PDA

View Full Version : How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 04:18 PM
I developed a Greek site on the unaccented domain.

The accented domain is currently parked. How should I redirect it to the site without incurring an SEO penalty?

phio
4th August 2009, 04:22 PM
I developed a Greek site on the unaccented domain.

The accented domain is currently parked. How should I redirect it to the site without incurring an SEO penalty?

You could take the accented domain and create a Noomle site. Use the G metatag and submit your sitemap. This will show G it is being developed.

I have never done this but G likes Noomle sites.

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 04:26 PM
You could take the accented domain and create a Noomle site. Use the G metatag and submit your sitemap. This will show G it is being developed.

I have never done this but G likes Noomle sites.

Thanks phio. That's one way, but I want to give the impression that the accented domain and unaccented domain really are the same thing and end up at the same site.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-advice-discussing-302-redirects/

I think a 302 is alright, but I'm not sure :confused:

yanni
4th August 2009, 05:10 PM
I believe 302 as well, but maybe wait for the seo gurus here.

OTOH I've been 301 redirecting many domains to certain sites and I don't see any problems.

alexd
4th August 2009, 05:15 PM
I think a 302 is alright, but I'm not sure :confused:

The 302 sounds about right. For one of my sites ( which I recently changed from .html to .php files ) I used a 301 redirect ( a permanent redirect, as the html files no longer exist ). The 302 is a temporary redirect. I am not 100% sure about any SEO penalties regarding using a 302 instead of a 301.

However, if you plan to keep both domains, then I think a 301 would be fine to use. All you would need to do is to create a .htaccess file and upload it to the root folder of the domain.

Alex

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 05:19 PM
I believe 302 as well, but maybe wait for the seo gurus here.

OTOH I've been 301 redirecting many domains to certain sites and I don't see any problems.

Cool, thanks yanni. I'll try a 302 unless otherwise advised :)
The 302 sounds about right. For one of my sites ( which I recently changed from .html to .php files ) I used a 301 redirect ( a permanent redirect, as the html files no longer exist ). The 302 is a temporary redirect. I am not 100% sure about any SEO penalties regarding using a 302 instead of a 301.

However, if you plan to keep both domains, then I think a 301 would be fine to use. All you would need to do is to create a .htaccess file and upload it to the root folder of the domain.

302 it is then, ty.

Do I have to do it using htaccess? Can I do it from a registrar?

BTW, Greek translators have been THE most expensive to hire... this is gonna be my last project in this language, until PPC gets over the 0.01 hump!

yanni
4th August 2009, 05:24 PM
BTW, Greek translators have been THE most expensive to hire... this is gonna be my last project in this language, until PPC gets over the 0.01 hump!

And why the frick did you pay for translation?
Next time talk to me.

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 05:35 PM
And why the frick did you pay for translation?
Next time talk to me.

I was going to, but it was a few thousand words! I will next time. Thanks. :yes:

I'm fast becoming elance's best customer lol.

Now that I have a couple of Greek idners' attention, here it is: ωροσκοπιο (http://xn--uxabobbedr5c.com/).com

What do ya think?

phio
4th August 2009, 05:43 PM
If anyone knows of a horoscope feed in greek let me know, been looking for one, and that would be great for horoscope sites.

Gamma, where are the ads?

alexd
4th August 2009, 05:44 PM
Looks fine to me - though Yanni will need to let you know 100% how the translations come out.

For the site itself, are you going to change the content at all, such as display daily/weekly horoscopes ??

I am taking a guess that the site itself is not the finished version but one you are working on ?? If you need, I can have a look through my files and send some relevant templates your way if you are interested. ( not sure if I have any specific for horoscopes, but I will see what I can find ).

Also, keep me in mind for translations as well if you need. We work on websites all day long, everyday, and my wife provides me with the Greek translations of all the pages we make on our sites, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem for us to help you out with some future translations ( or even one-off words for headings, title tags, etc )

Alex

alexd
4th August 2009, 05:46 PM
If anyone knows of a horoscope feed in greek let me know, been looking for one, and that would be great for horoscope sites.

Is this any good ??

http://horoscope.i-live.gr/feed/rss/

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 05:55 PM

No ads... yet. I want to see it ranking well first.

I see oroskopio sites with native Greek banner ads which look quite nice, but I don't know if they're affiliates or not.

The feed Alex gave below looks good. I ended up doing a 3000 word translation, with the idea that if this thing works out, I'll create more custom content.

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 05:58 PM
I am taking a guess that the site itself is not the finished version but one you are working on ?? If you need, I can have a look through my files and send some relevant templates your way if you are interested. ( not sure if I have any specific for horoscopes, but I will see what I can find ).

Also, keep me in mind for translations as well if you need. We work on websites all day long, everyday, and my wife provides me with the Greek translations of all the pages we make on our sites, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem for us to help you out with some future translations ( or even one-off words for headings, title tags, etc )

Alex

Erm, it kind of is the finished version. I'm a minimalist :)

But I'll gladly look at any relevant templates you find. Very kind of ya.

Ah -- vertically integrated at home. How convenient! Cool, thanks. I will ping you guys before sending out for more translations.

alexd
4th August 2009, 06:02 PM
Erm, it kind of is the finished version. I'm a minimalist :)

But I'll gladly look at any relevant templates you find. Very kind of ya.

Ah -- vertically integrated at home. How convenient! Cool, thanks. I will ping you guys before sending out for more translations.

Just a quick suggestion - put a link back to the main page from the various horoscope pages. Interlinking between the pages should help you a little more with regards to SEO. ( At the moment, if Google arrive on your horoscope page for Taurus, there are no internal/external links to follow. )

Tommorow when I am back at the office, I will knock up a small banner/text link for your site and place it on a couple of my Greek IDNs, just to start building the backlinks towards your site.

Alex

yanni
4th August 2009, 06:13 PM
Looks fine to me - though Yanni will need to let you know 100% how the translations come out.

Alex

From the few I checked, it seems they did a very good job with translating.
Is this static content?

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 06:14 PM
Just a quick suggestion - put a link back to the main page from the various horoscope pages. Interlinking between the pages should help you a little more with regards to SEO. ( At the moment, if Google arrive on your horoscope page for Taurus, there are no internal/external links to follow. )

Tommorow when I am back at the office, I will knock up a small banner/text link for your site and place it on a couple of my Greek IDNs, just to start building the backlinks towards your site.

Alex

Link back to home done :)

Cool, let me know how I can link back to you.

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 06:17 PM
From the few I checked, it seems they did a very good job with translating.
Is this static content?

Phew. Good to hear. No it is not static. It's in a db and randomly pulled up with a cookie set for a day so that users usually don't see the same content on a page refresh.

yanni
4th August 2009, 06:22 PM
Nice.

I've been sitting on this (http://ζωδια.gr/) for sometime now [over a year]. Too busy to finish it.

I'll hook you up with a link as well.

phio
4th August 2009, 06:35 PM
I'll also link my ζωδια . net once it's done. I'm setting it up as a noomle site and getting it off of PR. If Noomle ever ads the greek language we're in. And thanks for the RSS feed ALEX! At some point I would like to develop it further. I'll need some translation help also, I did meet a Greek woman from Crete who said she may help out also. Hope so.

yanni
4th August 2009, 07:11 PM
Phio, if you need help translating, pm me with the words/text.

Gamma your link was added.

gammascalper
4th August 2009, 10:36 PM
Cool, thanks. I'll link back to you guys asap, and try to do it in a phrase or sentense. That looks less spammy allegedly.

phio
5th August 2009, 05:19 AM
Gamma and Yanni, links added. Still have to do the translation work....

Alex: the feed works great! http://www.xn--mxaffn2f.net/exm/_%CF%83%CE%B7%CE%BC%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%BD%CE%AE_%CE%A0%CF%81%CF%8C%CE%B3%CE%BD%CF%89%CF%83%CE%B7_/ :)

phio
10th August 2009, 03:10 PM
Most of translation done. Thanks Yanni for all your help. Much appreciated :)

For some reason it's number one on Bing. http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=IEFM1&q=%CE%B6%CF%89%CE%B4%CE%B9%CE%B1