Countries/registries should not be forced to sign
documents/agreements they believe would limit
their full control over their IDN ccTLDs
- Signing documents/agreements may involve very
heavy and slow governmental process that contradicts
the fast track concept

camarro
1st June 2008, 06:29 PM
icann seems determined to take the long road just to make a few more bucks,
their "fast track" program reminds me of a old second hand car i use to have.

bwhhisc
1st June 2008, 08:17 PM
icann seems determined to take the long road just to make a few more bucks,
their "fast track" program reminds me of a old second hand car i use to have.

Will be interesting to see how things come to a head in Paris. Who knows, ICANN may even push to accelerate the aliasing
via DNAME or other means for .com, .net, .jp etc. to just show some progress that idn.idn is moving into the system. :)

I went onto ICANN blog and asked them about DNAME, aliasing etc. for .com, .jp etc. Hope they will give some answers.

http://public.icann.org/node/836

camarro
2nd June 2008, 11:55 AM
Will be interesting to see how things come to a head in Paris. Who knows, ICANN may even push to accelerate the aliasing
via DNAME or other means for .com, .net, .jp etc. to just show some progress that idn.idn is moving into the system. :)

I went onto ICANN blog and asked them about DNAME, aliasing etc. for .com, .jp etc. Hope they will give some answers.

http://public.icann.org/node/836

yes, i think they will definitely feel the need to do something, otherwise they are
at serious risk of being outrunned by the events itself and thus giving a poor image of their institution, browser support is giving them time has it is so slow to
implement itself but even that wont last for long, if they have any REAL "fast track"
ideas they better start moving otherwise they will look very bad in the picture.

burnsinternet
3rd June 2008, 10:25 AM
We have been saying this for years, but ICANN is ICANN.

They will do what they want in their own sweet time. When they do, we will all feel like this is THE step. Then we still wait....

Patience.

Also, IE8 is in Beta.... In time, all PCs will also be IDN capable. Patience.

Coincidence in timing? Yeah, sure.

Rubber Duck
3rd June 2008, 11:29 AM
Well, at the moment they seem very intent on not saying anything. They haven't given us any new concrete information for months.

For years they talked a lot whilst being very intent on not doing anything.

It would seem to me that something has definitely changed.

Whether, this means that they are now intending to do something under the radar, in the time honoured fashion, will only become apparent in Paris.

burnsinternet
7th June 2008, 07:53 AM
I think you are right, RD. I hope so, anyway.