PDA

View Full Version : World will change ICANN's future, CEO says

drbiohealth
11th May 2009, 02:17 AM
Think how many businesses down in the Valley are all about local - you've got to be local, right? Well, we're going to be local in Shenzhen and we're going to be local in Hyderabad, not just local in Boise, Idaho.

Also, the present leadership of VeriSign has been very constructive.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/09/BU0117E65J.DTL

bwhhisc
11th May 2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks for posting that Raj. Actually, the government officials in India have been relatively quiet from what I have read on the subject of IDNs. I don't even think India jumped aboard the idn.idn "fasttrack", anyone know different? Article should spur some interesting comments from the Indian domainers...so I posted the link at Namepros to pick up their current feedback.

QUOTE ABOUT IDNs IN INDIA- "It's also a very high priority for India. The Indians are putting fiber into 600,000 villages across India. Around 150 million people in India speak English. The next billion don't. So the policy is to bring the Internet to the next 300 to 400 million people in India. To do that they have to have a keyboard that's in the character set of the village. There are 22 official languages and 11 scripts". END QUOTE

bwhhisc
11th May 2009, 03:42 AM
Here is a language map of India, a nice reference for IDNers.
This was compiled by MJ back in 2007 and pulled up from earlier post here on IDNForums.

http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/india/india-map-languages.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't show where the major cities are, so I'll give some info.

Mumbai
- metro population of 19.7 million
- located in Maharashtra (look halfway up the west coast)
- language -> Marathi Correction by Kartik786: HINDI is most popular language.

Delhi
- metro population of 20.8 million
- located in northwest India, between Haryana and Uttar Pradesh
- language -> Hindi

Kolkata
- metro population of 14.6 million
- located in West Bengal (look at northeast coast)
- language -> Bengali

Chennai
- metro population of 7 million
- located in Tamil Nadu (look at southeast coast)
- language -> Tamil

Ahmedabad
- metro population of 5 million
- located in Gujarat (look at northwest coast)
- language -> Gujarati

Hyderabad
- metro population of 6.8 million
- located in Andhra Pradesh (look at southeast coast)
- language -> Telugu

Bangalore
- population of 5.2 million
- located in Karnataka (look at southwest coast)
- language -> Kannada

Pune
- population of 4.4 million
- language -> Marathi

Kanpur
- population of 4.1 million
- located in Uttar Pradesh (north central)
- language -> Hindi

Surat
- population of 4.5 million
- located in Gujarat (look at northwest coast)
- language -> Gujarati

Out of the top 10 most populous cities in India, only two of them use Hindi as their language - Delhi and Kanpur.

One reference used was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_populous_metropolitan_areas_in_India

Another interesting statistic, India has the second highest english speaking population in the world, coming only after the USA:

List of countries by English-speaking population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

.[/QUOTE]

Drewbert
11th May 2009, 04:00 AM
What they really need to do is gather all the people required for the final approval and launch of IDN TLD's, lock them in a room, and let them out once they finished.

kartik786
11th May 2009, 06:39 PM
Mumbai
- metro population of 19.7 million
- language -> Marathi

WRONG

Mumbai is like the US .. people come from all over the country to realize their dreams.. the most popular language in mumbai is hindi.

drbiohealth
12th May 2009, 02:01 AM
Fast track or no fast track, Hindi IDNs will come because there is a need. IDNs present an awesome local branding opportunity. Also, .कॉम (IDN equivalent to .com) rhymes naturally in Hindi - same goes with other Indian language equivalents. Just type कॉम in Google and see how people are already getting familiar with this extension's 'Hindi version'. Verisign just needs to ignite this concept there.

Yes, Kartik has rightly pointed out that Hindi is widely used in Mumbai (homeplace of Bollywood) and also in other big cities of Maharashtra, such as Nagpur.

Thanks for posting that Raj. Actually, the government officials in India have been relatively quiet from what I have read on the subject of IDNs. I don't even think India jumped aboard the idn.idn "fasttrack", anyone know different? Article should spur some interesting comments from the Indian domainers...so I posted the link at Namepros to pick up their current feedback.

QUOTE ABOUT IDNs IN INDIA- "It's also a very high priority for India. The Indians are putting fiber into 600,000 villages across India. Around 150 million people in India speak English. The next billion don't. So the policy is to bring the Internet to the next 300 to 400 million people in India. To do that they have to have a keyboard that's in the character set of the village. There are 22 official languages and 11 scripts". END QUOTE