PDA

View Full Version : IDN Usage

outcell
25th April 2006, 09:12 PM
Hello,

Well since IDNs cannot be used as emails (*@idn.com). Can they be used are forums? i mean can you access the forum with the IDName? Or are IDNs only avaiable for webpages only?

Thanks and i hope my questions and concerns are clear..

Giant
25th April 2006, 09:22 PM
Hello,

Well since IDNs cannot be used as emails (*@idn.com)...
</p>Who said that? I have been using IDN email for more than 2 years now.

Drewbert
25th April 2006, 10:15 PM
Forums ARE web pages, AFAIK.

They can be used by ANY Internet application as long as the CLIENT converts the IDN into punycode before it gets to the name resolution stage, and the receiving client recognises punycode and converts it back to IDN for the recipient's eyeballs.

Rubber Duck
25th April 2006, 10:32 PM

They can be used by ANY Internet application as long as the CLIENT converts the IDN into punycode before it gets to the name resolution stage, and the receiving client recognises punycode and converts it back to IDN for the recipient's eyeballs.

Thanks Drewbert! There must have been more utter bollucks talked on this subject than any other subject in human history. It is nice to that there are others out there putting people straight, mind you if you want a real chalenge you could always try Stuff at DNF. There is thick and bloody thick and then there is Stuff!

outcell
25th April 2006, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the clarifications.. So i can just install a forum like i do to the ordinary ccTLD domains? Just to be sure lol

and what is AFAIK?

OldIDNer
25th April 2006, 10:45 PM
well, as far as I know (AFAIK), it means....

Rubber Duck
25th April 2006, 10:47 PM
well, as far as I know, it means....

Or more accurately, I have read this but I have lost the reference!

mulligan
25th April 2006, 11:22 PM
....... mind you if you want a real chalenge you could always try Stuff at DNF. There is thick and bloody thick and then there is Stuff!
Thats the best laugh Ive had for a while!! :)

blastfromthepast
25th April 2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the clarifications.. So i can just install a forum like i do to the ordinary ccTLD domains? Just to be sure lol

You can just install a forum like you do with ordinary gTLD, ccTLD, and other domains.

outcell
26th April 2006, 12:15 AM
You can just install a forum like you do with ordinary gTLD, ccTLD, and other domains.

Thanks... That was a relief and a straight answer is always appreciated :)

blastfromthepast
26th April 2006, 01:32 AM
The short answer is It Just Works.

Try it, if you have any problems, post.

Here's a working example of a databse driven, IDN website: http://даль.com/

outcell
26th April 2006, 03:34 PM
The short answer is It Just Works.

Try it, if you have any problems, post.

Here's a working example of a databse driven, IDN website: http://даль.com/