10th September 2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.jdnforum.com/index.php/topic,38.0.html

Drewbert
11th September 2008, 01:34 AM

They say there are 3 options.

a) Give .jp registrants .日本, too;
b) Issue .日本 separately; and
c) Alias .jp to .日本.

Given that it is widely known that c) was the option JPRS was aiming for, I would say they'll go with a), which is just the same as c) from a user perspective except they do it via database mirroring rather than tricks within DNS.

This is what .com.br does, IIRC.

gammascalper
11th September 2008, 03:25 AM

They say there are 3 options.

a) Give .jp registrants .日本, too;
b) Issue .日本 separately; and
c) Alias .jp to .日本.

Given that it is widely known that c) was the option JPRS was aiming for, I would say they'll go with a), which is just the same as c) from a user perspective except they do it via database mirroring rather than tricks within DNS.

This is what .com.br does, IIRC.

Phew. That's a relief.

Do they mention a timeline at all?

Ryu
11th September 2008, 09:53 PM
Phew. That's a relief.

Do they mention a timeline at all?

They report about ICANN proposed schedule but not of their own.

bwhhisc
12th September 2008, 01:04 AM
Ryu,
Maybe you can make contact with JPRS as well as the person running their IDN program and suggest the solution that Drewbert presented. Sure be worth getting some voices heard before someone decided to sunrise .日本 as a whole new TLD.

Ryu
14th September 2008, 07:13 AM
I feel a little reluctant to contact an organisation that i believe is very much against domainers.

Honestly, I don't want them to know me. It's probably in my best interest to keep a low profile.

Rubber Duck
14th September 2008, 11:02 AM
And that is precisely why Verisign have and will continue to make a fortune out of not giving a stuff who registers their domains.

bwhhisc
14th September 2008, 01:44 PM
And that is precisely why Verisign have and will continue to make a fortune out of not giving a stuff who registers their domains.

There no doubt would be assetions that idn.jp and idn.日本 could be "confusing similar" to internet users once IDN rolls out. To complicate things, .jp publically issued their study on aliasing by DNAME, which no doubt was aimed at providing a solution to alias .jp. Given that the only "logical" alias for .jp seems to be .日本 , one might conclude they will offer that to their existing .jp customers or perhaps face some legal snafoos that could tie things up for a good while.

I don't know Japanese laws, but for JPRS to flat out sunrise idn.日本 as a "new" extention would effectively leave their idn.jp customers holding the bag...not a good thing considering many have paid renewal fees for over 5 years. A possible scenerio could be to offer existing idn.jp holders both .jp and also .日本 for a nominal additional fee. For those that decline this option, choosing to hold only the idn.jp (latin) then they could potentially put .日本 up for open registration.

Things are going to get interesting fast. Does anyone know if there is any other group besides JPRS that is in position to put forward a proposal to manage idn.idn?

https://www.centr.org/main/4329-CTR/version/default/part/AttachmentData/data

markits
14th September 2008, 03:34 PM
Ryu

You should be proud of your domaining activities. From the narrow national interest point of view, you are simply protecting many top JP domains from being legally owned by foreign nationalities. JPRS should really be grateful to what you are doing.

Maybe there is educational work needs to be done.

Cheers

Ryu
14th September 2008, 04:36 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong about JPRS trying to keep jp names away from domainers.

It's not really the issue of nationalism.