PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay to someone to make u a website?

idnceo
10th April 2006, 07:24 PM
i have been trying to play a little with doing websites, but i give up. way too complicated, so i contacted some people that do webdesign, logos, etc. but i wonder if the price is okay. They charge $500 for a nice but simple one or $1000 for one website with many pages, a forum, logo and 2 banners. What do u think? $1000 is okay? cheap or expensive? i just wanna have a nice looking idn website and to use/change the template file to do many more for my japanese and chinese idns :)

Note: please dont make me offers, i got already enough from a webdesing forum.

Rubber Duck
10th April 2006, 07:41 PM
i have been trying to play a little with doing websites, but i give up. way too complicated, so i contacted some people that do webdesign, logos, etc. but i wonder if the price is okay. They charge $500 for a nice but simple one or $1000 for one website with many pages, a forum, logo and 2 banners. What do u think? $1000 is okay? cheap or expensive? i just wanna have a nice looking idn website and to use/change the template file to do many more for my japanese and chinese idns :)

Actually, the best websites need ongoing development and maintenance rather than just banging up like a Billboard poster. I think if you have top domains, you need a local partner who is cut in for a share of he revenue. If you do that then they have every incentive in the World to maximise your investment!

idnceo
10th April 2006, 07:49 PM
Actually, the best websites need ongoing development and maintenance rather than just banging up like a Billboard poster. I think if you have top domains, you need a local partner who is cut in for a share of he revenue. If you do that then they have every incentive in the World to maximise your investment!

yeah thanks for the advice. i know what u mean with billboard poster! :p anyway im trying my best to learn how to develop, but i do think i better get the webdesign done by someone instead of learning from basics flash, php, dreamweaver, etc. We ll see...but you are the one who got top domains, i wish i would be developing local.jp or japanese prefectures instead of me trying to develop my bad domains.

touchring
10th April 2006, 07:49 PM

I know what you mean, you want to create a portal parking page - there's an article on "nice" parking page on DNjournal, i just had a quick look, not sure if it works for Japanese keywords.

gammascalper
10th April 2006, 08:11 PM
For cheap web dev, I would browse some of the listings at e-lance. But from my experience with offshore development, you get what you pay for.

It may sound cliche, but one of the best investments you can make in this day and age is learning how to program -- these days it's probably good to focus on programming for the web, so PHP and Perl together with db scripting are the most likely candidates, all with a ton of online help forums, tutorials and documentation.

Once you have the logic down for loops and conditionals, you can program in any high-level language once you pick up the syntax and figure out the i/o. It's that simple.

When you have a few database driven sites up and running, it's trivial to adapt them to get 50 or even 1000 up and running, for the cost of your time. If you're young it makes it very worthwhile, not to mention, the synapses fire faster!

huronargentino
10th April 2006, 08:18 PM
It depends the kind of developement you need
I have a team of some developer here and we have cheap prices, but as Robert said, its important to know if you will need maintenance support, of if its only a script to code and so on.

rhys
11th April 2006, 08:03 AM

For basic nice looking templates I really love OWD and have used a number of templates from there for free: http://www.openwebdesign.org/

I believe Blast from the past introduced me to it on a thread a while back. One thing is for sure, you cannot complain about something this high quality which is free.

For the fancy stuff, the quote sounds pretty expensive to me. Like Gamma says, I would try e-lance but don't go with the lowest bid.

touchring
11th April 2006, 08:23 AM
For cheap web dev, I would browse some of the listings at e-lance. But from my experience with offshore development, you get what you pay for.

It may sound cliche, but one of the best investments you can make in this day and age is learning how to program -- these days it's probably good to focus on programming for the web, so PHP and Perl together with db scripting are the most likely candidates, all with a ton of online help forums, tutorials and documentation.

Once you have the logic down for loops and conditionals, you can program in any high-level language once you pick up the syntax and figure out the i/o. It's that simple.

When you have a few database driven sites up and running, it's trivial to adapt them to get 50 or even 1000 up and running, for the cost of your time. If you're young it makes it very worthwhile, not to mention, the synapses fire faster!

Not exactly always "you get what you pay for."

The web freelancers from Romania and Bulgaria are very good and cost less than India or China.

The best way to do it is to learn how to modify html yourself, and at the same time, outsource the initial works.

idnceo
11th April 2006, 09:51 AM
Not exactly always "you get what you pay for."

The web freelancers from Romania and Bulgaria are very good and cost less than India or China.

The best way to do it is to learn how to modify html yourself, and at the same time, outsource the initial works.

thanks! yeah i wanna have the best webdesign i can, im really picky about quality. Anyway i already sent a PM to blast to ask for his advice on some guy he offers to do it for me.

i think that is true, on India and China u can find great webdesigners at a fraction of the cost in US and still awesome designers. I dont know about Romania and Bulgaria, but im sure they also have great prices and fantastic webdesigners.

As a sidenote, not related to start a website about idns, parking templates or anything like that, but this website is awesome :rolleyes: The best multimedia website i have seen.
http://www.magwerk.com

blastfromthepast
11th April 2006, 05:47 PM
Database driven. This is key.

You want something that you can just put content into, and have 1 or 2 templates for the face, and then it all snaps together.

Casestudy:

I created http://даль.com/ in one day, with a few minor fixes the next day. That's it.

I took a very short free perl dictionary program, modified it. Then put in my own database.

Now, I have a multi-thousand page site driven by 3 files: the css file, the perl script, the database file.

I can now modify the css, and the html inside the perl script, to get any kind of super fancy design that is needed, and instantly it would show up on all the thousands of pages up-to-date.

All it is is a script that queries data from a database and present it in a couple different ways depending on the search term, which it gets right from the URL.

The simpler the engine behind the site, the better. The more complex, the more fixing you have to do later on, the more hours you waste trying to get it to look right and work.

For most websites, all you are doing is presenting varying combinations of text and picture content inside some pretty frame.

I'm almost ready to go live with a dating website based on another free script.

http://www.magwerk.com/ is flash driven. It is a great design. The problem is, a site like that will get little search engine traffic.

The goal for me is to make high traffic sites that both look good and are search engine friendly.

idnceo
12th April 2006, 04:29 AM
yeah magwerk.com is fantastic, did u check all their playmusicmagazine? their commercial ads, interface, music clips, etc. would help to make a .tv a winner as a truly multimedia website. The good thing is that in japan a lot of people have 100mbps so very easy to load, the bad thing is that what we want is money, not to win the contest to best webdesign for an IDN domain ; )

but i do see more and more websites going in that direction as more people get higher speeds. I have been following the play music magazine for some time, and they keep improving. Au, NTT, Fuji TV, etc in japan are developing some websites very similar for their flag items, but it obviously takes a lot of money, budget, staff, etc to keep coming with an online magazine like that every month.

another great idea and webdesign is http://www.dontclick.it check it out, im sure u will click, but the idea is dont click! :)

idnceo
12th April 2006, 04:30 AM
yeah magwerk.com is fantastic, did u check all their playmusicmagazine? their commercial ads, interface, music clips, etc. would help to make a .tv a winner as a truly multimedia website. The good thing is that in japan a lot of people have 100mbps so very easy to load, the bad thing is that what we want is money, not to win the contest to best webdesign for an IDN domain ; )

but i do see more and more websites going in that direction as more people get higher speeds. I have been following the play music magazine for some time, and they keep improving. Au, NTT, Fuji TV, etc in japan are developing some websites very similar for their flag items, but it obviously takes a lot of money, budget, staff, etc to keep coming with an online magazine like that every month.

another great idea and webdesign is http://www.dontclick.it check it out, im sure u will click, but the idea is dont click! :)

Olney
12th April 2006, 11:12 AM
I personally prefer programmers from Both India & Russia.
If you find the right programmers you have a good team to work with...

blastfromthepast
12th April 2006, 01:23 PM
That reminds me of the "Macintosh Tour" that Apple distributed with Macintosh Plus computers back in 1985-1987.

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/tutorials/macplus1988/introduction (Screenshots.)

Mice were a new thing back then, and few computer users had used a mouse before, so the interface was first run by pointing.

The tour was made, by the way, in VideoWorks, a program that later became Macromedia Director, and then became Sockwave and then Flash.

prowebdesigner
11th August 2006, 10:50 PM
well im good at webdisgning and i only charge $350 so gimme a shout email: [mod] - Removed pending examples of work.

alpha
11th August 2006, 10:55 PM
well im good at webdisgning and i only charge $350 so gimme a shout email:cyborgsells@hotmail.com

If you reply to this, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not treat this as spam.

Have you any examples of your work?

Beamerboy
12th August 2006, 04:33 AM
well im good at webdisgning and i only charge $350 so gimme a shout email:cyborgsells@hotmail.com

I too would like to see an example, owing to the fact you seem unable to spell correctly. "webdisgning " :rolleyes:

If your looking for business you should at least spell check your own advert. ;)

Ben
12th August 2006, 09:58 AM
I'm a web-designer and programmer; if you want examples, PM me.

bwhhisc
12th August 2006, 01:16 PM
You can also check out www.getafreelancer.com, or sitepoint.com.
In negotiation, you can agree to pay after you have received your site and are satisfied.
There is also a rating system within their system where you can see number of jobs completed and customer satisfaction ratings.

webidn
12th May 2007, 02:40 AM
idn websites loos sweet
:)

domainguru
12th May 2007, 02:44 AM

$1000 is way expensive. You should be looking at half that, max.

bwhhisc
12th May 2007, 02:51 AM
$1000 is way expensive. You should be looking at half that, max.

Simple one page template sites can range from $15 to $50, there are members here who offer that service.
We pay about $100 a page (buying multiple pages) for customized business website work.