PDA

View Full Version : ICANN Concludes 25th International Public Meeting in Wellington

zfreud
4th April 2006, 11:59 AM
"The Wellington meeting also saw developments in relation to Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs). Strong community feedback was received throughout the week that backed ICANN's progress towards the implementation of non Latin character sets into the Root, following a period of thorough testing to ensure that stability of the DNS is maintained. A collective desire was expressed by the community that ICANN should invest substantial resources to ensure that the IDN process is completed in the shortest possible timeframe. ICANN has already made clear its intention to commit substantial resources in this area."

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-03apr06.htm

drbiohealth
4th April 2006, 01:16 PM
Looks good! Seems like a consensus is developing.

Rubber Duck
4th April 2006, 01:17 PM
"The Wellington meeting also saw developments in relation to Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs). Strong community feedback was received throughout the week that backed ICANN's progress towards the implementation of non Latin character sets into the Root, following a period of thorough testing to ensure that stability of the DNS is maintained. A collective desire was expressed by the community that ICANN should invest substantial resources to ensure that the IDN process is completed in the shortest possible timeframe. ICANN has already made clear its intention to commit substantial resources in this area."

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-03apr06.htm

Yes I went to ICANN site and searched all the artilces using the search term IDN. Having scanned through it all and reading between the lines a little. I would say it looks like sh*t or bust to get DNAME implemented before Christmas!

Giant
4th April 2006, 04:01 PM
I thought they canceled IDN already (4 days ago). Did they restart the whole thing again? :-)

Rubber Duck
4th April 2006, 04:06 PM
I thought they canceled IDN already (4 days ago). Did they restart the whole thing again? :-)

Joking aside, I have noticed in recent days that people are starting to drop the Punycode. Is this because Domainsite.com have introduced a Whois that supports the raw Unicode, or is it that many peopel are starting to feel so confident with IDN that they are starting to use them in the ways that were originally intended?

Is xn-- going to be just the preserve of Techies and Lawyers?

grunf
4th April 2006, 04:30 PM
Hi,

regarding punnycode I'd say that is exactly the case. To me, the excitement is about Unicode, not punny and I have started using it from the beginning. Only where I definitelly can't, then I use punnycode. For example, only so that I can see the Unicode characters in the Address, I started using Firefox. And I am a tech proffessional. On the other hand I am sending punnycode to people that I suspect are using IE - but am looking forward to IE7.