PDA

View Full Version : Trad Chinese change to Simplified Chinese?

dnnames
25th October 2008, 11:33 AM
I have registered some Chinese domains in Traditional chinese, but I should have really registered them in Simplified...

I was wondering whether there is any way of changing them to simplified? Maybe at renewal when you add and extra year?

Pretty annoying if it has more value/use in one form, but you can't change it even if you have blocked the other.

touchring
25th October 2008, 11:48 AM
I have registered some Chinese domains in Traditional chinese, but I should have really registered them in Simplified...

I was wondering whether there is any way of changing them to simplified? Maybe at renewal when you add and extra year?

Pretty annoying if it has more value/use in one form, but you can't change it even if you have blocked the other.

You can't change it.

dnnames
25th October 2008, 11:51 AM
Arg. I wonder whether they will allow such a change later on. I guess it would be so difficult to do though..

touchring
25th October 2008, 12:11 PM
Arg. I wonder whether they will allow such a change later on. I guess it would be so difficult to do though..

Y would they bother? just to make a decision on that, how much money must be spent on meetings and traveling expenses?

Rubber Duck
25th October 2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think this will be a problem longer-term. Verisign did previously indicate a intention to make this available.

What I suspect will happen is that you will be able to subscribe for C Name mirroring at some point in time, which is probably exactly what the Chinese are already giving you. I suspect though you will have to subscribe.

sbe18
25th October 2008, 07:32 PM
Hong Kong and Taiwan markets will still find your names if they are good names...

and many overseas Chinese communities are still Traditional users also...

my 2 cents....

Steve

dnnames
25th October 2008, 08:36 PM
I know that HK and Taiwan markets can find the name, but the names in question are Chinese city domains. Oh well.

Rubber Duck
25th October 2008, 08:42 PM
I know that HK and Taiwan markets can find the name, but the names in question are Chinese city domains. Oh well.

Which of course are of interest to all. I have a load of these, but mine don't map. There is a difference between translation equivalence and mapping equivalence. Mine must be of interest because they are really important cities.

On the plus side Baidu does equate terms. Search either keyword and you get all the results anyway. Simplified first.

dnnames
25th October 2008, 09:59 PM
Ah I see, thanks guys.