PDA

View Full Version : What's your financial damage from the current US-born crisis?

Ryu
27th September 2008, 03:15 AM
I am interested to know how badly IDNers have been hit by the current US-born financial crisis?

It cannot be that the world of IDNing is totally immune from the real world economy. And I frankly admit that I have lost certain % of my net worth thanks the financial turmoil.

It's anonymous poll. Please answer roughly how much of your net worth (cash, saving, stocks, real estate, etc) has been lost due to the crisis.

For those of you who consider your IDNs to be the major part of your asset, please value them only at their acquisition cost (i.e., accumulative registration/purchase cost) for the purpose of this poll. Thanks.

touchring
27th September 2008, 06:36 AM
I think you have to compare 2008 with 2005, it would not be realistic to compare September 2008 with February 2007! Almost no one practicing safe investing is spared, even Soros and Buffet are burnt.

I think anyone who has not lost more than 20% (in Euro ;)) is actually earning.

Ryu
27th September 2008, 02:52 PM
well, i agree with you that most investers are burnt this time. in fact, that's the assumption of my poll. my question is not if but how badly people got hit...

i posted this poll because i wanted to know if IDNers purchasing power has been compromised by the ongoing crisis.

Rubber Duck
27th September 2008, 03:08 PM
In a way, it is a bit of daft question. IDNers have protected themselves against US contraction by putting their money in an investment that is pretty much immune.

To count IDN investments at Par is meaningless. I paid 7 bucks for most of mine. Others have paid thousands. Are their domains forcibly worth more than mine?

It is also down to the degree of exposure. I tried to pursuade my father to reduce his property portfolio, but he didn't listen to some extent, I guess I did get hit, as he is in his 80s and unlikely to see much of a recovery in his lifetime.

At a personal finance level, I have done rather better. My partner and I have invested in propery in Czech Republic which is a totally different category to the UK, Spain or Ireland, and not in any way comparable to the grossly over-supplied US market. Other than that, the entire farm is in IDN. That is an investment position that I am very comfortable with.

phio
27th September 2008, 06:50 PM
not in any way comparable to the grossly over-supplied US market.

A survey some time ago sited that over 1 billion people wanted to move to the US...
not sure it is still the case, but there will always be a demand for real estate here.

We do have a problem currently with certain rich people wanting to get richer at the cost of the common man.

I don't think IDNs have been hit by the current downtrend, I also feel safe in this investment.

Rubber Duck
27th September 2008, 07:07 PM
A survey some time ago sited that over 1 billion people wanted to move to the US...

And how many of those would reach the criteria for a mortgage in the current environment or be able to pay cash?

touchring
27th September 2008, 07:32 PM
I don't think IDNs have been hit by the current downtrend, I also feel safe in this investment.

I know there are some of us here that went into both ascii and idns in 2007 at the same time (went into means buying, not just registering crap) and lost a lot of money in asciis recently (more than 50%), while their idn portfolio appreciated at least by a fold.

Ryu
28th September 2008, 04:26 AM
And how many of those would reach the criteria for a mortgage in the current environment or be able to pay cash?

You should ask if IDNs can be accepted as a mortgage.