PDA

View Full Version : $x,xxx waiting for japanese geo domains with traffic and revenue

websjapan
3rd September 2009, 09:15 PM
please pm any single or packs of japanese geo domains with traffic and revenue, no matter how small.

thanks

alpha
3rd September 2009, 10:08 PM
please pm any single or packs of japanese geo domains with traffic and revenue, no matter how small.

thanks

I have a very nice collection of Japanese geos (none for sale though) - but my point is that the geo genre gets the smallest amount of traffic of all genres, just bear that in mind.

seamo
4th September 2009, 12:35 AM
PM sent

blastfromthepast
4th September 2009, 12:37 AM
I have a very nice collection of Japanese geos (none for sale though) - but my point is that the geo genre gets the smallest amount of traffic of all genres, just bear that in mind.

I have found that to be the case accross the board for all languages.

websjapan
4th September 2009, 12:00 PM
yes, from what i can tell geos are a bit weak but i was very impressed with sites like

www.helsinki.fi

seems that there is great opportunity to build strong portals for tourism which has lots of affiilate and adversiting opprtunities built in

jacksonm
4th September 2009, 12:09 PM
yes, from what i can tell geos are a bit weak but i was very impressed with sites like

www.helsinki.fi

seems that there is great opportunity to build strong portals for tourism which has lots of affiilate and adversiting opprtunities built in

By finnish law, names of cities are not allowed to be registered by anyone other than the city corporation itself. However, the city can license the usage of their own domain name (or perhaps even sell) it to a third party. As helsinki is the largest city in finland, as well as the capitol city, I would be willing to bet that this is a licensing deal.

There are only 2 exceptions in all of Finland where this has been done:

1. nokia.fi (nokia is a city, but nokia corporation has got the domain now)

2. helsinki.fi (registered to Helsinki University). I suspect that this deal came with many and tight restrictions about the quality of the site that had to be developed, etc. and that the city can take it back if the site content falls out of their interests.

bwhhisc
4th September 2009, 12:42 PM
By finnish law, names of cities are not allowed to be registered by anyone other than the city corporation itself. However, the city can license the usage of their own domain name (or perhaps even sell) it to a third party. As helsinki is the largest city in finland, as well as the capitol city, I would be willing to bet that this is a licensing deal.

There are only 2 exceptions in all of Finland where this has been done:

1. nokia.fi (nokia is a city, but nokia corporation has got the domain now)

2. helsinki.fi (registered to Helsinki University). I suspect that this deal came with many and tight restrictions about the quality of the site that had to be developed, etc. and that the city can take it back if the site content falls out of their interests.

What is the deal in Finland with .net?? I have run across a good number of developed local .net sites.

Found this breakdown...but I surmise that non Finnish domain "speculators" hold a lot of the .com

http://www.webhosting.info/registries/country_stats/FI

jacksonm
4th September 2009, 01:08 PM
What is the deal in Finland with .net?? I have run across a good number of developed local .net sites.

Found this breakdown...but I surmise that non Finnish domain "speculators" hold a lot of the .com

http://www.webhosting.info/registries/country_stats/FI

This is off topic now and should probably be spit into a new thread.

There is a finnish company in helsinki that owns 99% of the tier1 and tier2 finnish dot com and dot net, in both ascii and idn. They took the ascii stuff back in 96-97, and the idn stuff at launch day. Same company ransacked .fi early on, as well as idn.fi on launch. I suppose they are speculators, but they also run a decent sized consulting business (50+ employees).

As far as .net goes, my finnish .coms get way more type-in traffic than .net does. Finns will go to any extent not to pay above reg-fee for domains, thus the recent spike in popularity of .eu in finland. When there are 200 extensions available, people will buy those instead of making offers for .com, which is why the above company has held the same several thousand domains for 9-13 years now (and they don't even park them). But if you like to earn money parking, then .com or .fi is the only way to go. You need an incredibly strong .net to get type-in traffic, even then it will be very light. By and large, though, type-in on any finnish language domain will be relatively light. I own RentalApartments.fi (in finnish), which is the cultural equivalent of the single word "apartments".fi in english, and it only gets about 20 type-ins per day. I will develop it soon, though it does earn a damned good profit while being parked.

websjapan
4th September 2009, 09:47 PM
i recently did a five country euro tour and by and large most domains in those countries that were visible (ie businesses on the street or advertising etc) used their .cc - i rarely saw a .com, and 0 idn

however here in japan it seems people just dont get it! i rarely see a .jp, but there are a hodge podge of domains including .com .net .info, .biz - but again 0 idn

seems in japan they dont have many problems with using whatever is available or sounds cool - perhaps because its all greek to them anyways!

one .idn is popular i expect to see all that change, but looks like everyone is in for a long haul in terms of consumer awareness and use for that

one good thing about this recession seems to be a lack of appetite for holding large portfolios as the drop lists seem to be full of fairly decent stuff these days (compared to couple years ago)

alpha
4th September 2009, 10:05 PM
..however here in japan it seems people just dont get it!

at the risk of sounding arrogant, here's my blunt take on it.

Domains might as well not exist today in Japan. As you say they'll happily use Romaji, English, numerals, some cool phrase etc; and in any extension, com, net, biz etc..

.. but this makes sense, you don't need your audience to remember your domain, because largely you get them there by advertising a Japanese phrase being searched in Yahoo.

all it will take is for 1 large advertising company to break the cycle and go for a play on memorability and recall using a domain that is memorable (aka IDN) and the landscape could change quickly.

but until the technical issues are all resolved around browsers and email, then no advertisers are going to make a big play.

dot IDN important? maybe, maybe not. There always seems to be mixed opinions about this from native Japanese guys.

I think d-day will be once a Japanese .IDN is in the root, and an awareness campaign has started - the biggest road block today is a total lack of consumer awareness.

If things don't start happening quickly once the above has happened, then yes I agree this could be a very long wait

jacksonm
5th September 2009, 10:03 AM
i recently did a five country euro tour and by and large most domains in those countries that were visible (ie businesses on the street or advertising etc) used their .cc - i rarely saw a .com, and 0 idn

I've also seen plenty of IDNs on the street here in finland, and when I checked to see if the IDN was actually registered it was free in about 50% of the cases. People spell the domain properly with umlauts when they advertise it, and they expect visitors to know that they should type in without umlauts because everybody knows that domains with umlauts don't even exist.

xcyte
8th September 2009, 08:00 AM
PM sent