PDA

View Full Version : Parking fundamentals

alpha
26th April 2006, 11:06 AM
Another couple of newbie questions on parking..

Lets say a name has good ovt, but no bids.
What does this actually mean?

does it mean that the user when landing on your page won't be presented with any ads?
or does it mean they will be presented with ads, you just won't be paid anything if they click?

or something else..?

The overture bid tool that we all use for Japanese terms, is this just reflecting Yahoo bids?

If so, is it feasible that other search engines will have bids on keywords when Yahoo do not?

Which "bids" do namedrive align themselves to? is it like they sign up with google only, or could it be a mixture?

This whole parking thing to me is like black magic; you know it goes on, but know very little about how it actually works.

thanks in advance.

Edwin
26th April 2006, 11:57 AM
1. If you're talking about a parking situation, the visitor will be shown a "portal" type page full of links to various "popular" topics, in the hope they will click. Currently this is mainly available in English only.

2. Yes, it's only Yahoo! and its distribution partners. It's possible that other search engines will have ads where Yahoo! doesn't, but in Japan at least Yahoo! has (from memory) about 80% of the market.

3. Namedrive is partnered with Google at the moment. Who knows what they may have up their sleeve in the future...

Rubber Duck
26th April 2006, 12:28 PM
Yes, if you have Overture you can expect traffic. If you have no overture bids, what it means is the conversion rate is uncertain, and some systems will actively prevent you from choosing non-relevant advertising.

Most domains, however, in practice are not perfectly matched to potential type-in or advertising bids. If you have traffic that is half the battle, in all probability to you can direct it to something not directly related like credit-cards or loans with high advertising bids. Your conversion rate may be low but sufficient to make a good return. You may be penalised for relevence and that problem is likely to grow as the algorithms become progressively more devious.

The domain foot print model is essential sound but not perfect, but you are unlikely to come up with a better measure of potential value until the traffic materialises.

Olney
26th April 2006, 12:48 PM
And basically all of this means absolutely nothing if we have great ID Domains & not one single parking service offers parking with Japanese based ads.
I'm just parking domains to get them indexed...

Rubber Duck
26th April 2006, 12:55 PM
And basically all of this means absolutely nothing if we have great ID Domains & not one single parking service offers parking with Japanese based ads.

Yes, I started working on Sedo about 18 months ago, but obvious greatly underestimated their intransigence.

alpha
26th April 2006, 01:02 PM

Hearing you say that...

you have the web skills and SEO
you know the language
you know theres a gap in the market
you know how to fill it
you have a ready base of customers

.. how difficult can it be to build an Olneydrive.com?
I've heard namedrive's position on this - but I'm not sure what is really stopping them, is it their own doing, or are they dependent of Google putting some technology in place first?

touchring
26th April 2006, 01:24 PM
but I'm not sure what is really stopping them, is it their own doing, or are they dependent of Google putting some technology in place first?

I suspect that Google is placing restrictions - they want "natural" type-in as much as possible. Even the page title and page keyword must be restrictly the domain name with the extension, and no meta tags.

It is one thing to operate an olneydrive.com for olney and privately invited friends, it's another thing to announce the service to all of the world and get unnecessary attention from google or yahoo. So that might be one reason why no one is filling up that niche in a big way.

Rubber Duck
26th April 2006, 01:47 PM
I suspect that Google is placing restrictions - they want "natural" type-in as much as possible. Even the page title and page keyword must be restrictly the domain name with the extension, and no meta tags.

It is one thing to operate an olneydrive.com for olney and privately invited friends, it's another thing to announce the service to all of the world and get unnecessary attention from google or yahoo. So that might be one reason why no one is filling up that niche in a big way.

I think the obstacles are much exaggerated. I think Namedrive will have some limited service up in a couple of weeks. Sedo have not bothered their arse because they think they can just walkin any time, because they are the market leader. Well actually they are wrong, if they are going to succeed they are going to have to provide the best service and convince the market of that. From were I am standing it looks as though they are a furlong behind going into the first bend!

They probably think that their combined auction \ parking situation will give them an advantage, but what they do not seem to grasp is that IDNers are not likely to be sellers to end users anyway. By the time that market develops most will only be interested in Parking, and if they do not get their finger out in that department much of the more lucrative business will already have disappeared down the development route.

alpha
26th April 2006, 01:52 PM
I think the obstacles are much exaggerated. I think Namedrive will have some limited service up in a couple of weeks. Sedo have not bothered their arse because they think they can just walkin any time, because they are the market leader. Well actually they are wrong, if they are going to succeed they are going to have to provide the best service and convince the market of that. From were I am standing it looks as though they are a furlong behind going into the first bend!

They probably think that their combined auction \ parking situation will give them an advantage, but what they do not seem to grasp is that IDNers are not likely to be sellers to end users anyway. By the time that market develops most will only be interested in Parking, and if they do not get their finger out in that department much of the more lucrative business will already have disappeared down the development route.

but to put it simply and frankly...

despite what us the believers think - the non-converted must think that IDN as it looks today could sink without trace.

so I imagine if you peel away all the excuses and spin, underneath you'll find they are just waiting for the traffic itself to turn up.

Rubber Duck
26th April 2006, 02:08 PM
but to put it simply and frankly...

despite what us the believers think - the non-converted must think that IDN as it looks today could sink without trace.

so I imagine if you peel away all the excuses and spin, underneath you'll find they are just waiting for the traffic itself to turn up.

Yes, this seems to be the attitude at Sedo at least is that they can waltz in at the last minute to find everything nicely gift wrapped for them.

Trust me, if they are going to get my vote, they are going to have be significantly better. If there is a 20-30% benefit of the doubt situation I will stay loyal to Namedrive and any other small outfits that pioneers this market. Sedo are going to have prove they can deliver in spades if they are ever going to turn their travesty of a strategy around.

Drewbert
26th April 2006, 04:40 PM
>but obvious greatly underestimated their intransigence.

RD's been waiting WEEKS for an chance to use that word in a sentence.

Rubber Duck
26th April 2006, 06:48 PM
>but obvious greatly underestimated their intransigence.

RD's been waiting WEEKS for an chance to use that word in a sentence.

Yes, sometime I think on DNFs, they follow my post to see if they can find unregistered single word ASCII terms to register as domains. When I first say your post on the email I thought your were referring to the obdurate that I used this morning.

Shit too late the bastards will have regged it!