PDA

View Full Version : Yeah I own TV too

rhys
17th April 2006, 04:45 AM
Since others have been talking about .tv, I'll state for the record that I believe that .tv is pure speculation. Development is required and real value is several years away. Nonetheless, I know that .tv is not completely unknown among Japanese domains even today and I clearly see the potential. I placed a few bets down on .tv back in February and here are some of them. I'm in for the long haul. Thoughts?

エッチ.tv slang for "sex" OVT 634254
風俗.tv name for a place to receive sex services, like "brothel" OVT 804311
旅行.tv "travel"
料理.tv "cooking"
天気.tv "weather"
映画.tv "movie"
音楽.tv "music"

IDN.TV
17th April 2006, 04:51 AM
Great Names !! is my only thought...

touchring
17th April 2006, 06:47 AM
Since others have been talking about .tv, I'll state for the record that I believe that .tv is pure speculation. Development is required and real value is several years away. Nonetheless, I know that .tv is not completely unknown among Japanese domains even today and I clearly see the potential. I placed a few bets down on .tv back in February and here are some of them. I'm in for the long haul. Thoughts?

旅行.tv "travel"
料理.tv "cooking"
天気.tv "weather"
映画.tv "movie"
音楽.tv "music"

Names are great, but one thing, writeoff 3 year's registration fee, wait out.

mulligan
17th April 2006, 07:07 AM
I have some .tv' also and have accepted that they either need developing or settle in for the long haul.
Someone made a good point on this forum about extending the registration now for another 2, 3 or 5 years so that when the registrars get wind of how *fantastic* they are gonna be and jack the prices at least you wont have to pay it...

touchring
17th April 2006, 07:16 AM
I have some .tv' also and have accepted that they either need developing or settle in for the long haul.
Someone made a good point on this forum about extending the registration now for another 2, 3 or 5 years so that when the registrars get wind of how *fantastic* they are gonna be and jack the prices at least you wont have to pay it...

I think it will still be a long way to go before IDN.TV get jacked up.

In any case, they would first jack up the prices of names like www.china.tv - it's an error page - so i can't imagine an owner not having a proper site for a jacked up domain.

kenne
17th April 2006, 07:48 AM
Is there anything that protect domain owners from unreasonable price jacks? I think it's crammy when you do all the work developing a domain, then have to pay a ransom to continue to use it. :o

Rubber Duck
17th April 2006, 08:18 AM
Is there anything that protect domain owners from unreasonable price jacks? I think it's crammy when you do all the work developing a domain, then have to pay a ransom to continue to use it. :o

Effectively Verisign is saying that they have done the speculation on this one, and that the extension is intended only for affluent end users. Why would anyone want to speculate under those conditions?

touchring
17th April 2006, 08:45 AM
Effectively Verisign is saying that they have done the speculation on this one, and that the extension is intended only for affluent end users. Why would anyone want to speculate under those conditions?

Well, let's put it this way, it's a chicken and egg thing, by the time Verisign acknowledges that your domain is worth money for a jack up - you'll probably made it - your domain would have appreciated 1000 times.

Of course, to counter this move, as what mulligan has said, it might be wise to register for 3-8 years at a go for "valuable names" just before Verisign makes it's move. At the moment, with probably less than 500 idn.tv registered, i do not see how Verisign would kill off idn.tv by jacking up prices.

This talk about jacking up is too early.

IDN.TV
17th April 2006, 08:46 AM
I have always feared verisign increasing the reg. fee, I am fine with reg. my names for 10 years if that helps (if that helps), I am pretty confident about my names and the IDNs, but not the reg. fee.

I think this is one serious question we .TV IDN holders should answer.

Rubber Duck
17th April 2006, 08:48 AM
I have always feared verisign increasing the reg. fee, I am fine with reg. my names for 10 years if that helps (if that helps), I am pretty confident about my names and the IDNs, but not the reg. fee.

Yes, if you end up paying $50K a year in reg fees that takes a serious chunk, may be as much as $500K out of the value of the domain.

touchring
17th April 2006, 08:53 AM

Please take a look at www.china.tv, it's registered by someone in China since 2000, tell me if you think he is paying a jack up fee. After you have seen the site, you can tell us what you think.

Should IDNs and .TV take off, i'm prepared to register my best names for 15 years if that's possible, that will settle the jack up problem. It's as simple as that. What's 15 years fee cost? 15 x $35 = $525.

And will people think about what happens after 15 years? No. Probably birdflu or nuclear bomb planted by terrorists would have wiped out one third of the world in 15 years.

IDN.TV
17th April 2006, 09:00 AM
I know its a crappy site, but probably he is paying a high reg. fee hoping to sell it to some end user for a really high value. I know a lot of people doing that.

But, anyway I am sure we will know in advance when they jack up, so lets keep the liquidity, and reg. these names for a long time when we get to know.

touchring
17th April 2006, 09:04 AM
I know its a crappy site, but probably he is paying a high reg. fee hoping to sell it to some end user for a really high value. I know a lot of people doing that.

But, anyway I am sure we will know in advance when they jack up, so lets keep the liquidity, and reg. these names for a long time when we get to know.

How do you know his name is jacked up?

IDN.TV
17th April 2006, 09:16 AM
I own a lot of ascii .TV domains both premium and non premium, if its a premium name then it is reg. by versign, verisign does not give whois info. about .tv domains not registered through them, when I checked for www.china.tv in www.tv , it gave the whois data, so dat means it has been reg. by them. I think the annual reg. fee for this domain would be definetly greater than > $10000

Elequa owns a lot of premium .tv's which he has parked with no development. He believes that .tv will be the future of the internet.

Rubber Duck
17th April 2006, 09:26 AM
Elequa owns a lot of premium .tv's which he has parked with no development. He believes that .tv will be the future of the internet.

He may be right, but that doesn't mean that he will necessarily be rich. If Verisign turn the screws the domains may be worth a fortune, but he may end up with next to nothing.

touchring
17th April 2006, 09:36 AM
I own a lot of ascii .TV domains both premium and non premium, if its a premium name then it is reg. by versign, verisign does not give whois info. about .tv domains not registered through them, when I checked for www.china.tv in www.tv , it gave the whois data, so dat means it has been reg. by them. I think the annual reg. fee for this domain would be definetly greater than > $10000

But www.tv does not even support idns....

Anyway, i took a look at my .tvs, i could extend their registration till 2017 for about $300 more.

IDN.TV
17th April 2006, 09:45 AM
He may be right, but that doesn't mean that he will necessarily be rich. If Verisign turn the screws the domains may be worth a fortune, but he may end up with next to nothing.

He is already rich...He owns a lot more domains other than .TV,

WWW.tv doesnot support IDN .tv's but as verisign has the marketing rights for .tv's so it can take it up any time, and www.china.tv is not an idn and I am definite that it is a premium reg.

touchring
17th April 2006, 09:52 AM
He is already rich...He owns a lot more domains other than .TV,

WWW.tv doesnot support IDN .tv's but as verisign has the marketing rights for .tv's so it can take it up any time, and www.china.tv is not an idn and I am definite that it is a premium reg.

So, what do you suggest? Extend to the max 10 years?

IDN.TV
17th April 2006, 10:09 AM
I suggest lets wait till IE 7, then lets change our strategies. It will deifntely take some time for versign to figure out what is premium in the IDN sector.

touchring
17th April 2006, 10:13 AM

I'm a bit confused by this. Doesn't Verisign own .tvs? I registered my .tvs at discountdomain24, does this mean Verisign doesn't control my domains?

IDN.TV
17th April 2006, 10:16 AM
http://resellers.tucows.com/about/press/abc_viewPressReleasesPy?ID=press20&year=2001&ACTION=View

Rubber Duck
17th April 2006, 11:49 AM
So, what do you suggest? Extend to the max 10 years?

Yes, you would think that was the obvious solution, however, it not as simple as that.

Why is a domain able to be sold for a huge capital sum, when it is only something that is leased? The reason is that there is huge discrepancy between what you will pay annually for the lease and what that annual lease is worth in terms of revenue.

To establish the value of a domain all you have to do is sum these differences, into infinity doing the necessary discounting for the future value of money, due to inflation etc.

The problem is that Verisign are going to revalue the lease at some future point in time and keep revaluing it to reflect its market value. This means that the short-term differences will be eroded to a virtually negligible amount. This means that the capital transfer value will tend towards zero, depending on how efficiently Verisign arbitrage the market.

Clearly by extending for ten years you can effectively freeze the discrepancy between renewal and lease value over that period, but the summation of these difference is going to be small as it might take five year for dot TV to get going. I wouldn't personally touch these with a 10ft pole.

touchring
17th April 2006, 02:23 PM
I did some research, and then checked dot tv registration agreement, seems that there are 2 categories, "registered names" and "premium names".

https://www.tv/en-def-5066945b5fcc/en/policies/registration-agree.shtml

Some discussions on this issue on namepros:
http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/127163-tv-premium-domains-fixed-dynamic-list.html?highlight=tv+renewal

So it seems that we are jumping into conclusion again without first finding out the facts. :)

Rubber Duck
17th April 2006, 02:33 PM
I did some research, and then checked dot tv registration agreement, seems that there are 2 categories, "registered names" and "premium names".

https://www.tv/en-def-5066945b5fcc/en/policies/registration-agree.shtml

Some discussions on this issue on namepros:
http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/127163-tv-premium-domains-fixed-dynamic-list.html?highlight=tv+renewal

So it seems that we are jumping into conclusion again without first finding out the facts. :)

Well the first interesting facts I have found are that Business.tv and news.tv are $1M per year!

Second thing that is obvious is that you are not the registrant for these premium domains, they actually belong to www.tv, which is why you cannot transfer to another registrar.

And some loosely worded bits that spell danger:

Unless otherwise set forth on the The .tv Corporation Website at www.tv (or any successor site thereto), if you registered a Domain Name through The .tv Corporation Web site at www.tv your Domain Name registration term will be set to automatically renew on the anniversary of the Domain Name registration ......

...In the event of a charge back by a credit card company or a similar action by another payment provider, you understand and agree that we shall retain all rights regarding the Domain Name registration or applicable Service, including, without limitation, the right to terminate this Agreement and/or suspend, cancel, transfer, or modify your registration of the Domain Name or applicable Service......

.....The .tv Corporation is unable to, or does not, process payment for the renewal that the Domain Name registration will expire, and (ii) we shall have no liability to you or any third party in connection with the renewal as described herein, including, but not limited to, any failure or errors in renewing the services. In the event of a charge back by a credit card company or a similar action by another payment provider, you understand and agree that we shall retain all rights regarding the Domain Name registration or applicable Service, including, without limitation, the right to terminate this Agreement and/or suspend, cancel, transfer, or modify your registration of the Domain Name or applicable Service.....

.....If you have not renewed your Domain Name registration by the anniversary date your Domain Name registration shall be subject to deletion at any time thereafter. We may, but are not obligated to, provide you with a grace period to redeem the expired Domain Name and renew your registration....

....In the event you transfer your domain name or should the domain name otherwise be transferred to another Registrar, the terms and conditions of this Agreement shall terminate in accordance with the terms set forth herein.....

idnceo
17th April 2006, 03:26 PM
旅行.tv "travel"
料理.tv "cooking"
天気.tv "weather"
映画.tv "movie"
音楽.tv "music"

Wow! Rhys, i dont know how to start to say how good your .tv are and how envious i am! :) i like 旅行.tv and 映画.tv Why dont u develop very simple with several japanese affiliate programs at the same time like adconmatch, amazon japan, etc etc.

anyway congrats! u went for the cream of .tv

touchring
17th April 2006, 03:31 PM
Wow! Rhys, i dont know how to start to say how good your .tv are and how envious i am! :) i like 旅行.tv and 映画.tv Why dont u develop very simple with several japanese affiliate programs at the same time like adconmatch, amazon japan, etc etc.

anyway congrats! u went for the cream of .tv

映画.tv -> Movie.tv!!!

And some loosely worded bits that spell danger:

Unless otherwise set forth on the The .tv Corporation Website at www.tv (or any successor site thereto), if you registered a Domain Name through The .tv Corporation Web site at www.tv your Domain Name registration term will be set to automatically renew on the anniversary of the Domain Name registration ......................

There's danger in all domains - only a while ago, all of us were wondering over whether China is banning idn.com or forwarding it to .cn. Also, when it comes to .cn, Giant pointed out the danger of China's CNNIC cancelling all your registrations. And now, when we talk about .tv we are worried that the Americans behind TV Corp will raise registration fees from $35 to $10,000. Very soon, we shall be talking about Verisign putting up all of it's .com and .net domains, including the one already registered up for auction 1 mth before expiry. :o

Rubber Duck
17th April 2006, 05:13 PM
Yes, I take your point, but dot com is the one most people trust and there is safety in numbers. With 50M registered can you imagine how much it would cost to settle a Class Action!

touchring
17th April 2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, I take your point, but dot com is the one most people trust and there is safety in numbers. With 50M registered can you imagine how much it would cost to settle a Class Action!

Yup, good point, it's all about odds - there's risk in everything. Ultimately, the field for idn.tv is still open - many good names still available - so it's good to investigate further.

IDN.TV
19th April 2006, 02:03 PM
"Dear Vimal,

The TV Corporation does not sell actual IDNs. Therefore, people could
not register them through us. The TV Corporation is the only Registrar
who sells premium domains. Therefore, if you registered a .TV IDN with
another Registrar, the pricing would depend on that Registrar, not us.

idn.tv is considered premium because it is 3 characters, not because it
has IDN in it.

Best Regards,

Bryant, Bonnie
Customer Care
The .tv Corporation
customercare@www.tv

1 800.255.2218 Toll Free US & Canada
1 703.376.0001 International
1 703.421.5828 Fax

From fd99392@yahoo.co.in
To customercare@www.tv
Cc
Subject Hello !
Date 18-Apr-2006 16:28:08
Attachments None

Hello,

I have got a name called idn.tv, and I am looking for
developing this website, but I have two questions
unanswered,

1. People who are interested to register .TV in
international languages (IDN) are scared to register,
because versign might hike the prices later. Is it
possible that versign realises that some name in some
language is premium and hike the price. If this is the
case it would be tough on people who are planning to
register the .TV names in the 120 odd languages.

I will be highly obliged if I can get the answers for
this question.

Thanx,
Vimal "

:) I new that IDN was premium, because it was 3 character, If this mail is not supposed to be published please tell me.

touchring
19th April 2006, 03:29 PM
Yes, i made that conclusion as well after making some research - i was doing some fact finding to decide whether i should extend my .tv names to 10 years.

Based on most sources third party sources, Premium .TV and Registered .TV names are under two completely different contracts. Registered names are those that we register for $33 a year, whereas premium names have flexible rates decided by TV Corp.

Another factor to consider is that we are dealing with the third party Registrar and not with TV Corp or Verisign directly, therefore, this makes our position is little more secure since TV Corp has an agreement with the Registrar, and cannot easily terminate or confiscate names for the purpose of converting to "Premium Names" - assuming that such a thing could happen.

huronargentino
19th April 2006, 03:34 PM
HEY, i am one of the first on going into IDN.tv IDNS!!!
I have a nice portfolio, Recently sold ANIME.tv (payment pending) and now maybe i sell some new more.
Here you have to take a look
All opinions are welcome.

economía.tv (economy.tv in spanish)
サッカー.tv (Soccer.Tv in japanese)
ショッピング.tv (Shopping.Tv in japanese)
きっず.tv (Kids.Tv in japanese (slang))
キッズ.tv (Kids.tv in japanese - another popular way)
大阪.tv (Osaka.Tv in japanese)
横浜.tv (Yokohama.Tv in japanese)
横浜市.tv (Yokohama.Tv in japanese)
京都.tv (Kyoto.Tv in japanese)
体育.tv (Sports.Tv in japanese)