PDA

View Full Version : Please rate this acquisition: наличными [dot] com (cash[dot]com in Russian)

redelephant
9th August 2009, 01:31 AM
Hello,

I just picked up this domain: наличными [dot] com . I was wondering if the Russian domainers here can tell me whether or not this was a good acquisition.

Thanks,

Red

RussianDomainer
9th August 2009, 02:03 AM
I'm sorry to say - but to me this name doesn't worth even the regfee.

this is not a standalone word - you can't use this name for any website/project and I doubt it'll get any significant traffic, if at all.

the correct form of the word "cash" in Russian is "наличные", although new informal versions of the word - "кеш" and "кэш" - become more and more popular.

redelephant
9th August 2009, 02:13 AM
Russian,

Thanks for your honest help. I'm a little sad right now. :( So how do i prevent this sort of stuff from happening the next time? I was really excited in the name and thought it was a good buy. Now i'm a little disheartened.

Red

bwhhisc
9th August 2009, 02:52 AM
Russian, Thanks for your honest help. I'm a little sad right now. :( So how do i prevent this sort of stuff from happening the next time? I was really excited in the name and thought it was a good buy. Now i'm a little disheartened. Red

For Russian domains....

1) Best thing to see if a stand alone work for non Russian speakers (besides asking a native speaker) is to put your word in "quotes" like this "наличными", then put into google search and look at web pages and photos and see is it is used a LOT as a stand alone word.

2) Second test is to take the English word, in your case CASH and put it in google.com/translate and rustran.com and translate English to Russian and see if you have an EXACT match.

3) Network at the various forums so you can always ask a native speaker for opinion. If it is a fresh reg, best to use dynadot where you can return (most) for only a $2 cost if the translation is wrong.

Most here have made similar mistakes dozens of times, but you will quickly pick up the tricks. Nothing beats asking a person that knows the language well, and most here are very generous to assist. Just don't publically post any names you have not registered, quite a number of sharks swim beneath the surface here at IDNF.

redelephant
9th August 2009, 04:02 AM
@bwhhisc:

The problem is that I actually did all 3 of those steps:

Step 1) I placed "наличными" into google and i saw many results returned. I also looked at the images and they were images of cash... and there were many images.

Step 2) I used google translate and if you type in "наличными" you will see that it shows cash. And if you type in cash it will show "наличными".

Step 3) I asked an associated what "наличными" meant and he said it meant cash. Although this person is not a domainer.

So am I missing any other steps here? It seems like the best thing to do is ask a native language domainer for their opinion. But how to get around them registering it for themselves when you ask about it?

Red

mulligan
9th August 2009, 04:47 AM
You will find than the majority of members here will help you with regards to translation / language (And won't take the domain in question)

If you find this to be otherwise then feel free to post about it.

Don't abuse it though .. people don't want to go through long lists of potential domains

alexd
9th August 2009, 08:12 AM
For Russian IDNs, its also worth using the Yandex Wordstat tool.

http://wordstat.yandex.ru/

Don't be too dishearted - I have registered my share of crap IDNs over the years - its all a learning process when you don't know the languages as well as a native speaker.

Alex

alpha
9th August 2009, 10:19 AM
For Russian IDNs, its also worth using the Yandex Wordstat tool

yes good advice, but use this only once you have confirmed the term is ok in the first place. The OP's term for example has a healthy Wordstat result.

I also think a dose of realism is required too, "cash" is a good term, ask yourself what we've all been doing the last few years if we collectively missed it.

bwhhisc
9th August 2009, 11:30 AM
@bwhhisc: The problem is that I actually did all 3 of those steps: Step 1) I placed "наличными" into google and i saw many results returned. I also looked at the images and they were images of cash... and there were many images.

Look again, other than a very few times it almost ALWAYS appears with another word. You need to find words that have LOTS of stand alone uses in text and also with accompanying pictures.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%BC%D0%B8%22&rlz=1R2GGLL_en&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

@Step 2) I used google translate and if you type in "наличными" you will see that it shows cash. And if you type in cash it will show "наличными".

Google is not always correct, that is why I said you have to double check against Rustran.com as well...your word does not appear as noun or verb at Rustran dictionary. See list below

http://rustran.com/odr.php4?q=1&word=cash&x=104&y=12

Translation: CASH
NOUN: НАЛИЧНЫЕ ДЕНЬГИ; НАЛИЧНЫЙ РАСЧЕТ; НАЛИЧНЫЕ; БОГАТСТВО; ДЕНЬГИ; ЗВОНКАЯ МОНЕТА; КАССА

VERB: ПОЛУЧАТЬ ДЕНЬГИ ПО ЧЕКУ; ПЛАТИТЬ ДЕНЬГИ ПО ЧЕКУ

Step 3) I asked an associate what "наличными" meant and he said it meant cash. Although this person is not a domainer. So am I missing any other steps here? It seems like the best thing to do is ask a native language domainer for their opinion. But how to get around them registering it for themselves when you ask about it?

Your "associate" obviously does not know Russian grammer, does not matter if they are a domainer in this case. Regarding asking a native speaker, you can make a post up that you have questions in x language and ask for help, then when someone responds communicate by PM.

yanni
9th August 2009, 12:22 PM
Another decent way to check if it's a stand alone term; when you do your Google search, try the insights tool.

If the term shows up by itself in the related searches, chances are it can stand alone.
This is not 100 percent foolproof, but, used with all other tools and methods mentioned above, you can lower the chances of regging a dud.

RussianDomainer
9th August 2009, 04:30 PM
НаличныеДеньги.com is available, just recently was dropped. It stands for "Cash Money", contains the keyword "cash" (наличные) - and occasionally is used instead of "cash", especially in formal written language

it's a gift to redelephant :)

RussianDomainer
9th August 2009, 04:36 PM
redelephant, just to make sure you get it (and no one else does) - in case you want this domain name - I just registered it and can push it to your DynaDot.com account - just let me know your username and email address there (by PM).

You don't have to pay for it anything over its regfee - if you decide to have the name. If you don't want the domain - I'll keep it :)

again it's

НаличныеДеньги.com - Cash Money

blastfromthepast
10th August 2009, 05:21 AM
Наличные is itself a rather formal word to diferentiate paper money from any other kinds of money. It is less generic than the English word cash.