PDA

View Full Version : IDN & SEO

spyros
15th January 2009, 09:31 AM
Hi All,

A question that in many ways may have no answers...

If I use a domain with an international name (greek in this instance) does that help in google search. For example if my domain is www .xxxxx. gr where xxxxx is my keyword and someone searches xxxxx would that help.

Does google incorporate idns in its search technology?

Thank you for your time

alexd
15th January 2009, 10:05 AM
Yassou Spiros

I personally believe that having your targetted keyword in your domain name is an added bonus when it comes to SEO.

However, having the perfect keyword domain and expecting to top Google is not enough. If it were, then everyones parked domains should be top of the search engines for the specific search terms.

Adding unique content to your pages is the most important aspect of doing well in the SEs.

As for Google and IDNs, I have a fair number of my developed IDNs doing very nicely in the Search results in Google.

An example you can look at ...

http://www.google.gr/search?hl=el&q=%CF%80%CE%B1%CE%B9%CF%87%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%B4%CE%B9%CE%B1&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Do a search on Google.gr for the search term παιχνιδια ( games )

Three of the top 4 results are idns. Look at the keyword in the domain !!

If these domains were simply parked, I don't think they would be achieving such good positions in Google. But having some unique content, along with a good keyword domain can go a long way.

Hope that helps.

Alex

spyros
15th January 2009, 10:18 AM
You seem to be right.

Guess the best way to see is to try!

Will let you know of my tests...

Thanks for your reply and kali xronia!

domainguru
15th January 2009, 11:45 AM
Hi All,

A question that in many ways may have no answers...

If I use a domain with an international name (greek in this instance) does that help in google search. For example if my domain is www.xxxxx.gr where xxxxx is my keyword and someone searches xxxxx would that help.

Does google incorporate idns in its search technology?

Thank you for your time

The question does have a clear answer - yes!

As for the extent of the effect, that is certainly a question that has no definite answer, but all the evidence says that having the domain as the keyword is beneficial to some extent.

later777
15th January 2009, 07:35 PM
No question it helps. This is one of the reasons keyword domains are valuable.
But of course content and backlinks matter a lot too. However even without content and backlinks as it is now, a keyword domain will get high rank anyway with minimum work IMO.

Asiaplay
16th January 2009, 09:00 AM
It definitely helps ranking on search engines... but the degree to which it helps, I think is linked to how much SEO is being done for that "keyword" in any given "language market".
e.g. In Korea I have seen a parked domain rank #18 (and it only has 2 words on the parked page, that match the IDN keyword - basically no text at all otherwise). :eek:
Admitedly at the same time, the other sites for that "keyword" are doing a pretty bad job for off-page SEO (and even on-page) - but since the competition is very large for that keyword, the fact that even a page 2, #18 position, is possible for a 1 page IDN website, with a handful of words only... means their is a definite effect).
i.e. Korea is quite weak in terms of doing any real SEO (generally speaking), so the effect is obviously quite high from using an IDN keyword.

As others say, it definitely helps to own a good keyword IDN, but to what degree it helps, I think ultimately depends on how well, your competitors for any keyword, use SEO as well.

However, one thing I personally feel, is that if someone does an equally good job as their competitors i.e. everyone has equally as good SEO (and you own that keyword IDN), then their competitors can actually never beat you... as whatever that small, or more than small difference is, it will push you that step up and into #1 position (of course it means you have to equal other SEO factors).

So perhaps aim to do the best SEO you can, while at the same time owning / using the best keyword IDN (but don't think the keyword IDN alone, will get you into top position).

Cheers, Asiaplay

PS: there has been discussion over the years that the "factoring" (advantage) in the google formula, was much, much better for IDN keywords verse ascii keyword domains (however this effect seems to be lessening over time in some markets, but is still very evident in others...).

DomainInvestor
31st January 2009, 04:30 AM
well if you are targeting your own language searchers then "yes" include keywords in your domain does help in terms of SEO. It is a fact that most SEO gurus will tell you.