PDA

View Full Version : Cerf repeats same song on IDN.

sarcle
21st April 2006, 05:58 PM
International Domain Names – First, Cerf noted that IDNs are important for the large portion of the world that doesn’t use roman characters. But he noted that there are some technical and security challenges to overcome. IDNs present an opportunity for phishing attacks that lead unsuspecting users to a domain name that appears to be a reputable company’s site, but the domain name actually includes characters improperly displayed by the user’s browser. Cerf discussed problems with browser plug-ins that enable IDNs. These can give the impression of TLDs that don’t exist, creating confusion. He also pointed out that browsing the web isn’t the only thing to consider when planning for IDNs. Software applications and e-mail systems need to be compatible.

http://domainnamewire.com/2006/04/20/vint-cerf-dazzles-crowd-at-domain-roundtable/

Can you say? It's the exact same speech he's given for last few years.

Where's our resident roundtablers? How did the idn talks go there?

thefabfive
21st April 2006, 06:55 PM
And the internet can be used for crime and theft so maybe we should stop using the internet.

sarcle
21st April 2006, 06:59 PM
And the internet can be used for crime and theft so maybe we should stop using the internet.

Yes, maybe we should stop all domains in general.

I have never seen an Ascii typo before.

gammascalper
21st April 2006, 07:37 PM
Cerf went for the party and to be wined and dined -- and worshipped.

His speech was so... 2005.

I need a breath of fresh air!

Giant
21st April 2006, 07:42 PM
I think we should be compassionate towards ICANN, because they didn't have the power to do what they wanted. The US government was behind them pushing them to the right, and all the other powers were in front of them pushing them to the left, Europe, China, Latin America, Africa.... The problem to ICANN is not that who should ICANN listen to, but rather who dare ICANN NOT to listen to. :-)