PDA

View Full Version : The reason why [Do not buy any Indian IDN's]

IDNer
28th October 2008, 08:11 AM
Keral. Patel (Nick) - a moderator of namepros says -

Do not buy any Indian IDN's

China has Chinese Operating systems.
Does India has Hindi Operating systems, Gujarati Operating systems?

I firmly believe there will be no value at all. Just see the mentality of Indian companies over here. They will register a long long long domain .org even if you offer them to sell your short and to the point .com for just 20 USD. They will still go for the $8 USD option.

Most of the companies/businesses here do not even have a computer tech department.

.in and .co.in are struggling it might take some years before they are established very well.

1 simple thing is an Indian who knows English earns enough to have a PC and Internet. Those who do not know English also earns but then they are in quite different business and as far as I am seeing they will not be using any PC's at all. To even read the instructions on the PC like "Click here" they need to know basic English and if they know Basic English then they can type in .coms

If you are considering people who really don't know English to surf the web. Then it is the most unrealistic dream you are looking at. The person who doesn't knows English doesn't even knows what is a computer. So forget him.

If you are predicting there will be a PC in every home by the end of 2015 then also you are dreaming as there aren't even TV's in every home right now. So they will first buy their TV and then they might think about a PC.

As far as new generation is concerned. As I mentioned before they are ready for English. Those who attend schools are taught Computers in English. Those who don't attend schools, don't count them as your target audience as they will not be visiting the internet.

Okay I am an Indian and I am online from last 5 years everyday for atleast 14 hours per day. Did I myself ever typed a IDN? - NO

I might have visited more then 100,000 different websites but I still haven't visited one IDN till today. I am a domainer too and I have the knowledge of IDN and all this firefox support yet I am not using IDN's. So expecting a kid or two who don't know English to go to cyber cafe or get their Own PC and fireup their firefox and visit your IDN's is atleast 100 years from now.

If you wanna invest then invest in it but don't just buy in loads of IDN's because you can ask to big domainers what renewal fees means. Renewal fees can break a back financially when the domains are not earning.

[This is just my opinion]

http://www.namepros.com/527409-rate-the-indian-languages-2.html#post3131979

Rubber Duck
28th October 2008, 08:22 AM
Well he is a Moderator at Namepros. Need I say more?

Namepros have mangage to build a higher concentration of complete fuckheads than just about anywhere else on the Internet.

alexd
28th October 2008, 08:34 AM
I read that post on NP last night, and honestly thought it was a very interesting discussion. Unless one actually resides in a country and can see first hand what life is like, I think that they would be in a better position than an outsider with regards to how IDNs would work there.

Of course, you never can know all of the facts about specific countries and ways of life, and with India, the numbers are so huge, but it was interesting to get a much more detailed explanation as to why this person believes IDNs in India won't take off right away.

Wot
28th October 2008, 10:07 AM
I read that post on NP last night, and honestly thought it was a very interesting discussion. Unless one actually resides in a country and can see first hand what life is like, I think that they would be in a better position than an outsider with regards to how IDNs would work there.

Of course, you never can know all of the facts about specific countries and ways of life, and with India, the numbers are so huge, but it was interesting to get a much more detailed explanation as to why this person believes IDNs in India won't take off right away.

I agree,the consensus from a number of India based domainers is that Indian idn are future /future. Why should their opinions not be significant and at least be heeded.

Obviously those that hold a bucketload of Hindi /Tamil etc idn will likely have differing opinions. :rolleyes:

Rubber Duck
28th October 2008, 10:08 AM
I love the illiteracy figures.

Anything to do with trying to teach people to read and write in a language they cannot even speak?

Rubber Duck
28th October 2008, 10:17 AM
By the way, there is absolutely nothing new about any of these arguments.

I have heard exactly the same arguments over and over again, from Russian speakers in regards to Russian, Chinese in regard to Chinese, Japanese in regard to Japanese and Arabic in regard to Arabic.

It is always the same. A few well educated priviledged people with what they consider good English dot com portfolios attempting to defend their own interests. The whole point though, it is all totally futile. People will use the net in whatever language they feel most comfortable in regardless. American domainers will invest in whatever they feel comfortable with regardless of what actually makes any commercial sense. And those that have battled hard to enter what seems to be the establishment will battle to protect their standing, even if they are up to their knees in shit.

bwhhisc
28th October 2008, 10:56 AM
He talks about home computers...which people will get after they get first get their TV sets. But that's just 1% of the puzzle.

1- Computers and TV's is where he's got it all wrong....for India its going to be all about the phones that connect to the internet and will be not only dirt cheap, but commonplace and even more affordable in the next 5 years. The majority of users will be people that don't speak English and the internet will be mainly in Indian languages from those devices.

2- Companies and businesses will certainly want to own keywords in the various languages of their customers if they learned anything about the .com and .in uptake and current prices for domains. IDN should be even more attractive since close to 100% of people seeing their ad, billboard etc. will know what it means.

camarro
28th October 2008, 11:04 AM
this guy isn´t saying nothing we haven´t heard before from other native speakers,
we all know that indian languages is a long run project.
bottom line, those who believe in indian idn's will hold on to them and continue supporting the renewal costs, those who don´t, fell free to pass them by, time will tell
who make the right choice.
we are all gambling here, this may be a longer shot than some of the other languages but the possible returns are huge, native opinions are welcome but thinking with our own minds and acting according will always be the best option as far as i'm concerned.

Rubber Duck
28th October 2008, 11:16 AM
this guy isn´t saying nothing we haven´t heard before from other native speakers,
bottom line, those who believe in indian idn's will hold on to them and continue supporting the renewal costs, those who don´t, fell free to pass them by, time will tell
we are all gambling here, this may be a longer shot than some of the other languages but the possible returns are huge, native opinions are welcome but thinking with our own minds and acting according will always be the best option as far as i'm concerned.

It should be noted that Native Opinion is not unanimous here.

Do the opinions of this lot account for anything at all?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Mumbai/16_crore_Indian_surfers_are_in_regional_language_web_/articleshow/3564292.cms

bwhhisc
28th October 2008, 11:24 AM
this guy isn´t saying nothing we haven´t heard before from other native speakers, we all know that indian languages is a long run project. bottom line, those who believe in indian idn's will hold on to them and continue supporting the renewal costs, those who don´t, fell free to pass them by, time will tell who make the right choice. we are all gambling here, this may be a longer shot than some of the other languages but the possible returns are huge, native opinions are welcome but thinking with our own minds and acting according will always be the best option as far as i'm concerned.

Anyone that is active with Hindi domains knows they are thousands registered by Indian domainers. ICANN is going to unleash a massive amount of publicity for idn.idn in India sometime over the next 2 years...my guess is that is going to be quite a revolution in India as well.

Values of top Hindi domains are already at x,xxx and even xx,xxx. They ain't making anymore waterfront land and Hindi domains ain't ever gettin' any cheaper. :)

touchring
28th October 2008, 11:55 AM

If you ask me, the thing about idn depends a lot on nationalism, more than anything else. Literacy, computer usage, all can improve over time.

Ask the korean to speak English instead of Korean in his country, he will whack your head. lol

Rubber Duck
28th October 2008, 11:55 AM
Anyone that is active with Hindi domains knows they are thousands registered by Indian domainers. ICANN is going to unleash a massive amount of publicity for idn.idn in India sometime over the next 2 years...my guess is that is going to be quite a revolution in India as well.

Values of top Hindi domains are already at x,xxx and even xx,xxx. They ain't making anymore waterfront land and Hindi domains ain't ever gettin' any cheaper. :)

Well at the very top end, I only saw one domain auctioned. That seemed to fail to meet reserve at $2 Million dollars.

Like a domain markets it takes a while for reality to bite and markets to crystalise. For Hindi, it may take a little longer, but don't underestimate the importance of these markets or the wealth of many Indians.

Values are often largely distorted by the strength of the dollar. Impending currency realignments are likely to produce a more level play field. It just simply isn't true that the average American is about 15 times better off than the average Chinese or 50 times better off than average Indian.

Rubber Duck
28th October 2008, 12:01 PM
And perhaps you should take a look at this:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1971546/

bwhhisc
28th October 2008, 12:15 PM
Like a domain markets it takes a while for reality to bite and markets to crystalise. For Hindi, it may take a little longer, but don't underestimate the importance of these markets or the wealth of many Indians.

Values are often largely distorted by the strength of the dollar. Impending currency realignments are likely to produce a more level play field. It just simply isn't true that the average American is about 15 times better off than the average Chinese or 50 times better off than average Indian.

I suggested to the Indian domainers over at Namepros that they should use their language skills to reg some Hindi IDNs and bring them over here for a quick flip for 2x,3x, 4x, 5x times their reg fee. Better than the "$10 any name" market that basically goes on over there with people dumping their worthless ascii names. They might be surprised at how many good Hindi IDN domains are long gone.

Rubber Duck
28th October 2008, 12:22 PM
I suggested to the Indian domainers over at Namepros that they should use their language skills to reg some Hindi IDNs and bring them over here for a quick flip for 2x,3x, 4x, 5x times their reg fee. Better than the "$10 any name" market that basically goes on over there with people dumping their worthless ascii names. They might be surprised at how many good Hindi IDN domains are long gone.

But they can't. Indians only speak English, Stupid!

camarro
28th October 2008, 12:23 PM
It should be noted that Native Opinion is not unanimous here.

Do the opinions of this lot account for anything at all?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Mumbai/16_crore_Indian_surfers_are_in_regional_language_web_/articleshow/3564292.cms

yes, there are different native opinions about this, and with very valid points
on both sides, however the facts that non believers usually report can change very fast assuming the industry makes that effort, some have already done so, namely google, hardware is also becoming increasing inexpensive and india is a huge market for the manufacturers, i think it won't be long before someone makes affordable hardware for low income indians may that be mobile phones or cheap laptops and i'm betting that they won't use english
when they all go online.

camarro
28th October 2008, 12:27 PM

yes, quite a few taken by natives and growing, a good sign no doubt.

bwhhisc
28th October 2008, 01:21 PM
yes, quite a few taken by natives and growing, a good sign no doubt.

And you yourself are certainly enjoying the fruits as well. :)

bwhhisc
29th October 2008, 01:43 AM
The Indian domainers at Namepros are just getting grumpier at the notion that anyone will ever want to use Hindi idns!

NP Moderator Nick from India:
"All dreams all of them beating their own drums because they have already invested into Indian IDN's. They do not want to except that it is a dead investment. Waiting 5 years will make .coms more popular in India. Maybe co.ins and .ins but How can you expect an Indian to type in the IDN. This is the most foolish Idea I have ever heard in my life. Sorry to shatter your dreams but you people need to wake up from this Indian IDN dreams".

Seems someone pointed out a $4,000 Hindi idn sale to them. :eek:

http://www.namepros.com/idn-discussion/527409-rate-the-indian-languages.html

tee1
29th October 2008, 02:36 AM
explorer's signature comes to mind here.

"Asking a local domainer who missed the boat on IDNs in his language if IDNs are valuable is like asking your wife whether your mistress is pretty."

with a IDN portfolio of "0" why would he think they are valuable, I would like to know if he ever searched for Hindi IDNs, a cup of coffee says he ran through several top words in Hindi saw they were registered in .com/.net/.ws/.tv and concluded they are worthless JMO.

Fka200
29th October 2008, 03:27 AM
Having spoken to the Indian registry, anything these people say is practically worthless to me. I'm not heavily invested in Hindi (or Indian) IDNs, but at least I've spoken to the people behind future advancements.

Tried to stand my guard and explain to people what future potential vs minimal current investment risk was, but everyone kept talking about current bullshit. Pessimistic some about the future of their country? Shit, with 1 billion people how can anyone logically claim there is no possible future ROI?

Rubber Duck
29th October 2008, 05:43 AM
Nick doesn't even seem to have accurate information on illiteracy rates in India.
Does he actually know anything about the place?

Perhaps he just got the percentage of literates to illiterates transposed?

phio
29th October 2008, 05:55 AM
Having spoken to the Indian registry, anything these people say is practically worthless to me. I'm not heavily invested in Hindi (or Indian) IDNs, but at least I've spoken to the people behind future advancements.

Tried to stand my guard and explain to people what future potential vs minimal current investment risk was, but everyone kept talking about current bullshit. Pessimistic some about the future of their country? Shit, with 1 billion people how can anyone logically claim there is no possible future ROI?

Maybe some people have overindulged in English.in and English.co.in :o

Anyways, I think the number of cell phone users in India and the US are pretty much even -- and this happened in a very short time. Things seem to move pretty quickly over there.

I don't have too many Hindi IDNs either -- under 20. What's really funny is I have English.com in Hindi...oh well..

Fka200
29th October 2008, 06:26 AM
I don't have too many Hindi IDNs either -- under 20. What's really funny is I have English.com in Hindi...oh well..

LOL. I love it!

Wot
29th October 2008, 06:45 AM
What would you prefer?

I own:

MobilePhones.co.in , Cellphones.co.in , Smartphone.co.in , Smartphones.co.in , Phonecards.co.in , Sim.co.in + a few more.

Some would prefer the Indian ( Choice of languages) equivalent ?

Maybe in the future they will be of significant value but in the case of this type of name and my age :) I am dealing with now.

IDN's of the Chinese ( in particular) ,Japanese , Russian are more my now languages.

I just see India taking a lot longer to come around to significant usage of IDN than the others mentioned.

Rubber Duck
29th October 2008, 07:36 AM
I think I would prefer dot com.

Many said that .cn would not takeover from .com.cn or that .jp would not take over from .co.jp, but history is proving otherwise. Either way dot com dominates the Indian internet.

Yes, if you consider past record of English.co.in against Hindi.com then this old caviate comes into play:

past performance is no guarantee of future results

Yes, if you want to flip a few, sure you are currently in a stronger position, but only because the opinions of the fuckheads at NP still holds sway. By constrast I am in this for the big time. I am very confident that my Hindi.IDN investments will prove a hundred times more valuable. Besides I don't have many compound terms, so direct comparisons are difficult. I might be wrong, but I went for single commonly used one word generics. :)

What would you prefer?

I own:

MobilePhones.co.in , Cellphones.co.in , Smartphone.co.in , Smartphones.co.in , Phonecards.co.in , Sim.co.in + a few more.

Some would prefer the Indian ( Choice of languages) equivalent ?

Maybe in the future they will be of significant value but in the case of this type of name and my age :) I am dealing with now.

IDN's of the Chinese ( in particular) ,Japanese , Russian are more my now languages.

I just see India taking a lot longer to come around to significant usage of IDN than the others mentioned.

clipper
29th October 2008, 08:17 AM
Interesting thread. While much is made of India's strong population and impressive number of billionaires/millionaires, little is to be said of its poor, and this is a population everyone needs to be concerned with:

Keep this in mind (http://www1.worldbank.org/devoutreach/summer00/document.asp?id=60):

Despite five decades of effort, almost half of all Indians fall below the World Bank's poverty line, defined as consumption per head of one dollar per day. India has poured billions into rural development and community development. Subsidies for a wide range of items from food to fertilizers, from education to irrigation, add up to almost 15 percent of GDP. Yet the outcomes have been unsatisfactory. Poverty continues to be unacceptably high, around 40 per cent of the population remains illiterate, and the proportion of babies born underweight is among the highest in the world. The billions spent on combating poverty have not achieved much.

So, from a business standpoint, half are living on less than a dollar a day, which immediately cuts any (customer) population figures in half. Those living on $1 a day aren't getting phones or e-machines or whatefver. They7're just trying to get rice, or something.

Probably 60% of the remaining 500 million are not living at a standard that would allow for serious consumption (on an American/Western European scale). All of the remaining 200 million use English for business and computer-related transactions.

I'm not heavily invested in any single country, particularly those with widely disparate incomes. India and Hungary have equal weightings in my portfolio.

I'm also a perma-bear when it comes to all investing. I fully believe in the collapse of my own currency and economy.

So, I have nothing particularly against Hindi or other Indian language domains.

But people around here have a habit of complaining about 1-cent clicks. If you were living on a dollar a day and had internet access once a month, you'd be horrified to think that someone might be making a penny when you click, let alone the fact that a penny is only a fraction of the advertiser's cost.

Get over yourself, and enjoy life.

Wot
29th October 2008, 08:33 AM
I think I would prefer dot com.

Many said that .cn would not takeover from .com.cn or that .jp would not take over from .co.jp, but history is proving otherwise. Either way dot com dominates the Indian internet.

Yes, if you consider past record of English.co.in against Hindi.com then this old caviate comes into play:

past performance is no guarantee of future results

Yes, if you want to flip a few, sure you are currently in a stronger position, but only because the opinions of the fuckheads at NP still holds sway. By constrast I am in this for the big time. I am very confident that my Hindi.IDN investments will prove a hundred times more valuable. Besides I don't have many compound terms, so direct comparisons are difficult. I might be wrong, but I went for single commonly used one word generics.

I have "flipped' - I thought I was selling them :) more than a few and been accused of over hyping the extension, something - god forbid, you would never do with your Indian language .com portfolio. :rolleyes:

And it is not the people at NP's that are buying from me- in fact some of them are those rare breed- end users!

Long term, as already mentioned, I do not view most of my domain investments as such. But my position is somewhat different. Retired for some few years and fortunately not needing too much income boost- all I have is paid for - I look at my name sales as the "new car" another "luxury holiday" etc.

We all have our own individual agenda's/ requirements.

Rubber Duck
29th October 2008, 11:28 AM
Just for the record, I have never moaned about PPC. This does not occupy my time. I worry about the absolute level of traffic. The value of a consumer transaction in India is probably higher than in the West so eventually the value of PPC will rise accordingly. The fact that there may be tens of millions of people excluded from such commerce whilst sad is incidental to any business plan. If there is traffic then there will be transactions and these will be valuable. I agree we cannot simply factor things up by a factor of 4 based on the earnings of the US economy simply because the population is 4 times the size.

Incidentally, it seems that yesterday's steep rise on Wall Street was probably down to hedge funds closing short positions after having their eyes taken out by Porche for about $20M dollars. As yet nobody is admitting and loses, but the global loss is easy to calculate, so we know those losers are out there, and these loses are likely to be be big enough to bring some of them down.

Admittedly Porche has agreed to release upto 5% of stock for sale depending on market conditions. Initial assessments are that Porche will be able to come out with substantial earnings growth next year, even if they don't make a single car.

You got to admit that these people who are prepared to arbitrage other people's jobs and pensions look a pretty hypocritical bunch when they start calling foul. Pretty funny for the rest of us, except when the dust settles this is only likely to deepend Wall Streets woes.

Interesting thread. While much is made of India's strong population and impressive number of billionaires/millionaires, little is to be said of its poor, and this is a population everyone needs to be concerned with:

Keep this in mind (http://www1.worldbank.org/devoutreach/summer00/document.asp?id=60):

So, from a business standpoint, half are living on less than a dollar a day, which immediately cuts any (customer) population figures in half. Those living on $1 a day aren't getting phones or e-machines or whatefver. They7're just trying to get rice, or something.

Probably 60% of the remaining 500 million are not living at a standard that would allow for serious consumption (on an American/Western European scale). All of the remaining 200 million use English for business and computer-related transactions.

I'm not heavily invested in any single country, particularly those with widely disparate incomes. India and Hungary have equal weightings in my portfolio.

I'm also a perma-bear when it comes to all investing. I fully believe in the collapse of my own currency and economy.

So, I have nothing particularly against Hindi or other Indian language domains.

But people around here have a habit of complaining about 1-cent clicks. If you were living on a dollar a day and had internet access once a month, you'd be horrified to think that someone might be making a penny when you click, let alone the fact that a penny is only a fraction of the advertiser's cost.

Get over yourself, and enjoy life.

drbiohealth
1st November 2008, 01:46 AM
Boring post. Same arguments have been repeated 'n' number of times before.

- Good fellas at the other forum are in a permanent denial (despair) mode. Yes Sirs, there is a world market for maybe five computers.

- Yes, no Indian will be able to understand my IDN URLs in SERPS as they can only understand English. I am convinced.

- Yes, it is a shame why/how Google/Microsoft and other companies are venturing into this no man's land without your prior consent ( http://www.itexaminer.com/microsoft-goes-desi-.aspx ).

- Yes, I should implicitly assume that the domains are meant not to be developed and that PPC income is 'ever-lasting'.

- Yes, I won't pay heed to when a 50 yr old English magazine says: "We believe, Femina Hindi will be a huge success at the top end of the segment and, in terms of readers, be even bigger than Femina English." http://www.indiantelevision.com/release/y2k8/oct/octrel88.php .

- Yes, I will never believe that a great term with a great extension like .com is a natural brand.

- Yes, I don't know what WIMAX means and what it can do to India/mobile phone/computer.

- Last but not the least, I will turn a blind eye towards Google trends and the technologies they are introducing at a warp speed to enable Indian language computing. Sure, I won't pay attention to how browsers are evolving (i.e. chrome), only to affect typeins in future.

Don't worry be happy, please make hay while the sun shines on your ASCII.in/co.in by selling such 'premium' domains for low $x. They are sure to make you big moolah one day.

jaiz
1st November 2008, 04:09 AM
Haaaha... you are amazing drbiohealth.

To further explain his last point. Just after google introduced google indic transliteration things have drastically changed. Most importantly people are blogging in hindi ( google trends can describe it in more detail). Otherwise why would the blog aggregators like blogvani.com and chitthajagat.com ever grow at a daily increasing rate? I just sold blogger.com for mid three figures price. That all should just have been a miracle if there is no future for hindi idns.

On top of that google just introduced its API for the indic transliteration.

Why the hell are people localizing softwares? KDE and GNOME desktops are great examples. Why the hell microsoft is trying to sell its operating system in localized version for india?

Everybody who speaks hindi or any other indic language does definitely want to write in his own/native language. The scene is changing. Providing better solution for writing in indic languages solves there problem. We are just waiting for better solutions.

Rubber Duck
1st November 2008, 06:33 AM
If American corporates are getting it then it must be blindingly obvious to everyone.

I actually used Microsoft's published glossaries to register a good deal of mine and not just in Hindi.

bwhhisc
1st November 2008, 10:28 AM
Boring post. Same arguments have been repeated 'n' number of times before.
- Good fellas at the other forum are in a permanent denial (despair) mode. Yes Sirs, there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Yes, no Indian will be able to understand my IDN URLs in SERPS as they can only understand English. I am convinced.
- Yes, it is a shame why/how Google/Microsoft and other companies are venturing into this no man's land without your prior consent ( http://www.itexaminer.com/microsoft-goes-desi-.aspx ).
- Yes, I should implicitly assume that the domains are meant not to be developed and that PPC income is 'ever-lasting'.
- Yes, I won't pay heed to when a 50 yr old English magazine says: "We believe, Femina Hindi will be a huge success at the top end of the segment and, in terms of readers, be even bigger than Femina English." http://www.indiantelevision.com/release/y2k8/oct/octrel88.php .
- Yes, I will never believe that a great term with a great extension like .com is a natural brand.
- Yes, I don't know what WIMAX means and what it can do to India/mobile phone/computer.
- Last but not the least, I will turn a blind eye towards Google trends and the technologies they are introducing at a warp speed to enable Indian language computing. Sure, I won't pay attention to how browsers are evolving (i.e. chrome), only to affect typeins in future.
Don't worry be happy, please make hay while the sun shines on your ASCII.in/co.in by selling such 'premium' domains for low $x. They are sure to make you big moolah one day.

LOL. You should post these excellent points in the IDN thread at Namepros.
On second hand they may put you up on charges of (Indian) domain blasphemy :p

Fka200
1st November 2008, 10:54 AM
LOL. You should post these excellent points in the IDN thread at Namepros.

Not even worth the time/effort.

bwhhisc
1st November 2008, 10:57 AM
Not even worth the time/effort.

Oh, just might make one or two of them think for themselves instead of playing "follow the leader".
My guess is more than one of them are stashing a few Hindi IDNs. :)
I suggested to those knowing the language to flip a few here for low to mid xx.
Met with "why waste your time when we can flip Indian .in and .com for low to mid xxx" LOL

dnnames
1st November 2008, 11:08 AM
I actually just talked to an native in Mumbai who just recently bought 3 of my .co.ins. He had no knowledge that these domains existed, but when I showed him he didn't have much interest, and wants to concentrate on .co.in/.in etc. I don't quite understand why they do not even register maybe 5-10 domains and sit on them. It doesn't exactly break the banks and they will be more diversified. The buyer isn't exactly a small investor either.

I guess that is why I'm here in this forum, and they are at the ASCII forums.