20th April 2006, 09:29 AM
酒店 means liquor shop, not "hotels"

sakillll
20th April 2006, 10:22 AM
don't believe translator machine.:)

Rubber Duck
20th April 2006, 11:31 AM
酒店 means liquor shop, not "hotels"

Translation is definitely on the money and I have made several I think sound investments off the back of this. Google Adwords and patterns of already invested domains by predominantly mainland Chinese show that this is a very term. Urls nearly all contain the hotel, so it is definitely correct. And don't forget Sakill is Chinese!

mulligan
20th April 2006, 12:34 PM
Well MDBG gives this as: hotel / wine shop / pub (public house)

Yahoo china results for "酒店" --> 10,00,000
First url on China Yahoo search for "酒店" is: www hotel.hc360 [dot] com
Fifth url is: www hotelsupplies[dot] com.cn

First url on Google China is: www ctrip [dot] com/supermarket/hotel/hotelSearch.asp

Google images seem to bear it out that it is hotel.

Google results for "酒店" --> 32,500,000

Edwin
20th April 2006, 12:59 PM
Ah, I see. When I search in Google I got results in Japanese - all relating to alcohol. After all, "酒" means wine, alcohol etc. And "店" means shop. So I don't see how it could mean "hotel", but perhaps in Chinese it somehow does...

idnceo
20th April 2006, 01:39 PM
as far as i remember when i was in beijing, hotel was 饭店. the one u have is a kanji also used in japan but in the meaning Edwin pointed. i stayed last year summer in a hotel in beijing, so i m 100% sure 饭店 is the most famous simplified chinese kanji for hotel. As a free commercial, if u guys visit beijing, use this "Beijing Hotel 北京饭店” . 2 minutes walk from the forbidden city and tiananmen square. not other hotel can beat that and prices were cheap compared to good hotels in other capitals.

http://www.chinabeijinghotel.com.cn/cn/main.asp

Rubber Duck
20th April 2006, 05:26 PM
Or this maybe 旅馆?

kenne
20th April 2006, 05:40 PM
hotels in Chinese can be:
酒店,旅馆,饭店,旅店,宾馆, etc.

In naming hotels, I suspect they consider the prefix in combination with post fix, so that it flows. Their relative popularity also depends on size of hotel and location in China.

gammascalper
20th April 2006, 05:53 PM
Guesthouse seems to be native to the mainland. Does it refer to locally run hotels?: 宾馆

Liquor store is always used in Hong Kong to refer to hotels, and very popular in China. Seems to be used by all the large hotels and hotel chains in China: 酒店

I'm not sure how popular 旅馆 is and when it is used.

Edit: just read your post kenne. I always thought there was a provincial feeling to 宾馆, but flow makes sense given the lack of an obvious pattern.