PDA

View Full Version : Top-level domains to make Japanese script debut

websjapan
29th September 2009, 08:32 AM
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20090929TDY02303.htm

The Yomiuri Shimbun

Businesses and other organizations likely will be able to use Web site domain suffixes such as ".nihon" written in Japanese script for the first time next year, it has been learned.

Internet-related industry groups and other bodies have established a council for such Japanese language top-level domains. The council will act as an intermediary for domain applications between domestic companies and other organizations and a U.S.-based private body that administers domains across the world.

The council also will accept inquiries regarding the registration of other Japanese language top-level domains such as ".kyoto" and ".fujisan" (Mt. Fuji).

Top-level domains such as ".jp" and ".com" are currently restricted to Roman scripts. But in 2008, the U.S. administrative body changed its policy to permit the use of domain name suffixes using scripts such as Japanese or Arabic.

Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry-endorsed bodies that manage and run Web sites must apply to the U.S. body to be able to use the ".nihon" top-level domain.

The council is expected to start receiving applications from administrative bodies in the first half of 2010. Prior to that it will make top-level domains available to businesses and prepare to receive applications.

Drewbert
29th September 2009, 06:12 PM
>Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry-endorsed bodies that manage and run Web
>sites must apply to the U.S. body to be able to use the ".nihon" top-level domain.

Say what?

Domainace
30th September 2009, 09:00 AM
>Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry-endorsed bodies that manage and run Web
>sites must apply to the U.S. body to be able to use the ".nihon" top-level domain.

Say what?

They are talking about ICAAN here, and throughout the entire article, without ever once naming it. Typical shoddy reporting.

Ryu
30th September 2009, 11:15 AM
They are talking about ICAAN here, and throughout the entire article, without ever once naming it. Typical shoddy reporting.

Why bother naming? Everyone will forget it in a split second anyway.

mulligan
1st October 2009, 09:06 PM
Why bother naming? Everyone will forget it in a split second anyway.

Not really the point.

bwhhisc
1st October 2009, 09:17 PM
Any IDN publicity in Japan is good, and hopefully the momentum will build.
Look what happened when Russian IDNs finally got plenty of press. :)

Ryu
2nd October 2009, 01:27 AM
Not really the point.

Oh well.

The point of Domainace is, the article is talking about ICAAN. However, the newspaper doesn't even name the organisation. Hence, the article sucks.

My understanding is, it's talking about IDN cctlds such as .nippon. The name of ICAAN is of little significance here. Hence, why bother naming.

Domainace
2nd October 2009, 10:16 AM
"......and a U.S.-based private body that administers domains across the world."

the first use of the term. They could have place ICAAN in this sentence, and it would have made the 2 following sentences much easier to read.

"But in 2008, the U.S. administrative body changed its policy..."

and "Web sites must apply to the U.S. body to be able to use...."

I mean, it's really shoddy to refer to something three times in a short article without simply naming it. If ICAAN's name was insignificant, then why is it referred to 3 times?

It's not beside the point because a generally shoddy article makes me think the facts stated in the article are unreliable. And it points to a general ignorance and lack of curiosity in the media.

Yet, I agree that the shoddy report is not all that important to this thread. Since others decided to comment, I'm just following up on it.:)