PDA

View Full Version : Safari 4 launch - interesting result

domainguru
13th June 2009, 03:28 AM
Safari 4 just out, hot sites page looks fantastic.

Anyway, tried just pasting a keyword, "เกมส์" obviously, straight into the address bar, and good golly, got taken straight to our site.

Has Safari always auto-appended .com to keywords input into the address bar, or is this a Safari 4 feature?

If this has always happened with Safari, shouldn't there be a boost in traffic in countries with big Safari penetration (presuming there are any), similar to the supposed Opera-effect in Russia?

phio
13th June 2009, 05:21 AM
Is your site game meemodel com ? that's where it leads to with FF 3.x.xx

domainguru
13th June 2009, 05:24 AM
Is your site game meemodel com ? that's where it leads to with FF 3.x.xx

No, firefox picks the first result in google ..... I knew that, I've used ff for 4 years now.

Have you been on a different planet for the last 2 years? I thought I had mentioned our site name *way* too many times :p

I'll give you a clue, its in the sig.

phio
13th June 2009, 06:06 AM
Yeah....I had the FF plugin that sent you to the correct site... I'm on a different pc now....so, I'm on a way different Planet. :o And of course I know your site.....that's why I was a little shocked...and mentioned it... :p

domainguru
13th June 2009, 07:10 AM
cool. thanks for understanding!

seamo
13th June 2009, 07:48 AM
Worked for me too.

Tried a couple of my random Japanese domains and it directed straight to the .com....nice :)

markits
13th June 2009, 08:15 AM
Yep. Just type in "idnforums" to the address bar and hit enter it reaches this site.

domainguru
13th June 2009, 08:29 AM
Anyone confirm this is new feature of Safari? If so, more traffic to all .com owners - ASCII or IDN :)

zfreud
13th June 2009, 04:19 PM
just tried on mac safari 4 public beta...and yes, it appends .com

also interesting the new layout of safari 4. clearly designed for touchscreen.

clipper
13th June 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm using Safari 3.2.1 and it sent me to http://www.เกมส์.com/. So, seems like it's been there and we just didn't notice. May have been in one of those critical updates.

Fka200
13th June 2009, 08:25 PM
It has been like this for as long as I can remember. Wasn't always just with Opera.

bwhhisc
13th June 2009, 08:30 PM
Safari 4....
เกมส์ (direct typed in to browser) went straight to เกมส์.com :clap:

Asiaplay
14th June 2009, 05:22 PM
Well one can be sure that will be over-ridden in versions for China - lol... wonder if Korea and Japan will do the same eventually :)

Cheers - Asiaplay

glow
15th June 2009, 09:37 AM
Safari 3.1.1 for Windows checked and working nice