PDA

View Full Version : Some technical help required - DNS & CName

alexd
15th December 2008, 07:47 AM
I know that we have some pretty smart and technical people here in the forum, so I was wondering if someone here can help me with something ( not 100% IDN related - but applicable to IDNs as well )

I have a domain name registered at Godaddy, that points to my server where I host the site.

I have signed up to an affiliate program, and will use a subdomain of my main domain to operate this affiliate program. The affiliate has said that I should create a Cname record for the subdomain, so that it will "point" to their site.

Here is where I am a little stuck.

Using a domain name I have ( and which is currently not being used ) - I was able to set up the Cname record for the subdomain, and I get this to work properly. In order for me to be able to make this CName record, I had to have the domain set to use Godaddy Servers. If the nameservers are set to anything else, then I am not able to create this CName record. - This is fair enough and makes sense to me.

My problem is creating the CName for the subdomain of the site that I am actually running and working. As the nameservers for this domain are set to my server - how can I access the CName part to create this record. If I switch the nameservers to Godaddy's, create the cname for the subdomain, and then set the nameservers back to my server again, will this work ??

In Summary...
I need mydomain.com to point to my nameservers, while at the same time, I need subdomain.mydomain.com to have a CName that points to the affialites website. Is this possible ?? If so, how do I actually achieve this ??

I hope this made some sense.

Thanks for reading.

Alex