PDA

View Full Version : So what did I tell you?

Rubber Duck
18th December 2008, 06:47 PM
http://domainnamewire.com/2008/12/17/microsoft-time-warner-others-weigh-in-on-new-tlds/

Thinking on, this could work in our favour.

It is more likely to hold up ASCII applications, which would incline ICANN to push through IDN applications.

But more importantly anything that is proposed purely for DNAME type aliasing has zero impact as there would be no new registrations being made available.

Perhaps for once, we would get shoved to the top of the agenda! :)

blackops
18th December 2008, 06:55 PM
Wow..

I doubt this will actually stop ICANN's money-making scheme, but if this story is true then it's hopefully an indicator that other large co's will also want to pass on it...

If it does come to fruition though, some will inevitably want to jump in. But an absence of B.I.G. co. will turn this in to the proverbial dead duck in the water (no pun intended RD).

:-)

domainguru
18th December 2008, 06:57 PM
Well, the demand has always been there for IDN expansion, that's obvious.

As for .web and .microsoft and .ford and .apple and .store, its all bs to me. What demand? Normal users don't want them. The companies themselves don't want them, who wants them? Who has ever wanted more non-IDN gTLDs?

Rubber Duck
18th December 2008, 06:57 PM
Wow..

I doubt this will actually stop ICANN's money-making scheme, but if this story is true then it's hopefully an indicator that other large co's will also want to pass on it...

If it does come to fruition though, some will inevitably want to jump in. But an absence of B.I.G. co. will turn this in to the proverbial dead duck in the water (no pun intended RD).

:-)

Frankly it has always been a dead duck!

Much of this was just a sop to the Americans to try to prevent them throwing sticks in the IDN wheels.

Rubber Duck
18th December 2008, 07:00 PM
Well, the demand has always been there for IDN expansion, that's obvious.

As for .web and .microsoft and .ford and .apple and .store, its all bs to me. What demand? Normal users don't want them. The companies themselves don't want them, who wants them? Who has ever wanted more non-IDN gTLDs?

Well from what I can gather just about everyone at Namepros wants one. :p

domainguru
18th December 2008, 07:09 PM
Well from what I can gather just about everyone at Namepros wants one. :p

Yeah, they are for everyone that "missed out" on .mobi :p

Rubber Duck
18th December 2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah, they are for everyone that "missed out" on .mobi :p

Yes, I remember it well.

I got severely reprimanded and booted out of here for taking issue with Rick at DNForum over all the pumping that was going on at Traffics.

Funny how people take about 2-3 years on average to register what you are trying to tell them. :rolleyes:

blackops
18th December 2008, 08:00 PM
Well, if ICANN's most 'creative' moment yet.. i.e. trying to sell dot.everything is going up the creek then .com will remain unchallenged forevermore.. (with the possible exception of that pesky little upstart, idn.idn/cctld).

I wonder if ICANN have got their thinking caps on for the next big sell-off idea? Hmm, what could it be?.. Well, text, numbers and symbols are all done now as domain names.. but how about those other items of internet 'furniture'.. sound and/or video.

Hmm, now a sound or video domain I could go for!.. Think i'll suggest it to them, they will probably want to do it as their back-up plan :lol:

phio
18th December 2008, 08:10 PM
Positive notes for both IDN.gtld and IDN.IDN.

I read thru all the comments last night on the ICANN board. (what a legal nightmare)

Glad that the Wire summarized it very well.

Drewbert
18th December 2008, 10:02 PM
The people pushing hard for new ASCII gTLD's have been the Registrars and that's about it. Along with maybe a few new registrar wannabes pushing for geographic TLD's like .nyc etc.

A lot of jealousy out there that non-English ccTLD's are getting a second TLD "for free".

Wot
18th December 2008, 11:06 PM
The people pushing hard for new ASCII gTLD's have been the Registrars and that's about it. Along with maybe a few new registrar wannabes pushing for geographic TLD's like .nyc etc.

A lot of jealousy out there that non-English ccTLD's are getting a second TLD "for free".

Could it be a need to serve the domain buying public better - or - perhaps a money thing. :rolleyes:

clipper
19th December 2008, 02:51 AM
Time Warner: ICANN needs to examine seriously for whose benefit the proposed new gTLD round is being launched. If it is truly for the benefit of the “next billion” Internet users around the globe, then the launch should focus on IDN TLDs to serve populations that have historically been excluded from full participation in the Internet in their native tongues. If after the launch of new IDN TLDs ICANN can demonstrate that there remains a strong need for additional gTLDs, only then should it consider the launch of such extensions.

Wow, thanks for posting.

Rubber Duck
19th December 2008, 04:31 AM

It is more like Copernicus versus the Vatican. :D

Still they quickly changed their approach when they discovered Gold in the New World.