PDA

View Full Version : EURID: Introduction of IDNS at eu-domains ath the end of 2009

secura
20th June 2009, 08:11 AM
EURID-Registrar Secura has announced today, that the company will accept the pre-registration of IDNs at .eu since today.

EURID has decided to introduce soon IDNs. The date of introducing the IDN-eu-domains shall be the end of 2009.

Internationalised Domain Names (IDNs) are domain names that may contain non-ASCII characters. An example for an special character is e.g. è. These special characters include letters with accents and characters in non-Latin languages such as Greek, for example.

The public policy rules for eu-domains states, "The Registry shall perform the registration of domain names in all the alphabetic characters of the official languages when adequate international standards become available."

The implementation of IDNs at eu-domains will support all characters of all the 23 official EU languages.

A sunrise phase in order to protect the holders of trade marks is planned.

The sunrise will be structured through several phases depending on the kind of right claimed by the applicant. During each phase, an applicant can apply for a domain name through a EURid accredited registrar like Secura (domainregistry.de/eu-domain.html). At this stage, there is no first-come-first-served rush and the registrar can take appropriate time for entering the application as long as it is entered into the system before the deadline of the corresponding phase.

Each application is going to be checked by a competent, external party which will evaluate the validity of the rights and the compliance with the rules. If only one application passes the evaluation for a domain name, the domain name is assigned to that applicant.

Should there be more than one application complying with the rules and with valid rights, those applicants will receive a code to be used at the time registrations will be open to anyone (landrush). At that time, the first applicant with a valid code that applies for that domain name and fulfills the criteria will have the domain name assigned.

During the sunrise, there will also be the possibility to correct minor errors.

Hans-Peter Oswald

http://www.domainregistry.de/eu-domain.html

domainguru
20th June 2009, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't trust a lot they say:

"The registration of eu-domains is the biggest event in domain business since the introduction of com-domains."

?

alexd
20th June 2009, 10:40 AM
As I don't think I have had enough coffee today, does the following ...

"The implementation of IDNs at eu-domains will support all characters of all the 23 official EU languages."

... mean that we will soon be able to register IDN.eu ???

Alex

domainguru
20th June 2009, 11:37 AM
Would appear so. But this release appears to be from a german reseller of .eu domains, not EurID.

I've not really followed .eu - surely limited IDN potential? (famous last words...)

blackops
20th June 2009, 02:30 PM
EURID has decided to introduce soon IDNs. The date of introducing the IDN-eu-domains shall be the end of 2009.

Hmm, sounds a bit fishy... Why is there no mention of this on the Eurid website?.. and why is no one else reporting on this?

domainguru
20th June 2009, 03:49 PM
Hmm, sounds a bit fishy... Why is there no mention of this on the Eurid website?.. and why is no one else reporting on this?

Sounds like an infamous "pre-sell" i.e. bs.....

blackops
20th June 2009, 04:33 PM
Sounds like an infamous "pre-sell" i.e. bs.....

Yes DG, a poorly thought out "pre sell" though as the signs are pointing toward them making up names and dates out of thin air!... not a great indicator of credibility then if this is the case..

Secura, are you there? Would you like to comment further on this thread, so we can put this 'to bed' either way?

rofsjan
30th October 2009, 04:47 PM
Why is there no mention of this on the Eurid website?.. and why is no one else reporting on this?

This is mentioned on the Eurid site either.

Global information: http://www.eurid.eu/en/eu-domain-names/idns-eu
Starting 10 December 2009, companies and private persons based in the European Union will be able to register .eu Internationalised Domain Names (IDNs).

Supported charactes: http://www.eurid.eu/en/eu-domain-names/idns-eu/supported-characters
Hmm... I miss "ß" there.
Cyrillic and Greek characters are supported.

IDN technical limitations: http://www.eurid.eu/en/eu-domain-names/idns-eu/idn-technical-limitations

Wot
31st October 2009, 12:18 AM
Been coming for sometime & Dec is the launch.

I was possibly interested in some 1 or 2 character names but they are not available,maybe going to ry a .de auction, other than that I won't be bothering.