PDA

View Full Version : Gap between data bases for registrars

Olney
12th September 2005, 09:27 PM
I get the feeling like there is a network of Registrars that the sites like Enon & Domainsite can't access.
I'm not sure why but their are some really good domains that we want to buy & according to most of the databases they are available
But when we go to register them they are unavailable.

Anyone know exactly when Network solution dropped IDN registration services?

Rubber Duck
13th September 2005, 09:47 AM
Network Solution dropped IDN because they perceived that the cost of support would exceed their margin. They were getting too fet just registering millions of domains at $35 a year. The probably didn't count on GoDaddy taking half their business.

I think only Dot Com and Dot Net are fully functional as gTLD for IDN. I think dot info and org only cover Western Europe although that will change.

Most ccTLD only cover local language sets. Don't think you can registered Arabic under dot CN for example.

You cannot now register a domain in Traditional Chinese that is already registered in Simplified Chinese, unless you put them through on the same order in which case the block would not have time to be established. Japanese has a big overlap with Traditional Chinese and will therefore also be affected by this blocking. The argument is the that the difference between these character sets is no greater than Bold Type to ordinary fonts.

I you are unsure use

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict_welcome.php

to see find out the Simplified Chinese equivalent of your Japanese/Traditional Kanji. If you then check these you should find that they are already registered.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

gammascalper
13th September 2005, 04:01 PM
You cannot now register a domain in Traditional Chinese that is already registered in Simplified Chinese, unless you put them through on the same order in which case the block would not have time to be established. Japanese has a big overlap with Traditional Chinese and will therefore also be affected by this blocking. The argument is the that the difference between these character sets is no greater than Bold Type to ordinary fonts.

I see -- that explains the many times I've seen the .com seemingly available (and then blocked at the registry), while the .net and .cn are listed as 'Taken'.

Well done Olney for starting this forum!

(vtrader in dnf)