PDA

View Full Version : So, you want to get a Chinese language domain name?

blastfromthepast
3rd April 2006, 10:38 AM
So, you want to get a Chinese language domain name?
20 March, 2006, 17:27

In all likelihood, Chinese language domain names will soon enter the life of the virtual world. The ICANN corporation, which is responsible for the delegation of internet address domains on the Internet, is already actively testing Chinese language domain names.

As RU-CENTER reports, the first Chinese domain name auction took place, with over 10 domain names being sold, among them: lenovo3000.com, tiaotiaolong.com, maxiaotiao.com, ganxie.net, duomeizi.com, and even a domain "jian lin duan wu ji", which, if translated from the Chinese, is the name of the famous dragon festival in South Korea, "jia chun qiu", which means "Family, Spring, and Fall".

The opening price for the above-named domains ranged from 200 yuan (about US$ 25) to 30 000 Chinese yuan ($US 3750).

"Domain name auctions have a great future, even if we are talking about Chinese language domains. The prices for multilingual domains, it is likely, will be even higher [in the future], because they are easier to use and are more natural for Chinese people, and these names are more applicable for those companies that are developing their brands Under-heaven", said Liu Zhiyan, the representative of the Chinese national information center CNNIC.

According to him, the launch of the auction shows how important and relevant the domain name industry is for entrepreneurs in China. CNNIC even considers that the auctioning and sale of domain names will be a very popular thing Under-heaven.

Translated from Russian by Blastfromthepast.
Original: http://itnews.com.ua/20711.html

Note: I found the use of "Under-heaven" somewhat strange.

bramiozo
3rd April 2006, 11:13 AM
thanks for the translation :)

bwhhisc
3rd April 2006, 11:39 AM
Aw shucks! Most of those words were on my 'to reg' list! lol. The term underheaven is pretty interesting, seems we only get 2 choices offered. Anyone know what this comes from?

blastfromthepast
3rd April 2006, 11:55 AM
Tianxia
Tianxia (天下 pinyin: tiānxià) literally means "under heaven". This term is usually used in the context of civil wars or periods of division, in which whoever ends up reunifying China is said to have gotten tianxia, or everything under heaven. Although it was known since ancient times that this is, geographically speaking, not strictly true, this metaphor is nevertheless very common in both ancient and modern usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_China

idnceo
3rd April 2006, 12:48 PM
Aw shucks! Most of those words were on my 'to reg' list! lol.

i hope this doesnt apply to me when i talked about domains i couldnt register. If you give me money to multiply my registrations tenfold without selling anymore my domains, im sure i wouldnt have to rethink if i should become another vacuum cleaner. Meanwhile i regret when domains i know were available long before were taken.

anyway whatever, thanks to blastfromthepast for the translation.

Giant
3rd April 2006, 05:41 PM
Note: I found the use of "Under-heaven" somewhat strange.

I read about this news in Chinese a few days ago, but I am not sure the word 天下 was used.

天下 means the world. The ancient Chinese considered the world as big as China. Even there could be people outside China, but they were UN-important.

Chinese still use 天下 today to mean the world, but only emthatically. We can also find it in some idioms.

Ex:

天下无敌 matchless in the world.
天下太平 Peace on earth.

jose
3rd April 2006, 06:54 PM
the first Chinese domain name auction took place...

Where?!

Giant
3rd April 2006, 09:56 PM

Where?!

Chengdu City, Sichuan Province, China.

blastfromthepast
4th April 2006, 12:07 AM
I thought they had some kind of Chinese source material. Actually, this story was pulled and translated from the English InterFax story and translated into Russian, and they added the "underheaven" wording themselves. What a waste for me to translate it back into English!

Here's the original: http://www.interfax.cn/showfeature.asp?aid=11025&slug=INTERNET

http://www.interfax.cn/uploadimg/20063169843657.gif