PDA

View Full Version : 25 IDN .com Japanese Cities for sale! (OVT >15k/domain). Priced to sell.

touchring
12th December 2005, 03:23 AM
Open to offers as a package. 

EDITED

Latin Name | Population | IDN | Punycode | JP Overture

1). Fujisawa 351,000 藤沢市.com xn--7st983ah6s.com 20681
2). Asahikawa 359,000 旭川市.com xn--5rt2c520a.com 20252
3). Kagoshima 537,000 鹿児島市.com xn--d5qv7z8wax00q.com 20241
4). Utsunomiya 427,000 宇都宮市.com xn--29s8cy8fr30g.com 19821
5). Nara 350,000 奈良市.com xn--ntsw3ijt3b.com 19466
6). Toyama 321,000 富山市.com xn--1ctwoz2b.com 19219
7). Takamatsu 330,000 高松市.com xn--7stz4s186b.com 18905
8 ). Hachinohe 241,000 八戸市.com xn--45qu02anid.com 18805
9). Mito 234,000 水戸市.com xn--7stq7gc3k.com 18734
10). Fuchu 209,000 府中市.com xn--fiqv99afna.com 18500
11). Oita 409,000 大分市.com xn--kbrq7ou8d.com 18307
12). Toyonaka 410,000 豊中市.com xn--fiqv99ar38a.com 17544
13). Aomori 288,000 青森市.com xn--7stz6v6s1b.com 17529
14). Higashi-Osaka 518,000 東大阪市.com xn--pssw6i70j9w2c.com 17504
15). Kurume 228,000 久留米市.com xn--3iqp79aetr1pg.com 17351
16). Hakodate 307,000 函館市.com xn--bbrw60a421c.com 17341
17). Akashi 271,000 明石市.com xn--7stz2pxrp.com 17173
18). Koriyama 315,000 郡山市.com xn--rht69ah13h.com 17149
19). Fuji 222,000 富士市.com xn--zqsv0et6b.com 16807
20). Hiratsuka 246,000 平塚市.com xn--umso5kwj.com 16638
21). Shimonoseki 263,000 下関市.com xn--ghq020bt55b.com 16253
22). Kushiro 205,000 釧路市.com xn--7stt08hcrc.com 15604
23). Takarazuka 201,000 宝塚市.com xn--umst9eu9b.com 15604
24). Fukushima 277,000 福島市.com xn--klt4xf57d.com 15488
25). Miyazaki 287,000 宮崎市.com xn--6btw5a6u.com 15122

Here are US and GB equivalents for comparison purpose.  :-)

Name | Population | US Overture

Oklahoma City | 523,303 | 47578
Long Beach | 475,460 | 24486
Cleveland | 461,324 | 42204
Omaha | 404,267 | 32151
Newark | 277,911 | 23649
Jersey City | 239,097 | 8887
Baton Rouge | 225,090 | 23916

Here's some figures for Great Britain cities:

Name | Population | US Overture

Leeds | 443,247 | 29666
Sheffield | 439,866 | 21231
Manchester | 394,269 | 44126
Belfast | 277,391 | 16660
Plymouth | 243,795 | 16362
Woking | 101,127 | 660 (This is a small city, i'm putting it here for comparison since Woking.com had a transacted price of £8925).

gammascalper
12th December 2005, 06:54 AM
Do you have any cities without the 'city' (市)?

touchring
12th December 2005, 07:12 AM
No, but i think Dave has them, you can check with him.

Ultimately, it makes no differences as i believe that the Japanese are used to calling it with 市 for referring to the city itself.

For example, 藤沢市 has an JP OV of 20681, but 藤沢 only has an JP OVT of 13427.  In other cases, the OVT without 市 is higher, but generally not far from each other.

OTOH, the Chinese generally do not call their cities with the 市 in it while searching the Internet, so the OVT for chinese city domains with 市 in them is less than 5% of that without.

The domains are sold on the basis of future traffic potential, and no premium is added for potential end user sale, e.g. if one of the cities offers to buy it's domain name, that's a bonus for the buyer, which would more than cover the entire investment.

I've got another 28 Japanese cities/prefecture domains for long term investment, which i intend to point to their official sites for the next 1-2 years directly, and then after that, add an intermediary page with a direct link plus Google/Yahoo ads.

gammascalper
12th December 2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the explanation re: the 'city' suffix. You're right. Let me know if you'd be willing to sell a few names individually.

touchring
12th December 2005, 07:46 AM
Fixed pricing for individual sale:

EDITED

For bulk sale, i'm open to offers :-)

If you are interested, pls post SOLD as soon as you have decided, as i'm talking to a few parties in several forums.  Sale is subject to availability (that is i've not sold the domain).  Thank you for your interest.

Olney
12th December 2005, 07:49 AM
Great post I'll add to confirm that Japanese do search for City names with the city character. Most city names we say are shortened for our benefit.

Rubber Duck
12th December 2005, 08:59 AM
Concur, with the above. These domains are valuable are very competitively priced.

Anyone, who is not already in but wants Japanese Cities should snap these up, as I will not be selling this cheaply!

On Chinese Cities, I have noted that because the Traditional version do not necessarily match characters exactly, the Traditional version are not blocked by the registration of the Simplified Form. Interestingly, however, Google seems to give approximately equal ranking to the Traditional forms, which means that whilst the potential for type-in would seem small, they could be very powerful in terms of Search and SEO.

The other thing that I have picked up on, is that even in the PRC, there seems to a strong movement to adopt Traditional Forms to give gravitas or kudos, which means that Traditional Forms could become very powerful for Branding purposes.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
12th December 2005, 09:14 AM
Concur, with the above. These domains are valuable are very competitively priced.

Anyone, who is not already in but wants Japanese Cities should snap these up, as I will not be selling this cheaply!

On Chinese Cities, I have noted that because the Traditional version do not necessarily match characters exactly, the Traditional version are not blocked by the registration of the Simplified Form. Interestingly, however, Google seems to give approximately equal ranking to the Traditional forms, which means that whilst the potential for type-in would seem small, they could be very powerful in terms of Search and SEO.

The other thing that I have picked up on, is that even in the PRC, there seems to a strong movement to adopt Traditional Forms to give gravitas or kudos, which means that Traditional Forms could become very powerful for Branding purposes.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

What Dave say is correct - but there's one more thing that i need to point out - there are almost none left available and worth registering - i have practically scanned through a hundred biggest cities in Japan.

This will be the last bulk sale of the century for Japanese cities at reseller pricing.   :D

After that, i won't be putting up any of my long-term collection of 28 cities/prefectures on the market - at least until IDN become mainstream and all 90% of the browsers used support them.  Whether it is 1 year or 5 years later, i can wait, and when that happens, expect open market prices of $x,xxx per city.

I'm not exaggerating, just look at Germany, only 25% of users are using firefox (versus 2% for Japan) and an end user has to pay $xx,xxx for a German .info.  Why is that so?  Because there's only 1 domain .com for the city/region name and if someone is sitting on it, it will only drive the price upwards as a variant like e-city.com or i-city.com is not acceptable.

Rubber Duck
12th December 2005, 09:24 AM
The latest from the semi-Official Microsoft Blog is that IE 7.0 will be available to everyone as pre-release version in the first quarter of 2006. The Beta 2 release has been scrapped!

I think the Pre-release status is primarily distinguish between voluntarily installing the browser as opposed to having it installed as part of the automatic update procedure on XP, which I guess will probably also happen by the end of the first quarter of next year.

If nothing else Microsoft will be wanting create some BUZZ prior to the release of Vista. The future of the company depends on the successful launch of Vista.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
12th December 2005, 02:43 PM
The latest from the semi-Official Microsoft Blog is that IE 7.0 will be available to everyone as pre-release version in the first quarter of 2006. The Beta 2 release has been scrapped!

I think the Pre-release status is primarily distinguish between voluntarily installing the browser as opposed to having it installed as part of the automatic update procedure on XP, which I guess will probably also happen by the end of the first quarter of next year.

If nothing else Microsoft will be wanting create some BUZZ prior to the release of Vista. The future of the company depends on the successful launch of Vista.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Steve is under a lot of pressure - http://www.circleid.com/posts/jet_open_letter_to_microsoft/.  When i saw this letter, i know that the fate is already sealed.

This will, in turn, benefit Microsoft, by increasing Internet users and more intense use of the Internet, opening up more sales opportunity of personal use of PC, e-commerce platforms, related software products and so on.

So what's the alternative situation?

It's no longer a question of whether Microsoft wants to implement it, but whether IE wants it's browser share diminished by national policies.

This is not a letter of request, but a letter of demand, although worded courteously and indirect.   :)

Rubber Duck
12th December 2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks Touchring,

Actually, not new (at least not to me) and not really the only supplication of this kind from the Far East. Others are marching to our tune with a shotgun in the back.

The basic problem is that Asia cannot make the internet work with a domain space that its people cannot understand. Furthermore, because Asia represents more than 50% of humanity it cannot get by with left-over of the existing registeries, which comprises of names that US views to be of no commercial value.

Without IDN Asia will always be at a commercial disadvantage online. The major countries of Asia know this and they are not going to tolerate anything less. If ICANN and the rest of the US companies that run the net don't want to play fair, then China for one will just take the ball home. It has threatened to do so more than once, and frankly everyone needed a change of pants.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
12th December 2005, 03:48 PM
Well, this letter is what made me decide to invest in IDN.   :)

Another reason is that the ABC .com market has become a bubble - when people start trading 2 or 3 characters for tens or even hundreds of thousands (KT.com owner is asking for 250K??), and the fact that domains can be sold at a higher price at DNF than real end user are willing to buy, and when people are willing to pay $1000+ for a notebook.tw (people in taiwan are used to using .com.tw) - to me, these are the signs of a bubble.

Sometimes i wonder why some expired domains at snapnames/pool can fetch ridicuously higher prices than on the open market - one reason might be that large stake holders are using these platform to push up the market. On the sideline, they will quietly offload their holdings to private investors.

As for when the bubble will collapse, i guess no one can predict.  Prices can go up by another 5 times before collapsing.  Who knows?

Being a cautious person, i'm trading generic dot com for IDN and .US (i'm into that as well).

Rubber Duck
12th December 2005, 03:54 PM
Well, this letter is what made me decide to invest in IDN. :)

Another reason is that the ABC .com market has become a bubble - when people start trading 2 or 3 characters for tens or even hundreds of thousands (KT.com owner is asking for 250K??), and the fact that domains can be sold at a higher price at DNF than real end user are willing to buy, and when people are willing to pay $1000+ for a notebook.tw (people in taiwan are used to using .com.tw) - to me, these are the signs of a bubble.

When the bubble will collapse, i guess no one can predict. Prices can go up by another 5 times before collapsing. Who knows?

Being a cautious person, i'm trading generic dot com for IDN and .US (i'm into that as well).

Well, there are underlying earnings to dot coms and some are starting to treat them like investment bonds. The problem is that much of the value is based on traffic earnings. If a Universal Keyword service were introduced it is likely that many people would stop typing the dot com into the address bar and dot com type-in would go into serious decline. Earnings dry up stock value plummets. Classic market correction!

Actually, contributions from James Seng have also greatly encourage me over the years. Seems like a great guy! Actually, I think James is from Singapore, its wonder you haven't met!

http://james.seng.cc/

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
12th December 2005, 04:03 PM
How about the fact that domains can be sold at a higher price at DNF than real end user are willing to buy?

For example, bogota.com was sold for 159K, and i doubt that the Bogota government will even want to or have the capacity to buy it's own domain at that price, and with an overture of 10,000+, it's traffic potential is similar or less than any of the IDNs we hold.

Rubber Duck
12th December 2005, 05:25 PM
How about the fact that domains can be sold at a higher price at DNF than real end user are willing to buy?

For example, bogota.com was sold for 159K, and i doubt that the Bogota government will even want to or have the capacity to buy it's own domain at that price, and with an overture of 10,000+, it's traffic potential is similar or less than any of the IDNs we hold.

City names are valuable because there is a lot of money to be made from setting up a local directory and charging local firms for the traffic it brings them. May be 10,000 on Overture doesn't seem much. but you develop Bogota.com into an information resource that sells product and the traffic levels could soar to dramatic levels. Don't forget web usage in South America is not at US levels at the moment but it will rise.

The value of a City domain relates to the size of its population and the value of its economy. I have Tokyo as a dot net IDN. I don't t think the fact that it is not a dot com is too critical develop it properly and people will now where to go. Just as stated it GDP is about the size of Italy. Chinese cities are particularly interesting because there are a lot of really big ones.

Chinese International trade hit $1.2 for the first 11 months of this year. No serious players can afford to ignore China!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
12th December 2005, 09:06 PM
Sorry, sale suspended pending changes!

touchring
15th December 2005, 07:58 AM
19). Fuji 222,000 富士市.com xn--zqsv0et6b.com 16807 (SOLD!) 

-> Sold and transferred to Taboo on DNF.

3). Kagoshima 537,000 鹿児島市.com xn--d5qv7z8wax00q.com 20241 (REMOVED FROM MARKET)
5). Nara 350,000 奈良市.com xn--ntsw3ijt3b.com 19466 (REMOVED FROM MARKET)
6). Toyama 321,000 富山市.com xn--1ctwoz2b.com 19219 (REMOVED FROM MARKET)
11). Oita 409,000 大分市.com xn--kbrq7ou8d.com 18307 (REMOVED FROM MARKET)
13). Aomori 288,000 青森市.com xn--7stz6v6s1b.com 17529 (REMOVED FROM MARKET)
25). Miyazaki 287,000 宮崎市.com xn--6btw5a6u.com 15122 (REMOVED FROM MARKET) 

-> Removed from market - entering my long term investment portfolio.   ;D

touchring
23rd December 2005, 07:27 PM
SALE ENDED! :D

gammascalper
25th December 2005, 06:06 PM
Well, this letter is what made me decide to invest in IDN. :)

Sometimes i wonder why some expired domains at snapnames/pool can fetch ridicuously higher prices than on the open market - one reason might be that large stake holders are using these platform to push up the market. On the sideline, they will quietly offload their holdings to private investors.

As for when the bubble will collapse, i guess no one can predict. Prices can go up by another 5 times before collapsing. Who knows?

I've wondered the same about the 5+ figure prices for domains without traffic and having no obvious keyword value. Like every nascent market, the domain market is probably due for a correction on its way (eventually) higher.

I would be hesitant to buy 3+ keyword domains for premium prices, that's for sure. I guess it really is like real estate -- the buyers on the margin in the less desirable areas get hurt the most during corrections.

touchring
25th December 2005, 06:14 PM
Yes, but the market is always illogical - Prices can go up by another 5 times before collapsing.  

I think that web traffic is not the reason behind the high abc.com values, although it is used to compare which dot com should have a higher value. 

Abc.com(s) have become like commodities and precious metals - people buy and sell them, some people even use them as a store of wealth (both legitimate and otherwise), and prices go up when the demand is high or when the US economy is good, and down (like just after the .com bust).  People that buy and sell commodities like grain and cotton need not necessarily consume them, the same with domains.

Being able to quickly exchange for money quickly is what determines whether a kind of domain is a commodity.  Many small country cTLDs cannot be classified as commodity because people dun trade them.

gammascalper
25th December 2005, 06:19 PM
Yes, but the market is always illogical - Prices can go up by another 5 times before collapsing.

I think that web traffic is not the reason behind the high abc.com values, although it is used to compare which dot com should have a higher value.

Abc.com(s) have become like commodities and precious metals - people buy and sell them, some people even use them as a store of wealth (both legitimate and otherwise), and prices go up when the demand is high, and down (like just after the .com bust). People that buy and sell commodities like grain and cotton need not necessarily consume them, the same with domains.

Being able to quickly exchange for money quickly is what determines whether a kind of domain is a commodity. Many small country cTLDs are not commodity because people dun trade them.

Agreed. Very astute observations.

markits
3rd October 2008, 05:51 AM
Are these still priced to sell?

touchring
3rd October 2008, 06:18 AM
Are these still priced to sell?

You're 3 years late, this batch is mostly sold out.

For some of you who may not know, this was the first sale on IDNF that went through - http://www.idnforums.com/forums/idn-domain-for-sale/index221.html

Tons of names can be registered at that time (it was like free pick, especially for .cn and .jp ;)), and yet .com geos still sell.

bwhhisc
3rd October 2008, 12:15 PM
Here was the original post for this which was at DNF. :)

http://www.dnforum.com/f5/25-idn-xn-7st983ah6s-com-japanese-cities-sale-ovt-15k-domain-thread-124572.html