PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft warns that Vista, XP upgrade blockers set to expire

Rubber Duck
30th January 2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=knowledge_center&articleId=9127068&taxonomyId=1&intsrc=kc_top

Asiaplay
30th January 2009, 11:33 PM
https://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9125165

Rubber Duck
1st February 2009, 05:01 AM
Don't know whether anyone else got this, but to me it looks like the end of IE6.

Yes, IE8 will be optional, but it seems everyone is going to at least IE7.

Anyway, well done to Asiaplay for being awake.

phio
1st February 2009, 05:03 AM
how the hell are 90% of the US corps going to handle this if most of them have been snooozing for years with IE6. Time for a Rude awaking.

Rubber Duck
1st February 2009, 05:08 AM
how the hell are 90% of the US corps going to handle this if most of them have been snooozing for years with IE6. Time for a Rude awaking.

Use Google Chrome, which is probably what most of their employees are using already at this one gets around all the bollocks about Admin priviledges?

Anyway, the Administrators will probably straighten most of them out!

Asiaplay
1st February 2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah - seems IE7... unfortunately, going past that I doubt (most techy's inside big companies that control these things, are very conservative and in reality just 1/2 technically inclined i.e. they will change nothing unless they have to).

Perhaps the question is, have MS made all language versions of MS Windows follow the same rules e.g. will Japanese Windows follow the same rules? (not sure...).

I guess we will see soon!

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: Also for China I suspect that most people have auto update turned off a lot of the time (or deny update check installs) and therefore rely on manual updates of The World browser - so this might not help too much for there...

I guess people buying a new computer is the time / way they upgrade more (so with linux on the rise, that might not be IE in the coming years anyway - Red Flag using Firefox or Opera on pda phone browsers perhaps :yes: ).