PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok to do?

jose
24th August 2009, 04:26 PM
Imagine I am auctioning a .com domain, and the .biz, .info, .org, .tv are taken.

Is it ok for me to email the owners of those extensions and invite them to bid on the auction?

bwhhisc
24th August 2009, 04:52 PM
Absolutely, they might be your best prospects. :)

alexd
24th August 2009, 04:53 PM
Its definately worth doing, especially if you are auctioning the .com version of the domain.

Drewbert
24th August 2009, 06:31 PM
Yes.

emailing the owner of the .com when you're auctioning off the .cc = spam
emailing the owner of the .net when you're auctioning off the .com = potential bidder

sbe18
24th August 2009, 09:54 PM
Yes,

I would add that some cctld owners could be interested as well.

whois permitting...

As an IDN dot CN holder, I would welcome a chance for some of the
IDN dot com's I don't have...

Steve

Zak Muscovitch
24th August 2009, 11:45 PM
Although from a business perspective the right thing to do is to offer to sell the .com to the secondary tld holders, one must also be cautious to not be found to be "acting in bad faith" by offering to sell a domain name to a trademark owner. Although one would expect the .com owner to in most cases have superior and longer-standing rights, in some cases, a trademark owner may have resorted to the .net, for example, because the .com was taken, and then see this as an opportunity to use the UDRP to get the .com, on the basis of its trademark. For such a .net holder to succeed however, their trademark must have existed (either as a registered or common law trademark) PRIOR to the .com being registered by the auctioning party. This alone would not guarantee a win for the .net owner, but it would be one of the factors in a UDRP proceeding.

Drewbert
25th August 2009, 12:41 AM
Oh yeah.

We were assuming Jose was talking generic, because Jose wouldn't infringe anyone's rights.

:)

jose
25th August 2009, 01:50 AM
Thanks all and specially Zak for commenting.

Yes, I was talking generics and my worries were, spam of course, by also IDNF rules, as I was asking if it was fair for the other members who already bid on an auction to invite more people in.

I got this idea after I notice, on my last auctions that no one was interested on good terms.net, even at below reg fee price, when on the other hand, there were people ready to renew the same term on .biz, .info and alikes.

jose
27th August 2009, 12:20 AM
Is domainnamewire getting ideas here? :)

http://domainnamewire.com/2009/08/26/an-easy-way-to-find-end-users-to-buy-your-domain-names/

gammascalper
27th August 2009, 12:30 AM
Is domainnamewire getting ideas here? :)

http://domainnamewire.com/2009/08/26/an-easy-way-to-find-end-users-to-buy-your-domain-names/

Good one jose. :)