PDA

View Full Version : .cn deletion policy & dynadot practice

MDM
3rd January 2009, 11:49 AM
Anyone knows the exact .cn (chinese idn) deletion policy?

We have a .cn with dynadot, expired and DELETED on the same date by dynadot which tells us it's not their policy of immediate deletion. A cdn whois search still shows the name 'pending delete' today (3 Jan 09) but dynadot tells that the name expired on 22 Dec 08 and was immediately deleted.

bwhhisc
3rd January 2009, 12:36 PM
I am pretty sure they delete them the same day they expire, or if they are not deleted they are gone out of your account as soon as they expire. On the other hand, .com and .net seem to hang for 25 days or so past expiry before they are pulled.

Asiaplay
3rd January 2009, 05:54 PM
Wot has raised this issue on another IDN forum in late November 2008 - quoting his post there...

"Be careful- if you have .cn at Dynadot renew them before expiry date, all other extensions seem to have a grace period at Dynadot before deleting not so with .cn."

Another member noted that they had been subject to the same problem... so it appears for .cn there is no grace deletion period (the day they expire, the present owner will loose the domain, if not renewed before expiry).

Good for us to all remember this I guess - cheers, Asiaplay

mulligan
3rd January 2009, 06:21 PM
If the domain is worth keeping why let it go even vaguely towards expiry (Nevermind deletion)?

Or .. do you expect the company the domain is registered with to send you renewal notices?

Wot
3rd January 2009, 11:42 PM
Yes, same thing happened to me- lesson learned.

Made the wrong assumption that .cn would be treated the same as .com etc at Dynadot.

One thing that really pissed me off, I sent 3 emails to Dynadot at the time asking about their policy and was there anything I could do- zero response. :mad:

Asiaplay
4th January 2009, 03:44 AM
Yeah, the problem at dynadot is that they admitted to me that they do not have even one Chinese literate staff member (came out when I asked their advice on a transfer form from a China based registrar to them) - so I guess they get stuck when anything falls outside of the normal procedure.

What perhaps dynadot should be doing, is telling people "your .cn IDN will be automatically deleted on the day it expires if not renewed before it expires on XXX date - there is no grace deletion period for .cn, so please renew before the expiry date if you wish to retain your IDN" and highlighting this in bold, when they send out the renewal reminders.

Jose, I understand you have some contact with dynadot staff (apologies if I misunderstood and you don't) - perhaps you could suggest this to them...

To be honest, apart from this, I do like having my domains at dynadot and so far have found them honest with pricing etc. etc. (but I also hope if any disputes arise over .cn or any other extension that they are a registrar for, that they do and can take an active role in supporting those who support them).

Personally... so far I have renewed prior to the domain expiry date - so I have not come across any problems.

Cheers - Asiaplay

MDM
4th January 2009, 04:09 AM
Strange thing is the name expired by 22 Dec 08 and 'deleted' by dynadot from our account, yet the cnnic whois search done yesterday (3 Jan 09) still showed the name is 'pending delete' and was still with dynadot. We doubt if dynadot is taking advantage to keep or sell the .cn name for their interest. This is very unethical.

IDNer
4th January 2009, 05:04 AM
Strange thing is the name expired by 22 Dec 08 and 'deleted' by dynadot from our account, yet the cnnic whois search done yesterday (3 Jan 09) still showed the name is 'pending delete' and was still with dynadot. We doubt if dynadot is taking advantage to keep or sell the .cn name for their interest. This is very unethical.

[the name is 'pending delete' and was still with dynadot] -
Write mail to Dynadot to ask of what cost you can get this name back?

I'm wonder is it the same situation (domains automatically deleted on the day it expires) on other registrar or not for the .cn IDN domains?

domainguru
4th January 2009, 10:53 AM

Once the name has expired, they can basically do what they want with it, regardless of registry status. Their T&C will ensure that. As the global financial crisis deepens, expect more of this sort of behaviour from registrars. Renew your names before they expire, don't rely on "grace periods".