PDA

View Full Version : Stumped

GreekCousin
3rd April 2006, 08:57 AM
Hi Im a newby to dns nevermind idns.:) Heres what Im finding a bit confuseing.Say if a man in Shanghai has a website call for eg xyz.com tho in chinese script and a guy in london has a website with the same name essentially but in the roman alphabet, come the inception of the punycode revolution, would there then be two seperate websites with the same name?:confused:

Rubber Duck
3rd April 2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Im a newby to dns nevermind idns.:) Heres what Im finding a bit confuseing.Say if a man in Shanghai has a website call for eg xyz.com tho in chinese script and a guy in london has a website with the same name essentially but in the roman alphabet, come the inception of the punycode revolution, would there then be two seperate websites with the same name?:confused:

Don't worry, the confusion over these issues is the reason the site was created.

The keyword or second level does not equate one domain for a another the uniqueness is maintained. The only situation that this might ever arise in is where a domain is blocked because of character mapping such as with Traditional and Simplified Chinese. That could occur because if you have one then you may effectively have rights over the other.

With latin even a domain with accents will not resolve to the unaccented form or visa versa.

By contrast the Top Level will map to Chinese Character equivalents as agreed with ICANN. Dot Com may be represented in dozens of different forms which will be meaningful and convenient for local users. These representations will effectively be Aliases and will all resolve the same registry, therefore the uniqueness of the IP address will be maintained.

There is also a lot of confusion with Trademarks. Simply though, Trademarks are graphical representations and the fact that a word means or even is phonetically identical to an English word does not constitute a trademark infringement. It is only a trademark infringement if the written version is the same or very similar.

blastfromthepast
3rd April 2006, 10:45 AM

YES.

If a man in Shanghai has a domain name 上海.com, (上海 means Shanghai), and a guy in London has the domain Shanghai.com, in Latin letters, they would be two separate websites.

This makes Latin name domain names that are geared towards Chinese almost worthless.

GreekCousin
3rd April 2006, 11:53 AM
Ok Its becoming clearer.Rubber Duck I enjoyed reading some of your threads on dnforum esp. the Tokyo.com controversy - thought u won out!!! ;)

'This makes Latin name domain names that are geared towards Chinese almost worthless.'

OK but I thought I read on here that idns would make .coms more valuable - is that simply due to accessing a larger non-english speaking audience?

Olney
3rd April 2006, 11:59 AM
You have to remember when someone on here writes dot com they are usually talking IDNs dot com.

GreekCousin
3rd April 2006, 12:07 PM
Oh ok tnx.

blastfromthepast
3rd April 2006, 12:12 PM
'This makes Latin name domain names that are geared towards Chinese almost worthless.'

OK but I thought I read on here that idns would make .coms more valuable - is that simply due to accessing a larger non-english speaking audience?

What I meant is, 中国.com is so much more valuable than China.com.

GreekCousin
3rd April 2006, 12:29 PM
Cool.I did a search of city names in english a while ago and found that there
were some available but only obscure cities in outer mongolia with 20,000 inhabitants.Assuming this is also the case with idns what sort of price should I be looking to pay for a not altogether unheard of russian or chinese or arabic cityname?

kenne
3rd April 2006, 04:54 PM
were some available but only obscure cities in outer mongolia with 20,000 inhabitants.Assuming this is also the case with idns what sort of price should I be looking to pay for a not altogether unheard of russian or chinese or arabic cityname?

Do OuterMongolians even speak Chinese?

Rubber Duck
3rd April 2006, 05:19 PM
Ok Its becoming clearer.Rubber Duck I enjoyed reading some of your threads on dnforum esp. the Tokyo.com controversy - thought u won out!!! ;)

I believe it greatly increases the potential to create meaningful terms globallly therefore the registry could grow to ten times its current size which would have been unimaginable just in ASCII. I think if there 500M dot coms that would greatly reinforce it as a global brand.

blastfromthepast
4th April 2006, 03:04 PM

Almost all of the Russian, Chinese, and Arabic cities are taken. Good luck with Mongolian though.