PDA

View Full Version : Will Russian .net extension ever be valuable?

bwhhisc
3rd January 2009, 06:29 PM
Wanted to get other opinions on Russian .nets, there is no doubt now that many Russian idn.net surprisingly gets a fair amount of traffic. Sergey and I had a recent conversation on the subject and we thought it was a good topic for the forum....I have edited a bit but welcome comments on the topic.

BILL:
What is your feeling about .net in Russian...will .net ever mean anything but нет(no)?
Will .nets be any good as extension for making Russian language websites. I am wondering if it is worth keeping
the B list and below stuff. Also, any chance .net will ever be thought of as "transliteral" of English "network"
or even "internet" instead of "no"?

GLOWNAMES:
I have the same dilemma with russian .nets
So if we will get DNAME for:
com as ком (коммереческий commercial, компания company)
net as нет (no transliteration here, cause 'сеть' is network in russian and нет means 'no')
org as орг (организация organization) idn.org is still not acceptable in russian

There is no meaning for .нет I can't predict how this tld in russian will be feeling
Another side .nets is good for creating sites as .coms, it's good indexed in SE.
So there is no difference between com and net (for perhaps getting nicely indexed websites).

mulligan
3rd January 2009, 06:37 PM
Russian idn.net surprisingly gets a fair amount of traffic.

It's not surprising

I for one have not bought into the 'net-->no' thing .. you seen me try to offload all those .no's recently?

thefabfive
3rd January 2009, 06:58 PM
I've seen alot of natives recently on the .nets of .coms that I own. Doesn't seem to deter them.

Rubber Duck
3rd January 2009, 08:21 PM
Of course dot Net doesn't forcibly have to be a transliteration, it could just as easily be сеть.

How do Russians write dot Net in Cyrillic?

Do they write it in Cyrillic?

The other thing is that it is not too uncommon in any language for two different words to be spelt the same. In English Net has several meanings. Do people get confused between those meanings. Of course not. Dot Com doesn't really have any meaning. How many people know what it really means?