PDA

View Full Version : Verification of Keyword

Rubber Duck
31st March 2006, 09:28 PM
I am seeking confirmation of the translation and status of the keyword:

لغت

I would be grateful for any assistance that anyone can provide in this matter.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
31st March 2006, 09:32 PM
It's farsi for 'Word'.

Rubber Duck
31st March 2006, 09:35 PM
It's farsi for 'Word'.

That was not quite what I was expecting. Could you elaborate at all?

touchring
31st March 2006, 09:36 PM
My sources just say "word". Maybe Fabfive can verify.

Rubber Duck
31st March 2006, 09:39 PM
Hi,

Is Fabfive a native speaker of Farsi?

thefabfive
31st March 2006, 09:53 PM
I get 'verb', 'vocabulary', 'word'. It seems to be used quite a bit in conjunction with هنگ, which I can only translate as 'legion'.

I gather that it could also mean 'dictionary' either with or without the other word. It could also have meaning in Urdu.

Edited - no, not a native speaker, or a speaker at all for that matter, but I'm flattered that I could be mistaken for one :).

Okay, did some more digging and found that فرهنگ mean 'lexicon', 'dictionary', 'culture'. These two words are used frequently in conjunction with لغت.

I'll go with 'vocabulary' judging from the context of several search results.

Rubber Duck
31st March 2006, 10:15 PM
I get 'verb', 'vocabulary', 'word'. It seems to be used quite a bit in conjunction with هنگ, which I can only translate as 'legion'.

I gather that it could also mean 'dictionary' either with or without the other word. It could also have meaning in Urdu.

Edited - no, not a native speaker, or a speaker at all for that matter, but I'm flattered that I could be mistaken for one :).

Okay, did some more digging and found that فرهنگ mean 'lexicon', 'dictionary', 'culture'. These two words are used frequently in conjunction with لغت.

I'll go with 'vocabulary' judging from the context of several search results.

Thanks for that. We are definitely in the right area. Trying the old trick of putting the word into Google and searching in conjunction with possible translations, I think we can eliminate verb, vocabulary and lexicon just leaving Word or Dictionary. I had previously believed it meant Dictionary and I have still to change my view on that, but it looks as though we will need to dig around a bit more.

Thanks Again
Dave

g
1st April 2006, 12:59 AM
it looks like language for me

but most probably dictionary