PDA

View Full Version : The Logo of CCTV

JamesZ
4th February 2009, 04:12 AM
The ministry of education of China said the Logo of CCTV (China Central Television) is not standard according to the law. They should use Chinese instead. They said many other TV stations need to change their logo as well.

CCTV, the largest TV network in China, has used cctv.com for many years. They argued that it is very difficult to change after many years' usage and advertising. They may have to change it one day since that is the law. Seems the Chinese government does not like foreign letters.

教育部称CCTV台标不规范 央视回应称难修改

The article is in Chinese.

http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2009-02-04/013817142372.shtml

Asiaplay
4th February 2009, 07:07 AM
Very funny really... this reminds me so much of every persons favourite expression "我们的规定是。。。" (Our policy / rule / regulation is...) - to which the standard answer is always "Your rule / policy is very stupid"!

This has to make one laugh really! :)

So maybe we will see 中国中央电视台1, 中国中央电视台5 etc. in the future... or will it be ZGZYDYT1 (or abbreviated to ZZDT1) for the mixed English Channels... all in the name of Education!
Unfortunately ZZDT1 sort of in turn reminds me of that famous seafood / dried fish preservative used by some who didn't follow the rules in China i.e. DDT! :o

Cheers - Asiaplay

JamesZ
4th February 2009, 11:47 AM
So maybe we will see 中国中央电视台1, 中国中央电视台5 etc. in the future... or will it be ZGZYDYT1 (or abbreviated to ZZDT1) for the mixed English Channels... all in the name of Education!

Cheers - Asiaplay

People usually say 央视, a simplified form of 中国中央电视台. So we will likely see 央视1 or 央视新闻,央视体育,央视音乐. I think they are indeed better than those logos like CCTV体育,CCTV音乐, since many people do not understand what CCTV stands for.

Asiaplay
4th February 2009, 02:12 PM
Everyone I know, knows what CCTV stands for i.e. what is the Chinese TV station Name it equates to!!!
Your Mainland Chinese friends must be a lot less smart than my non-English speaking Chinese friends, if they truly do not know... is all I can say ;) :yawn:

PS: not that it matters at all to me what they choose to use... find it a bit funny after 40+ years that they even bother...

JamesZ
4th February 2009, 06:08 PM
Everyone I know, knows what CCTV stands for i.e. what is the Chinese TV station Name it equates to!!!
Your Mainland Chinese friends must be a lot less smart than my non-English speaking Chinese friends, if they truly do not know... is all I can say ;) :yawn:

PS: not that it matters at all to me what they choose to use... find it a bit funny after 40+ years that they even bother...

I mean they know CCTV is a label for 中央电视台. But they do not know CCTV stands for China Central Television, as it requires some basic English knowledge. If one does not use English at all, he/she does not remember even simple words a few years after school.

Asiaplay
4th February 2009, 06:55 PM
I mean they know CCTV is a label for 中央电视台. ... ... this is exactly why any change is redundant! :)

As this is all a logo needs to do... it is not important for anyone to know what the individual letters stand for, but only for them to understand what the brand it represents equals i.e. 中国中央电视台... (which is why I find any change humorous in this instance - lol).

Cheers James - Asiaplay