PDA

View Full Version : इंडियन.com - Any native speakers in here ?

alexd
27th April 2009, 09:57 PM
Hi guys.

Just registered इंडियन.com ( xn--i1bj3f2a8a9f.com ) on a drop. Its a Hindi domain, and from what I can gather, it means Indian. Are there any native speakers in here to give me a confirmation of this domain ??

The .net has been registered since 2006 by someone living in India.

Any feedback on this domain will be most appreciated - especially if its incorrect and one that I should drop.

Thanks

Alex

catchnames
28th April 2009, 12:34 PM
It is not translation of "Indian" but transliteration. I am not sure it may worth something.I may be wrong.correct translation will be भारतीय or हिन्दुस्तानी.

alexd
28th April 2009, 12:56 PM
It is not translation of "Indian" but transliteration. I am not sure it may worth something.I may be wrong.correct translation will be भारतीय or हिन्दुस्तानी.

Thanks for the reply catchnames.

I have no knowledge at all of the Hindi language.

I have just done a check on Google insights, with the domain I registered and the two translations you suggested ...
http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=%E0%A4%87%E0%A4%82%E0%A4%A1%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%A8%2C%E0%A4%AD%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%80%E0%A4%AF%2C%E0%A4%B9%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%A8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A6%E0%A5%81%E0%A4%B8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A8%E0%A5%80&cmpt=q
It appears that the one I registered is searched more, though thats not to say that mine is the best of the three, as the ones you suggested seem to be been registered a while back.

Thanks

Alex

bwhhisc
28th April 2009, 01:34 PM

Just curious....sometimes "transliterations" have 100k google serp results, whereby direct Hindi translations might be less than 10k. I can't think of a good example...but curious if you can comment on value of transliteration in Hindi.

I also notice that Google translate seems to quite often gives you the "transliteration" in translating English to Hindi.

catchnames
28th April 2009, 02:46 PM
Some of the English words are just imported in Hindi as it is (transliteration). And many people are used to such words. That might be the reason Google translate is using such words in their translation.

Rubber Duck
28th April 2009, 02:55 PM
Just curious....sometimes "transliterations" have 100k google serp results, whereby direct Hindi translations might be less than 10k. I can't think of a good example...but curious if you can comment on value of transliteration in Hindi.

I also notice that Google translate seems to quite often gives you the "transliteration" in translating English to Hindi.

Not really any weirder than Bungalow being used in English, is it?

domainguru
28th April 2009, 03:12 PM
Not really any weirder than Bungalow being used in English, is it?

Yeah, translits are just words entering other languages. The value depends on how well established the translit is in the receiving language.

For example, the most commonly search term in Thai *is* a translit i.e. "games" (in thai), whilst other words entering Thai from English are very recent, hence hardly ever used by Thais, hence not very valuable.

Google attempts to give you a good translation. If that best translation often happens to be a translit, that only shows a lot of English or other foreign words have entered that language.

But the important thing is users still type in *their* language, not the English word!!

kartik786
5th May 2009, 06:44 PM
Cool .. you were probably looking for हिन्दुस्तानी [Indian.com] pronounced hindustani :)

ami006
8th August 2009, 07:08 AM
Indian means people from India,

indian.com is a good name, congrats

domainguru
8th August 2009, 03:53 PM
Indian means people from India,

Thanks for the info ;)

alexd
27th April 2010, 01:04 PM
I have this one coming up for renewal in a couple of days and am 50/50 as to renew or not. The .net is still registered by someone living in India so I am not sure if its worth hanging onto this one for a while still.

When I search on Wiki for this term ( इंडियन ) - I get the following - http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%87%E0%A4%82%E0%A4%A1%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%A8 - This page seems to be for Indian Airlines. Does anyone know if my domain is infringing on any trademarks ?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Alex

tintin
27th April 2010, 01:55 PM
just an insight, hindi speakers will type in hindustani (or bharatiya) in hindi! an english (or non hindi , of which there is a bit ,considering the language rainbow of india) speaker may type in as 'indian' all depends on traffic imo,

my film.net www.फ़िल्म.net is getting traffic and there is the value imo :)

yanni
27th April 2010, 03:49 PM
my film.net www.फ़िल्म.net is getting traffic and there is the value imo :)

Here's a tip.

In your wordpress admin panel, go to Settings, then to permalinks and change the structure to custom [click the radio button] and add the following

/%postname%/

This way, your posts url won't show like this 'yourdomain.net/?page_id=83'
but it will show the actual title of your post which can also be in Hindi script.
It will help a lot with the search engines :)
[You can also change the category base into some nice Hindi keyword that has to do with film/s.

Also, your logo is too small and almost unreadable.

Good Luck.

kartik786
28th April 2010, 10:16 AM
The domain is not infringing any trademarks :)

As I said hindustani (owned by me) would be better than indian, but this one is worth holding anyway.

alexd
28th April 2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply Kartik - I'll renew it for another year and see what happens. See you all here again on this thread in 12 months.

Alex

tintin
30th April 2010, 04:08 PM
thanks !:)
done,
using the global translator now too,http://xn--o2bgl3bp9f.net/hi/Here's a tip.

In your wordpress admin panel, go to Settings, then to permalinks and change the structure to custom [click the radio button] and add the following

/%postname%/

This way, your posts url won't show like this 'yourdomain.net/?page_id=83'
but it will show the actual title of your post which can also be in Hindi script.
It will help a lot with the search engines :)
[You can also change the category base into some nice Hindi keyword that has to do with film/s.

Also, your logo is too small and almost unreadable.

Good Luck.