PDA

View Full Version : Duke's Roundtable Wrap Up

Rubber Duck
27th April 2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2006/may-drt.htm

<<Ostrofsky is also bullish on the Asia Pacific market, especially China. He predicts that the next wave of millionaires will come from those who invest there.>>

Also interesting stuff from Clint Page:

<<People are always looking for major changes when technology is involved, but Clint Page said domain names will always be the starting point on the web. He added that because of the indispensable role domains play the industry will continue to be in the spotlight and more consolidation is coming. He also predicted that IDNs will have a big impact. Page added “We have been too .com centric. We need more new TLDs to take off too. I think that is very healthy and will be good for everyone. We are going to see a lot of changes.>>

and the bit about the IDN Seminar:

<<Opening day continued with two late afternoon seminar sessions. At 3:45 I again faced four excellent options but had to choose the IDN Update as I felt this was an area I needed to learn more about as it seems destined to have a major impact on the internet and our business in the years ahead. The panelists for this breakout included Hirofumi Hotta (Japan Registry Service), Ram Mohan (Afilias), Tina Dam (ICANN) and Michael Suignard (Microsoft).
Mr. Mohan said the biggest problem for IDNs is “too many choice and too little comprehension.” While there are many issues still to be resolved, Mohan noted that it is only common sense that people will want to surf the web in their own languages.

According to Mr. Mohan’s presentation, some of the hurdles that still have to be cleared are whether someone who owns an ascii.ascii or an idn.ascii domain would get prior rights to an ascii.idn or idn.idn name. What kinds of dispute resolution policies will be required? Do packages of names have to be created or should the same name in different scripts be allowed to go to different places?

Mohan also noted that IDN solutions do not work the same way for gTLDs and ccTLDs and that ccTLDs may have a tougher task ahead of them.

He added that country-based complexity combined with legal and political issues are going to make life interesting. He used India as a case in point, noting that the country has 18 official languages, schools teach in 58 languages and newspapers print in 71 languages! Mohan went on to detail possible solutions to some of the outstanding issues and said the benefits of IDN implementation will outweigh the work needed to get it done.

Mr. Suignard has been closely involved with the development of Microsoft’s upcoming IDN-enabled Internet Explorer 7 browser (currently in beta and scheduled for final release in the second half of the year). He discussed the technical issues that have been solved and those that are still being worked on so that IDNs will work seamlessly around the globe. Like all of the panelists, he believes IDNs are here to stay.>>

gammascalper
27th April 2006, 11:34 PM
According to Mr. Mohan’s presentation, some of the hurdles that still have to be cleared are whether someone who owns an ascii.ascii or an idn.ascii domain would get prior rights to an ascii.idn or idn.idn name. What kinds of dispute resolution policies will be required? Do packages of names have to be created or should the same name in different scripts be allowed to go to different places?

Seems that Mohan forgot about RFC 2672.

Rubber Duck
27th April 2006, 11:40 PM
Seems that Mohan forgot about RFC 2672.

Yes, Afilias are very much taking a clean sheet of paper approach to this. Not surprising really as they have only really done Germany in an depth to date. They seem to forget that Verisign have been up and running for 4 years and most of the questions that they are posing are substantially irrelevant.

thegenius1
27th April 2006, 11:58 PM
They seem to forget that Verisign have been up and running for 4 years and most of the questions that they are posing are substantially irrelevant.

Good Point Duck ! , I know they say there is no such thing as a Dumb question but i think we have found some :p

blastfromthepast
28th April 2006, 12:49 AM
Yes, Afilias are very much taking a clean sheet of paper approach to this. Not surprising really as they have only really done Germany in an depth to date. They seem to forget that Verisign have been up and running for 4 years and most of the questions that they are posing are substantially irrelevant.

It seems to me in Europe it is a style to ask big questions, even when they are beyond obvious. Let's think about....

>ascii.ascii or an idn.ascii domain would get prior rights to an ascii.idn or idn.idn name.

Now suppose I have français.com. That is an IDN.ascii. Now suppose someone has български.com. That's also an IDN.ascii In the first case, becauese it is in latin IDN, there is nothing to debate. In the second case, if someone is starting to raise the question of ownership, you have a clear case of discrimiation against non-latin IDN owners.

Once again, even in the way this debate has been proposed, people who write in Latin based languages are attempting to screw those tho own non-Latin IDNs.

Now let's focus on getting rid of Latin "http" in localized programs. How about it? Alias everything. Dname it. Get over it. Let's move on.