PDA

View Full Version : IDN Sales record- Москва.com sells for $216,000

bwhhisc
6th June 2009, 11:59 PM
Москва.com (Moscow.com in Russian Cyrillic) first changed hands during the 2nd week of April 2007. When the current Korean owner parted with it for USD 16,000. It was reported here via DNJ. Sixteen months later on 1st August 2008, it would be changing hands again, but this time the ticket price would be USD $216,000.
Disclaimer: I am neither buyer not seller, my involvement in this deal was simply as broker. But I would like to thank both parties for allowing this to be disclosed.

So what makes a domain worth $216,000?
You can Google Moscow yourself, but here’s a few things you might not know:
-Moscow is the most expensive city in the world for the past 3 years
-10 million Moscovites call it home
-Москва will be a government reserved domain in the new Russian ccTLD, and it will almost certainly live out it’s days as
being a non-commercial government controlled, information only site.

Oh and just in case any Doubting Thomas’s were thinking Russian surfers search in English “Moscow” instead of “Москва”; check out the monthly stats from Wordstat:
Moscow 195,082
Москва 14,942,950

http://www.idndemystified.com/

Wot
7th June 2009, 12:33 AM
Great to hear it confirmed.

Trust you spent your brokerage fee unwisely. :rolleyes:

Rubber Duck
7th June 2009, 12:42 AM
Yep, I am beginning to think Berryhill knows more about this game than I do!

markits
7th June 2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks GM.

To answer a few questions... the purchase was for 60% of the domain. So $150,000 / 60% = $250,000

...so yes, we got a steal IMHO.

You should also know that in the world of mergers & acquisition and venture funding that often the VC gets half the company just for their role in financing the project. We consider the real cost of this acquisition to be the $150k plus the development costs. The 'value' on our books is closer to $600k even though we have not spent anywhere near that much yet.

This indicates that the JP gambling.com is still the reported top idn deal.
If I could offer one piece of advice to the many of you holding IDNs... if you want to do one thing to help yourself AND the community as a whole: Develop your site. Do something/anything to propagate the name and 'brand'. Think of it as waterfront property 1000s of miles from civilization. Organic growth will eventually pull people in, but if you create the destination...

Just my 2 cents. GL to all.

Brian

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/18889-why-dont-you-report-2.html

The above post indicates that the total acqusition of the JP gambling.com is closer to $600k. They ony bought 60% of the domain ownership with $150k. The company is investing $450k on the domain development, which is part of the acquisition agreement and the domain seller will have a (40% ?) share of the developed business.

The JP gambling.com is still the reported top idn deal.

Rubber Duck
7th June 2009, 10:01 AM
What amuses me is that in terms of domainers (including IDNers) having the head up the ass, these deals seem to have gone down at the moment of maximum insertion. Just think what will happen by the time the chattering classes at Namepros see the light, if that is possible.

bwhhisc
7th June 2009, 11:09 AM
Great to hear it confirmed. Trust you spent your brokerage fee unwisely. :rolleyes:

I am but the humble messenger :p, not the broker of the deal.... check the link above on post #1.

Asiaplay
7th June 2009, 04:49 PM
Congrats to buyer and seller :up:...
This is really very interesting news (and should be exciting to those of you holding top geos)!

Cheers - Asiaplay

ami006
8th August 2009, 06:55 AM
wow, this is great,

this is indeed a large amount for any domain