PDA

View Full Version : Why no IDN

Wot
14th August 2009, 10:25 AM
I have some ascii names in Sedo's upcoming "Chinese" promotion and I asked why IDN are not being considered, here is the reply.

"The reason why we could not consider the IDN domain is, our system is not compatible with Chinese IDN domains. Because German language (ä,ö,ü,ß) use the same Uni-code as Chinese language. If we turn to show Chinese IDN correctly, German IDN will be showed mistakenly. When we just have site in English, probably we will show Chinese correctly. But as Sedo is actually a German company, we could not afford not to use German language.

Maybe it is quite difficult to understand. But one thing is true, we could not sell any Chinese IDN domains at the moment."

The gent who replied is very pleasant and I believe Chinese and the English is somewhat garbled, but nevertheless a quite sad answer!

Domainace
14th August 2009, 10:49 AM
Try saying what he did 10 times quickly....:D

I think Sedo will find a work around when the rest of the world catches on, though.

blackops
14th August 2009, 11:21 AM
sorry wrong thread!

Sedo
14th August 2009, 03:38 PM
Hi Wot,

The main reason why your IDN-Chinese domains could not be accepted for the Chinese promotion is because we are currently unable to sell these type of IDN domain names through our marketplace in general.

Chinese-IDN domains cannot be listed for sale at this time because it is currently not possible for us to perform a technical transfer of these IDN domains.

Please be aware that you are still able to gain revenue by parking these domains at Sedo.

We hope to change this in the future so it will be possible to list for sale and transfer such domains. However, this would require a revamp of our entire marketplace which is a big project for us.

We will let you know when this will be possible in the future.

Kind Regards,

John Jacobsen

John.Jacobsen@Sedo.co.uk

Clotho
14th August 2009, 06:10 PM
While I am sure it is a big project for you the loss of credibility is hurting you at the same time. Why on earth would you have a Chinese Promotion if you couldn't support the language in question?

The resulting perception is one of incompetence.

When ICANN appears to make more sense and moves at a faster pace than your own organization you know you really have some urgent issues to deal with.

I hope you manage to resolve this soon. Best of luck with your efforts.

bwhhisc
14th August 2009, 06:33 PM
Chinese-IDN domains cannot be listed for sale at this time because it is currently not possible for us to perform a technical transfer of these IDN domains.
John.Jacobsen@Sedo.co.uk

John,
I am confused on what is so hard about transferring IDNs. Most of us have accounts at SEDO with IDN domains, and no problem for us to transfer account to account at Sedo. Also quite simple to get auth code and move to other registrars.

Drewbert
14th August 2009, 06:48 PM
Incompetence all around at SEDO. Surprise!

The first guy is all confused, claiming something about German and Chinese being the same Unicode, when he really means that their database (which works for German now) is NOT in Unicode, and they don't want to convert to Unicode because their too lazy or stupid to convert their data and page generation engines at the same time.

The 2nd guy, claiming they can't transfer IDN names is just an absolute fucking moron. Punycode encoded IDN names are exactly the same as ASCII names.

Maybe he thinks the language tag is required for a transfer? Either way, SEDO seems to go out of it's way to employ morons. Which is strange, because the German education system is supposed to be pretty good.

Rubber Duck
14th August 2009, 07:58 PM
John,
I am confused on what is so hard about transferring IDNs. Most of us have accounts at SEDO with IDN domains, and no problem for us to transfer account to account at Sedo. Also quite simple to get auth code and move to other registrars.

This has to be total cobblers. IDNs are really only ASCII domains. You transfer the domain as the Punycode version. We push it to you as per any other bloody ASCII domain and you then push to the buyer as per any other ASCII domain.

When this thing first came up I gave Domainsite the script to insert into the registration site and they had the bloody thing ticking like clockwork in about 48 hrs. It might work out better if you actually employed some Coders on the team.

Wot
15th August 2009, 12:54 AM
Hi Wot,

The main reason why your IDN-Chinese domains could not be accepted for the Chinese promotion is because we are currently unable to sell these type of IDN domain names through our marketplace in general.

Please be aware that you are still able to gain revenue by parking these domains at Sedo.

We hope to change this in the future so it will be possible to list for sale and transfer such domains. However, this would require a revamp of our entire marketplace which is a big project for us.

We will let you know when this will be possible in the future.

Kind Regards,

John Jacobsen

John.Jacobsen@Sedo.co.uk

Thank you for your reply but as you will determine from the replies from other members Sedo has done themselves no favours and unfortunately displayed a complete lack of knowledge and compounded the impression of general ineptness in relation to IDN as a whole, not just Chinese.

German being an exception perhaps. :rolleyes:

Rubber Duck
15th August 2009, 07:20 AM
Thank you for your reply but as you will determine from the replies from other members Sedo has done themselves no favours and unfortunately displayed a complete lack of knowledge and compounded the impression of general ineptness in relation to IDN as a whole, not just Chinese.

German being an exception perhaps. :rolleyes:

Yes, the Duck's assertions that these guys are complete idiots has been totally vindicated yet once more!

Drewbert
15th August 2009, 08:46 AM
Yes, the Duck's assertions that these guys are complete idiots has been totally vindicated yet once more!

Haven't you got a honeymoon or something you should be concentrating on?

alexd
15th August 2009, 10:35 AM
Haven't you got a honeymoon or something you should be concentrating on?

Yes, I was wondering about that as well.

RD - We all know the Sedo are a bunch of [add your own phrase here]. Log off the computer and enjoy the first few days of marriage without worrying about the complete ignorance of Sedo.

Rubber Duck
15th August 2009, 11:45 AM
Well, the problem is we are back in the UK and I can't get my hands on the bloody Mouse because she is busy looking at Honeymoons. Initial plans are being modified because of such considerations as weather, name changes and visa requirements, so it is very much looking like Tenerife.