PDA

View Full Version : IDN.mobi soon

glow
22nd June 2009, 01:53 AM
IDN.mobi agreement signed in China! To go LIVE soon (http://okok.com/idnmobi-now-live-in-china/)

thoughts?

sbe18
22nd June 2009, 02:05 AM
I think it will fare very poorly...

but I do think after the cctld /root is finished and the
idn dot idn is finished for Verisign's variants for dot com and dot net.....

I do think that China Mobile might go with its own IDN gtld for mobile .....

this alone would crush dot mobi usage in ASCII or IDN in China in my opinion...

My thought on this if ....Vodafone/ Orange/ ATT go with dot company acronym....other largle telecom carriers might follow....

.mobi / .pro / .travel / .museum / .aero

let alone the failure in general for dot us

I think that some of dot GEO's are likely to work better for mobile in cities...

dot NYC is going to get a lot of City govt marketing support....
so that will be a mobile oriented content gtld from the start...

glow
22nd June 2009, 02:31 AM
I think the main factor is supporting of government and we know that Chinese government has influence on local internet

Drewbert
22nd June 2009, 04:37 AM
.mobi in ascii sucks pretty much because who the hell used that expression?

"I'll call you on my mobi"

WTF?

idn.idn could well work for .mobi in certain asian locations, if they can convince ICANN to give them the rights to "cellphone" in chinese, japanese and korean.

I'm guessing other interested parties will be screaming "but that doesn't mean mobi!" when the land-grab occurs.

thefabfive
22nd June 2009, 06:13 AM
Whatever raises IDN awareness can't be that bad. As an investment though ... :no:

domainguru
22nd June 2009, 06:19 AM
Whatever raises IDN awareness can't be that bad. As an investment though ... :no:

Yeah, shows IDN is going mainstream. But like most mainstream stuff, I just get the urge to run in the opposite direction :rolleyes:

And .mobi sucks, whichever language you cloak it in. Imagine what RD is going to say when he hears this!!

IDNCowboy
22nd June 2009, 11:06 AM
Remember what they did with their Ascii launch? Nothing good will be available... The reserved list will be the size of encyclopedia britanica. They will make money by auctioning them later..

domainguru
22nd June 2009, 12:12 PM
Remember what they did with their Ascii launch? Nothing good will be available... The reserved list will be the size of encyclopedia britanica. They will make money by auctioning them later..

Well I doubt they will make much money in many languages ..... .mobi isn't excatly flavor of the day in any extension.

Rubber Duck
22nd June 2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, shows IDN is going mainstream. But like most mainstream stuff, I just get the urge to run in the opposite direction :rolleyes:

And .mobi sucks, whichever language you cloak it in. Imagine what RD is going to say when he hears this!!

Well this has been on the agenda for at least 12 months so not much a surprise. The only real surprise is that they ae moving slightly faster than SEDO in going mainstream with IDN.

I am trying to think who is going to get fired up about this. I cannot even imagine the "Register any English World in whatever ccTLD" Mob from Namepros getting excited about this.

I guess their best hope is that by some quirk it transliterates as slang for Oral Sex or something?

Wot
22nd June 2009, 11:22 PM
I guess their best hope is that by some quirk it transliterates as slang for Oral Sex or something?

Ah- mobile oral sex- now that conjures up visions of multiple orgasm induced accidents on the M1 :p