PDA

View Full Version : Domainsite renewal code not valid anymore?

mulligan
10th February 2009, 09:45 PM
Code validates in the control panel but it's not applied when renewing domains.

Anyone else?

alexd
10th February 2009, 09:52 PM
Steve

Which renewal code is this ?? I remember I applied one ( which if I remember correctly was posted on these forums ) to my Domainsite account about a year ago or so.

Yesterday I did a whole bunch of renewals and automatically the price for each was $6.49.

Alex

mulligan
10th February 2009, 10:03 PM
Code is idnx56789 but checking out the price is $8.88 .. Wierd

mgrohan
10th February 2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, i tried it about 3-4 months ago using idnx56789, and it didn't work for me then - code was accepted, but at checkout no discount applied

rhys
10th February 2009, 11:30 PM
Anyone else hampered from renewing because domainsite takes forever to load the bulk renewal screen? Any fix?

rhys
10th February 2009, 11:40 PM
The renewal code is not working for me anymore. I used it only a few days ago successfully. Could someone who has a contact ask them about it? If the new price is 8.88, I'm transferring en masse to dynadot.

jose
10th February 2009, 11:56 PM
The renewal code is not working for me anymore. I used it only a few days ago successfully. Could someone who has a contact ask them about it? If the new price is 8.88, I'm transferring en masse to dynadot.

Dito! alexd used it yesterday thus... was this the last day?!

yanni
11th February 2009, 12:23 AM
Haven't used the code but up until yesterday renewals were 6.50, now 8.88 as mentioned.
Same thing on the hanging issue.

chrisofmel
11th February 2009, 12:38 AM
code not working here either, $8.88 is a steep increase.

jose
11th February 2009, 01:10 AM
Dynadot here we go! As anyone got in touch with them?

Better tell them also that 10.000 IDNs are moving!

mulligan
11th February 2009, 01:14 AM
Dynadot here we go! As anyone got in touch with them?

Better tell them also that 10.000 IDNs are moving!

I'm waiting for a response from them. I'll update here when they reply.

Fka200
11th February 2009, 01:29 AM
Definitely moving...

jose
11th February 2009, 01:35 AM

Thanks. What else could come against us this year yet?!

alexd
11th February 2009, 06:00 AM

I'll definately be up for moving all mine out of Domainsite as well.

From $6.50 to $8.88 is a pretty steep increase. Pity Domainsite didnt issue any warning about this, as I would have renewed a whole bunch more.

Rubber Duck
11th February 2009, 07:54 AM
By the time we need to renew $8.88 won't buy you a cup of coffee this side of the pond.

MDM
11th February 2009, 10:23 AM
I'll definately be up for moving all mine out of Domainsite as well.

From $6.50 to $8.88 is a pretty steep increase. Pity Domainsite didnt issue any warning about this, as I would have renewed a whole bunch more.

We will do the same.

Clotho
11th February 2009, 04:38 PM
I would be forced to consider a move as well.

thefabfive
11th February 2009, 04:54 PM
As would I.

bwhhisc
11th February 2009, 05:45 PM
Their basic service as advertised on their price list is currently $7.88 for .com annually, and $8.88 for their premium service.
However, the $ 7.88 does not seem to show up as option for renewals.

I wrote them an email to see what is up and will post what I find out.
Hopefully they will reinstate the $6.49 renewals or at least give a notice period for any price increases.

alexd
11th February 2009, 06:23 PM
I also sent Domainsite an email earlier about this, and have now just received a reply back from them ....

--------------

Hello Alex,

We appreciate your response! Our renewals have been $8.88 for some
time and we were happy to offer our $6.49 renewal special for IDN
domains as long as we could. Unfortunately, we can no longer continue
to offer IDN renewals at $6.49.

Let us know if you have further questions. We are happy to help!

----------

Definately looks like the price will stay at $8.88 - so the option of transfering out to Dynadot looks like it will definately happen with my domains still at Domainsite.

Can anyone let me know how much time you have to transfer a domain from one registrar to another before the domain expires ?? I have some domains that expire on the 13th Feb - would I be able to get these transfered over to my Dynadot account in time ??

Alex

thefabfive
11th February 2009, 06:26 PM
Most registrars will not transfer domains that expire in less than 7 days, I believe.

bwhhisc
11th February 2009, 06:27 PM
The $7.88 basic service 1 year .com renewals disappeared in the last week or so from their price list.
Now seems that $8.88 is the lowest price. No notice to customers on that or the $ 6.49 IDN price jump to $ 8.88 :mad:

thefabfive
11th February 2009, 06:32 PM
Hopefully Domainsite can send us a list of our domain with the authorization codes. Right now I believe you have to get them one domain at a time. :o

bwhhisc
11th February 2009, 07:15 PM
Hopefully Domainsite can send us a list of our domain with the authorization codes. Right now I believe you have to get them one domain at a time. :o

Some registrars can bulk transfer and will handle just about every aspect of the transfer details for you. I have emailed one of the managers I know ccount Manager at Domainsite....I think RD knows the owner of Domainsite... Bill Mushkin who set up IDN registration early on. Maybe RD can bend his ear about pricing, or at least some grace period for renewals. I agree with Jose that we should band together and negotiate pricing based on total domains which are probably 20,000+ for our group.

GOT THIS FROM MONIKER WEBSITE:
Do you have more than 1 domain name to Transfer to Moniker?
Moniker will allow you to bulk transfer up to 1000 domains at a time. An authorization email will be sent to the admin email address of file for the domains submitted for transfer. We are required by ICANN policy to verify the ownership of all domains transfered into Moniker.

gammascalper
11th February 2009, 07:34 PM
Moniker will allow you to bulk transfer up to 1000 domains at a time. An authorization email will be sent to the admin email address of file for the domains submitted for transfer. We are required by ICANN policy to verify the ownership of all domains transfered into Moniker.

Moniker charges $8.02 and adds 4% for paypal payments.

Rubber Duck
11th February 2009, 07:58 PM
Frankly, I have been expecting this for a while. I think we got overlooked and they are actually playing catch-up. I think you can expect more problems to come as many ASCII get dropped and the registrars lose turnover.

Some registrars can bulk transfer and will handle just about every aspect of the transfer details for you. I have emailed one of the managers I know ccount Manager at Domainsite....I think RD knows the owner of Domainsite... Bill Mushkin who set up IDN registration early on. Maybe RD can bend his ear about pricing, or at least some grace period for renewals. I agree with Jose that we should band together and negotiate pricing based on total domains which are probably 20,000+ for our group.

bwhhisc
11th February 2009, 09:14 PM
Moniker charges $8.02 and adds 4% for paypal payments.

Dynadot is at $7.50 with Bulk Pricing. I don't mind Domainsite raising prices but they should have given customers some notification.

alexd
11th February 2009, 09:22 PM
Dynadot is at $7.50 with Bulk Pricing. I don't mind Domainsite raising prices but they should have given customers some notification.

I agree 100% with that. Suddenly jacking the price up by about $1.50 overnight without any prior warning was a bit of a shitty thing to have done. It would have been nice to have got at least a weeks notice that they were planning on increasing their prices. The way Domainsite have gone about this will most likely cause them to lose a lot of business over the coming months.

Looks like I am stuck with some domains that need renewing within the next few days, but all the others that have some time left will start to be transfered over to Dyndot - a saving of a $1+ per domain is still something.

gammascalper
11th February 2009, 09:27 PM
Frankly, I have been expecting this for a while. I think we got overlooked and they are actually playing catch-up. I think you can expect more problems to come as many ASCII get dropped and the registrars lose turnover.

Yeah, I agree. $6.49 was probably a loss leader that worked when customers bought premium services like privacy protection, and didn't bother changing their NS for those potential couple of clicks a month.

What's the bare minimum set-out by Verisign and ICANN? Something like $6.50 + $0.40 iirc.

blastfromthepast
12th February 2009, 04:37 AM
8.88 is luckiest of lucky number!!!

gammascalper
14th February 2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, blast! $8.88 -- he must be from HK!

fwiw dynadot's transfer status screens are non-pareil, but Moniker's sorting functions are easily the best I've used. Great for grouping by nameservers, for instance. That's always handy for domainers :)

bwhhisc
14th February 2009, 11:49 AM
I heard from Scott at Namedrive and they are still discussing options. We should expect to hear from them next week if there will be any plan to offer IDN prices more in line with Dynadot, Moniker etc.

markits
14th February 2009, 12:15 PM
????
I have never heard about the code. Most of my DS domains have been renewed to 2011, about 30% towards 2012.

Stupid me:(

bwhhisc
14th February 2009, 04:58 PM
????
I have never heard about the code. Most of my DS domains have been renewed to 2011, about 30% towards 2012. Stupid me:(

Weren't your IDNs coming up automatically at $ 6.49? Out of my 12+ accounts all by 1 automatically gave me the $6.49 at checkout. For ascii it "used" to give me $7.88 basic or $8.88 premium, which now EVERYTHING is $8.88.

bwhhisc
14th February 2009, 05:03 PM
I agree 100% with that. Suddenly jacking the price up by about $1.50 overnight without any prior warning was a bit of a shitty thing to have done. It would have been nice to have got at least a weeks notice that they were planning on increasing their prices. The way Domainsite have gone about this will most likely cause them to lose a lot of business over the coming months.

They actually went up from $6.49 to $8.88 overnight...$ 2.39 each or 37%. They did not announce because their cost is $7.25 and they did not want to eat thousands of renewals at .75 <loss>. I agree with Drew, out bitch is with Verisign/ ICANN for jacking rates from their end, and ICANN for not taking competive proposals from the likes of Tucow's etc who offer to do it at a better cost. Still hope Domainsite will come back with a $ 7.50 to $7.88 plan for bulk customers (or for IDNF members).

alexd
14th February 2009, 05:19 PM
They actually went up from $6.49 to $8.88 overnight...$ 2.39 each or 37%. They did not announce because their cost is $7.25 and they did not want to eat thousands of renewals at .75 <loss>. I agree with Drew, out bitch is with Verisign/ ICANN for jacking rates from their end, and ICANN for not taking competive proposals from the likes of Tucow's etc who offer to do it at a better cost. Still hope Domainsite will come back with a $ 7.50 to $7.88 plan for bulk customers (or for IDNF members).

I really had no idea that they were actually making a loss with each renewal at $6.49 - in that case, I don't think I can really complain about it. Actually, yesterday, I renewed about 20 domains or so that were due to expire on the 13th - so I had to pay the $8.88 charge for each of them, as I didn't have any time to initiate a transfer to Dynadot.

However, if Domainsite are not able to at least match the Dynadot price, then I will definately start transfering my domains over - $1.30 is quite a big difference in price between Domainsite and Dynadot, and when you are talking about a number of domains, then all of those $1.30 add up to quite a significant amount.

Alex

markits
15th February 2009, 06:52 AM
Weren't your IDNs coming up automatically at $ 6.49? Out of my 12+ accounts all by 1 automatically gave me the $6.49 at checkout. For ascii it "used" to give me $7.88 basic or $8.88 premium, which now EVERYTHING is $8.88.

I renewed most domains before the fee increased to $6.99. However about 200 were renewed at $6.99 x 2 years.

bwhhisc
15th February 2009, 02:56 PM
I renewed most domains before the fee increased to $6.99. However about 200 were renewed at $6.99 x 2 years.

Good deal, you got under the wire before they jumped to $8.88.

alexd
15th February 2009, 06:01 PM
I've just initiated the transfer of about 30 .nets from my Domainsite account over to Dynadot. With the Dynadot pricing of $5.99 for IDN.net - I've made quite a saving when compared with Domainsites pricing of $8.88.

Does anyone have any idea how long the $5.99 pricing for .nets will remain at Dynadot ??

Alex

bwhhisc
15th February 2009, 07:13 PM
I've just initiated the transfer of about 30 .nets from my Domainsite account over to Dynadot. With the Dynadot pricing of $5.99 for IDN.net - I've made quite a saving when compared with Domainsites pricing of $8.88. Does anyone have any idea how long the $5.99 pricing for .nets will remain at Dynadot ?? Alex

Verisign/ICANN charges substantially less for .nets to registrars, I think they make money even at that price. Dynadot usually goes up in tandem with increases from Verisign so hopefully will hold their prices until the next bump. In addition to costs below, there is a .20 ICANN fee, plus 3% credit card/paypal processing fees.

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE BELOW...(with small edit on first line to update current com/net prices) Currently, registrars pay VeriSign $6.86 (.com) and $4.23 (.net) respectively. Those price hikes are the maximum 7 percent allowable (to the penny) under VeriSign's contract (which runs through 2012) with ICANN. Chances are, registrars will pass the price increase on to customers.

In a press release justifying the higher prices, VeriSign cited increases in the amount of traffic and cyber attacks on the global TLD infrastructure it is responsible for. The company says it is boosting infrastructure capacity ten-fold by 2010 via its Project Titan, as well as increasing DNS capacity from 400 billion daily queries to over four trillion, even though it currently only processes a peak of 33 billion queries per day under current conditions.

It also helps that the ICANN has given VeriSign a monopoly over the .com and .net TLDs, allowing the company to jack prices up each year. At least ICANN had the foresight to mandate a 7 percent annual cap on increases, putting a limit on the amount of pain VeriSign can inflict on registrars each year. Assuming that VeriSign continues the 7 percent rise each year (which seems reasonable given the company's history), registrars will be looking at $9.00 for .com domains by the time the current contract ends in 2012—a 50 percent increase in six years. END QUOTE

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/03/verisign-ups-cost-of-com-net-domains-second-year-in-a-row.ars