PDA

View Full Version : Short Japanese domain good to buy?

cms
4th April 2006, 03:17 AM
Short (1-3 character) domains seem to be worth a lot of money nowadays and I would like to know if jp domains that are short to type may be worth money in the future.

The one I was thinking of getting in particular was 卯.jp, which is not yet registered. I put the kanji through the Google translator and Nifty translate, and apparantly it doesn't mean anything on its own (correct me if I'm wrong).

All someone would need to type this domain is the letter "U", then the spacebar one time to convert to the kanji, then type .jp.

Do you think this is a domain, or other 2-keystroke domains are worth the price of a JP registration?

Edwin
4th April 2006, 04:13 AM
卯 means "hare" in the Chinese Zodiac.

More generally, I don't believe it's worth registering "nonsense" words just because they're short. Japanese people have no trouble reading words of any length, just like English speakers can read "ant" or "unpleasant" equally easily.

touchring
4th April 2006, 04:19 AM
Rabbit in Chinese is 兔 - that's my sign. :)

idnowner
4th April 2006, 04:22 AM
卯 means "hare" in the Chinese Zodiac.

More generally, I don't believe it's worth registering "nonsense" words just because they're short. Japanese people have no trouble reading words of any length, just like English speakers can read "ant" or "unpleasant" equally easily.

Unpleasant was just a little bit tougher than ant.

When I saw "Unpleasant," got it a little confused with Unpheasant.

Now, as for "Ant," that one was a walk in the park.

yanni
4th April 2006, 05:14 AM
[QUOTE=idnowner]Unpheasant.
QUOTE]

Is that a legit word?

idnowner
4th April 2006, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=idnowner]Unpheasant.
QUOTE]

Is that a legit word?

Well, if you remove all the phesants from your yard, do you not unpheasant the yard?