PDA

View Full Version : Japan- "greatest opportunity for growth in the domain market"

bwhhisc
28th September 2008, 03:00 PM
One writers opinion on the future of domain investments. Some INTERESTING reading here about the early days of JPRS, Microsoft, "price gouging", and lessons learned. Well worth the read, especially his theory on SEO KEYWORD campaigns, versus advertising DOMAIN NAMES. Wow! Put that strategy in your pipe and smoke on it. :o

http://www.circleid.com/posts/89228_japan_domain_name_market/

QUOTE:
Ever sat at one of the VeriSign "State of the domain" meetings at any of the ICANN meetings? Or read their reports about countries with the greatest opportunity in domains? Almost without question you will learn that Japan is earmarked as the country with the greatest opportunity for growth in the domain market. They take into consideration important factors such as GDP of a country, internet population, and current domain registration levels. With this they compare registrations with nations from around the world to come up with some predicted level of domain registrations a country should have.

Most European countries and North America come within some kind of expected range of registrations. But Japan with strong GDP, one of the highest internet-use-countries (by percentage) in the world and their broadband connectivity their ability to access and use the internet is among the highest ranking in the world. But for some reason earlier this year when the total number .jp registrations crossed the 1 million mark for the very first time, Japan Registry Services (JPRS), the registry for .jp domains, threw a large party to celebrate their great success. But 1 million domains for the second largest economy in the world… a great success?

Having been one of the only non-Japanese to have a moderate success in domains in Japan, I will attempt to demystify the situation. I am commonly asked at ICANN and domainer events about the Japanese market, so I decided to try and share some of my thoughts, opinions and findings (which in no way whatsoever represent anyone's views but my own personal views). This article has been running around my head for some months, but this week a trip to Tokyo pushed me over the edge when I saw Microsoft's new ad campaign plastered all over the subway system. I checked every ad poster I could find and was not able to locate "microsoft.com" on any of their ads. I even checked the fine print at the bottom. Instead, you can find a Japanese-language keyword equivalent, clearly posted at the bottom of all the posters. I hate to offend or hurt the feelings of any true domain registrar, domainer or just domain lover, but the fact of the matter is that keywords are beginning, if not already, becoming more important than domains. If you are in the SEO business, there is probably not a more lucrative market in the world than Japan.

Many Japanese who are oblivious of what the registration levels are in comparative markets such as the United States, Germany, France, and United Kingdom, threw up their arms with pride in their accomplishment. Other Japanese, savvy to what is really going on, continue to shrug their heads in frustration with the continued price gouging and poor management by JPRS. So one might just say, well why don't we just open up operations in Japan and sell domains for less than anyone else? Well that is what Network Solutions thought in 1998 (press release) when they opened up operations in Japan. Or how about Dotster.com who made the Japan operations attempt in 2001 (press release). These are just a couple of examples of failed attempts to market entry into Japan by major domain registrars.

Short history lesson on domains in Japan

Japan was one of the earliest adopters of domains in the world. JPNIC started registering domains in 1992. Not knowing what form the internet and domains would take in the future, the Japanese government started with a very regulated system for registration. By the late 90's it was obvious that domain business should be moved into the private sector and not be an organization under government control. Through a very controversial process, .jp domains were privatized and the monopoly was given to JPRS (Japan Registry Services) in 2000. But let's back up to earlier events in 2000. That is the year that VeriSign launched Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) for Japanese, Chinese and Korean domains. Unfortunately these were domains that really could not be used. Coming from countries that use the Latin alphabet, we do not often consider the repercussions of what VeriSign did in these markets. Let's think of a scenario where the tables are turned. Imagine an internet where ONLY Japanese language domains can be used. Americans, Germans, French, Indians, etc. who have some limited knowledge of Japanese are the few privileged who get to buy and use a domain. Then one day, a company called VeriSign announces that they have Latin alphabet domains. Wow! We are all excited. And when registrations begin, we all rush and register over 1 million of them in the first 30 days (which if I recall correctly is about how many Japanese, Korean and Chinese domains were registered in the first 30 days of launch in 2000). We patiently wait for the day that we can use our precious domains in our own language. But after years of technical trouble, companies failing (see below) and backward domain politics, the user is what I call domain-raped.

If the Latin based character domain world was subjected to this treatment, I think we would be outraged and calling it a scam. Which is exactly what most Japanese customers who bought the domains were saying. Where did all the money for these unusable IDN domains go?

You would think that the mess VeriSign generated with these IDN names would lead to a great opportunity for newly founded JPRS, a Japanese corporation located in Tokyo, to come in as the knight in shining armor and save the day with a solution for Japanese users. "Great, someone on our own team, not some foreign company", was the thought of many Japanese I talked to. When IDN Japanese domains were launched by JPRS in the spring of 2001, they worked properly and resolved when using Microsoft's IE browser. But when trouble hit Real Names (the company supplying the technology for IDN resolution in IE) and Microsoft did not renew the contract in May of 2002, the Japanese people were once again domain-raped. JPRS contended that it was not their problem that the product they were selling absolutely would not work, and did not offer any discounts, grace periods or anything to the over 60,000 domains which were registered in the previous year. But luckily for the registry, they did not have to deal with the irate customers and the pain of having to explain that like the VeriSign IDN fiasco, they left the brunt of that battle to all the unarmed .jp accredited registrars.

So essentially the issue is that if given the choice, I believe people would rather use the alphabet/language they are familiar with. Japanese use Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana alphabets, thus their preference of language use on the internet is Japanese. Imagine if you were forced to always have to type in Japanese rather than your language of choice. I also did not mention the high prices that JPRS was charging for these unusable domains that people could not get refunds or grace periods for. Back in 2002 the typical price for a Japanese .jp domain name was somewhere around $70 per year of registration. 60,000 X $70 X 3 years of total unusable domains = a lot of ripped off Japanese.

It is my belief that due to the failed IDN launch by VeriSign and the even more inexcusable greedy acts of JPRS when Real Names failed, that the Japanese developed an allergy, a rash if you will, to IDN domain names. I also believe that ASCII domains have never exploded due to the simple fact that English is not their native language. There is also the issue of how registrars who offered IDN domains to customers feel. My company dealt with so many irate customers that we finally put a huge notice saying something like "JAPANESE IDN DOMAINS DON'T WORK! BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!" Most registrars I know have their own top 10 list of bad IDN customer support problems. So most registrars I know in Japan just don't want to deal with the angry customer of a product that cannot be used. Although with the new browsers, IDN domains do work these days, the bad after taste of yesteryears still remains.

So if domains are not the answer in Japan, what is?

Japanese domains could have been the answer, but as mentioned before, Japanese have developed an allergy to domains because of their terrible experiences in the past. So domains are beginning to be taken over by SEO keywords. Just starting this year, I have noticed more and more television and poster ads of prominent companies TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO VISIT THEIR WEBSITES, but NOT using domains in their ad campaigns. You might ask, how can you possibly try and drive traffic to a website without publishing or using a domain name. The answer is to hire an SEO company and optimize for a particular phrase or keyword that gets your company a #1 ranking in Yahoo (Google is not as strong in Japan). So in North American or European markets where a company might have 10 different domains for 10 different services or campaigns, Japanese companies optimize #10 keywords for sections within their top domain to get picked up in the search engines. I think this shows by the fact that domains in ads seem to be dwindling in Japan and keywords are on the rise.

I hope this has helped to somewhat demystify why when Japan has so many strong economic factors, it still trails behind in domain registrations. At this point I think consumer confidence (and registrar confidence) in IDN Japanese names is so low that it will take significant time (and a lot of effort—possibly some registry willing to offer free IDN names) to somehow try and regain this consumer confidence. Otherwise I believe we will see a continued trend toward the 1 domain-multiple keyword optimization method of doing business. END QUOTE

28th September 2008, 03:21 PM
Writer's Personal Profile:

Darshaun Nadeau is the founder and former CEO of Solis, a Japanese corporation focused on domain registration and related management services. Darshaun founded Solis in 2001 with a partner and grew the company to an efficient 10 employee team by the time it was acquired by a publicly traded Japanese corporation, GMO Internet, Inc. in July of 2005.

Darshaun came to Japan in 1998 to finish his last year of college at Kyoto University of Foreign Studies. After finishing in 1999, Darshaun took his first job at an internet based recruiting-advertisement start-up in Tokyo where he worked for 7 months. After leaving the recruiting firm he founded his own job-information portal in 2000, later to sell his ownership stake in the latter half 2000.

Darshaun has received internet, print and television media coverage.
Darshaun established contracts for Solis in over 30 countries, at which times he received press release media coverage locally in more than 10 local languages.

http://www.ea-tokyo.com/seminars/spe...haunNadeau.php

Ryu
28th September 2008, 03:30 PM
I know how some Japanese went for IDNs many years ago and got burnt badly. Some folks almost became legend at local BBS for registering so many adult names...

Now those same IDNs are at different hands. The question is, will history repeat itself?

touchring
28th September 2008, 03:33 PM
I know how some Japanese went for IDNs many years ago and got burnt badly. Some folks almost became legend at local BBS for registering so many adult names...

Now those same IDNs are at different hands. The question is, will history repeat itself?

Adult names? lol

bwhhisc
28th September 2008, 03:33 PM
Writer's Personal Profile:

Darshaun Nadeau is the founder and former CEO of Solis, a Japanese corporation focused on domain registration and related management services. Darshaun founded Solis in 2001 with a partner and grew the company to an efficient 10 employee team by the time it was acquired by a publicly traded Japanese corporation, GMO Internet, Inc. in July of 2005.

Darshaun came to Japan in 1998 to finish his last year of college at Kyoto University of Foreign Studies. After finishing in 1999, Darshaun took his first job at an internet based recruiting-advertisement start-up in Tokyo where he worked for 7 months. After leaving the recruiting firm he founded his own job-information portal in 2000, later to sell his ownership stake in the latter half 2000.

Darshaun has received internet, print and television media coverage.
Darshaun established contracts for Solis in over 30 countries, at which times he received press release media coverage locally in more than 10 local languages.

http://www.ea-tokyo.com/seminars/spe...haunNadeau.php

Perhaps he tried to establish himself as a Japanese Registrar that was not able to overcome JPRS in establishing any traction or foothold. Anyone know who is in the bidding with ICANN for the rights to idn.idn in Japan? Maybe this guy has some insight; did you notice if he has a blog?

bwhhisc
28th September 2008, 03:40 PM
QUOTE FROM ARTICLE:
Other Japanese, savvy to what is really going on, continue to shrug their heads in frustration with the continued price gouging and poor management by JPRS. END QUOTE

He is clearly out of touch in that idn.jp names can be had for less that $7 at some of the Japanese registrars like value-domain.

http://www.value-domain.com/?ref=vdvd

28th September 2008, 03:42 PM
For the record, Alpha found his history which i think is making him unobjective.

History Repeats :)

bwhhisc
28th September 2008, 03:50 PM
For the record, Alpha found his history which i think is making him unobjective.
History Repeats :)

I don't necessarily think his SEO theory is way off base, but the rollout of idn.idn is going to be mega business for advertising agencies, marketing campaigns, and product niche branding. There is no doubt there will be budgets to secure that space on the web, or at least get the domains and protect your product market areas. To sit on your hands could allow a competitor to grab a possible overwhelming strategic advantage for internet search.

IMO, those SEO keyword searches in many cases will take people to page 1 of yahoo or google where they will find.....IDN.com, IDN.jp, IDN.IDN websites as well as ascii.jp websites all available for the customer to choose and click onto.

Ryu
28th September 2008, 04:45 PM
He is clearly out of touch in that idn.jp names can be had for less that $7 at some of the Japanese registrars like value-domain.

He is mainly talking about ascii.jp in this paragraph. Notice that the "accomplishment" he mentioned in one sentence before the one you quoted was about the total number of .jp registrations crossing the 1 million mark. And as you probably know, IDN.jp is only a fraction of the 1 million. And as far as I know, ascii.jp is as expensive as hell wherever you turn your head to.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/89228_japan_domain_name_market/

QUOTE:

When IDN Japanese domains were launched by JPRS in the spring of 2001, they worked properly and resolved when using Microsoft's IE browser. But when trouble hit Real Names (the company supplying the technology for IDN resolution in IE) and Microsoft did not renew the contract in May of 2002, the Japanese people were once again domain-raped.

END QUOTE

If I am not mistaken, what we had was a system where people coule type in IDN.jp in the browser bar, and then IE automatically took you to the relevant ascii site. Of course, for registrants to use this service they had to set their IDN nameserver to that of Real Names (it's a name of the US company that partnered with Microsoft).

On the side note, Real Names was initially trying to promote the system where people could type a keyword in the Japanese language in the browser bar (without any extension) and then they would be taken to relevant ascii site. It wasn't even domain names back then, just some business deal with Microsoft.

Also, according to one article, it was basically Microsoft that domain raped everyone. Microsoft apparently determined that it was in their best interest to take users to MSN search results than to just one website. That's how Microsoft said bye bye to Real Names and IDN owners. [Caution: The information in this paragraph may be very biased as it's based on only one article whose reporter took information from Real Names website.]

Rubber Duck
28th September 2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, and look where all this got Microsoft.

Real Names, yes I heard a few people talk about them some year back?

Yes, of course Japan needs SEO. Does he think America doesn't?

SEO is absolutely essential. It is even more essential if you have a shit domain name. Of course the single most important thing you can do SEO wise is get a decent name.

Ever tried acquiring a name that means SEO? Thought not. :D

IDNCowboy
29th September 2008, 02:30 AM
QUOTE FROM ARTICLE:
Other Japanese, savvy to what is really going on, continue to shrug their heads in frustration with the continued price gouging and poor management by JPRS. END QUOTE

The only one gouging is him.... His registrar charges much more than his competitors...

Rubber Duck
29th September 2008, 05:35 AM
The only one gouging is him.... His registrar charges much more than his competitors...

Maybe JPRS aren't giving him the same discount as his local competitors. :D

Ryu
29th September 2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe JPRS aren't giving him the same discount as his local competitors. :D

there is no discount to begin with for ascii.jp.

touchring
29th September 2008, 04:45 PM
QUOTE FROM ARTICLE:

Thks Bill for the info, how long does it takes to transfer an expiring name from https://www.jp-domains.com/ to say value-domain.com? I got 2 names expiring in 3 weeks at jp-domains.

thegenius1
29th September 2008, 04:49 PM
Thks Bill for the info, how long does it takes to transfer an expiring name from https://www.jp-domains.com/ to say value-domain.com? I got 2 names expiring in 3 weeks at jp-domains.

In the last month you cannot x-fer a name until its renewed as far as I'm aware. Or at least its like that going from vd to jpdomains

touchring
29th September 2008, 04:52 PM
In the last month you cannot x-fer a name until its renewed as far as I'm aware. Or at least its like that going from vd to jpdomains

Thanks, i guess next round then.

But y will you transfer from vd to jpd when vd is cheaper? lol

thegenius1
29th September 2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks, i guess next round then.

But y will you transfer from vd to jpd when vd is cheaper? lol

VD is a Japanese interface , when selling names some prefer to have theirs at jpd.

Any other questions i'll have to charge you a consultation fee lol j/k

Ryu
30th September 2008, 02:49 AM

It depends on the date. I never had trouble transfering names from VD to jp-domains in the early date of the last month. It might also depend on the method of transfer as there are two ways to transfer .jp names.

bwhhisc
30th September 2008, 10:59 AM

I only register with jp-domains. It costs a bit more, but worth it to me for the security and personal service.