PDA

View Full Version : Domain expired in March but still cannot register it?

gammascalper
27th December 2005, 06:18 AM
I'd like to register an IDN which seems to have expired, but apparently hasn't. The Whois record displays the expiry information as:

Created on..............: Fri, Nov 10, 2000
Expires on..............: Thu, Mar 10, 2005
Record last updated on..: Fri, Nov 12, 2004

It still resolves to a site, so I assume that it hasn't expired for whatever reason.

I assume the owner updated it after the Nov 12, 2004 'last udated' date.

Why hasn't the record been updated?

Olney
27th December 2005, 06:23 AM
I had problems like that too but not as long I waited for my Anime for about 3 weeks to drop & become totaly free

If it's a golden one shut up, keep quiet & wait (shut up as in don't tell anyone)

Rubber Duck
27th December 2005, 11:31 AM
I'd like to register an IDN which seems to have expired, but apparently hasn't. The Whois record displays the expiry information as:

Created on..............: Fri, Nov 10, 2000
Expires on..............: Thu, Mar 10, 2005
Record last updated on..: Fri, Nov 12, 2004

It still resolves to a site, so I assume that it hasn't expired for whatever reason.

I assume the owner updated it after the Nov 12, 2004 'last udated' date.

Why hasn't the record been updated?

When you check the Whois there are too expiry dates given, one from the registry and one from the registrar. The domain only gets deleted if goes past the expiry date at the registry.

From my experience in drops in a previous life, when the domain goes past the renewal date most registrars add a year to the record at the registry, before it goes in to Redemption Period the year is then removed again. Some smaller registrars notably Australian ones are very lax. I pulled back a domain recently that should have been deleted over a year ago. I had to pay two years subscription, but did not incur any penalties.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon