PDA

View Full Version : How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

miked
20th April 2006, 03:56 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the world of IDNs. Not wanting to do too much too soon, I'm trying to concentrate on the Chinese market first.

My question to you guys that have been in this game for a while is: how would you rank the various Chinese extensions? I'm thinking primarily:

.cn
.com.cn
org.cn
net cn

but of course any others that are out there (eg Hong Kong domains).

Is any one more or less recognised. Are there sperate constituencies in China that tend to prefer one or the other?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike.

kenne
20th April 2006, 04:02 PM
.cn > .com.cn >> the rest of brood

.com's relative superiority over .cn is probable, but far from a sure thing.
.net's relative inferiority vs .com is probable, but not a sure thing.

my 2 cents.

gammascalper
20th April 2006, 04:05 PM
.com = .cn > .com.cn >> rest

You now have 4c total.

touchring
20th April 2006, 04:16 PM
.cn > .com.cn >> the rest of brood

.com's relative superiority over .cn is probable, but far from a sure thing.
.net's relative inferiority vs .com is probable, but not a sure thing.

my 2 cents.

;)

idnceo
20th April 2006, 04:29 PM
i do .com and .cn sometimes i have grabbed some .net because after all i feel the kanji for .net is very nice in case of idn.idn

.tv another story. :rolleyes:

who knows Giant or Touchring can give a good feedback inside china about other extensions but im worried about only these ones .com .cn .net as i said. :)

touchring
20th April 2006, 04:41 PM
i do .com and .cn sometimes i have grabbed some .net because after all i feel the kanji for .net is very nice in case of idn.idn

.tv another story. :rolleyes:

who knows Giant or Touchring can give a good feedback inside china about other extensions but im worried about only these ones .com .cn .net as i said. :)

I only got 2 .cn, but i feel that with the .中国 extension, it is on solid ground.

I predict that it will exceed .com in 5-8 years time. The reason being up till now (with the option of .公司 removed), i can't think of another idn.idn that will beat .中国.

If you are investing for the long term, i would recommend you to register some .cn and .co to spread out your risks. I'm not selling any .cn and .co, so this is an impartial message. Good luck!

idnceo
20th April 2006, 06:05 PM
I only got 2 .cn, but i feel that with the .中国 extension, it is on solid ground.

I predict that it will exceed .com in 5-8 years time. The reason being up till now (with the option of .公司 removed), i can't think of another idn.idn that will beat .中国.

If you are investing for the long term, i would recommend you to register some .cn and .co to spread out your risks. I'm not selling any .cn and .co, so this is an impartial message. Good luck!

you got only 2 .cn? cmon touchring you were also my other patriotic .cn supporter :p well i got a lot of more than that, although truly my registrations in .cn and other expensive extensions cost me several times each .com

Anyway u do domaining for type-in, .com is the safe haven. but i wonder, dont u think when there will be massive publicity in tv, newspapers, etc in the future for IDN.IDN the type-in will also be affected? 中国.中国 or 中国. 公司 -or whatever extension to be used for .com- seems to me a different story for type-in. 中国.com the extension is even annoying to type, but as u will see the publicity in 中国.中国 looks more natural and then less type-in and more extension typing. what do u think?

touchring
20th April 2006, 06:19 PM
you got only 2 .cn? cmon touchring you were also my other patriotic .cn supporter :p well i got a lot of more than that, although truly my registrations in .cn and other expensive extensions cost me several times each .com

Anyway u do domaining for type-in, .com is the safe haven. but i wonder, dont u think when there will be massive publicity in tv, newspapers, etc in the future for IDN.IDN the type-in will also be affected? 中国.中国 or 中国. 公司 -or whatever extension to be used for .com- seems to me a different story for type-in. 中国.com the extension is even annoying to type, but as u will see the publicity in 中国.中国 looks more natural and then less type-in and more extension typing. what do u think?

Let's put it this way, in the long term, idn.idn is going to be very important. For now, how many people know of idns?? I suspect most of the type-in, idn.com gets now is really unintentional or accidental.

I've got another 14 .公司 which i registered first week of March. I've spent an entire week digging through top terms and managed only that many. There was one term, 整形.公司, which i lost by only 5 minutes! .公司 is like .会社, not many names can go along with that extension.

miked
27th April 2006, 09:36 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry for the cut and run: thanks for your advice.

You've all pretty much confirmed my suspicions, but it's good to have what I thought agreed with by people with much more experience in this area.

Now comes the long process of researching the right domains... :rolleyes:

Mike.

burnsinternet
3rd May 2006, 11:07 PM
I found a two character word with:

35,0000 TW Ovt,
20,000 HK Ovt,
42 JP Ovt
487 US Ovt
2,900,000 Google hits with ads
The leading sites on Google search are extension .tw and .com

The .cn, .cc, and .tv are the only extensions available. I bought the .net long ago. Does this seem a good candidate for my first .cn? Is there a rule of thumb for .cn and Taiwan?