PDA

View Full Version : Only for the bored and IDN crazy

Ryu
14th November 2009, 11:23 AM
It's a weird TV program broadcasted at Friday night in Japan.

Probably not fun to watch, but if you want to see Japanese IDN in action, there you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijw9a-s3pss&feature=related

Rubber Duck
14th November 2009, 11:25 AM
It's a weird TV program broadcasted at Friday night in Japan.

Probably not fun to watch, but if you want to see Japanese IDN in action, there you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijw9a-s3pss&feature=related

Probably Olney, does it have a whacky black American in it?

websjapan
14th November 2009, 12:22 PM
helium breathing lions. only in japan.

sarcle
14th November 2009, 07:27 PM
Think Hot Do Charming.

That part cracked me up.

Also, I don't know if I want to know but what was on that spoon? The black stuff with corn in it.

The domain name is:

http://勝手に.com.

The site I have to say is AWESOMELY designed.

sarcle
15th November 2009, 02:36 AM
Eh.. .Com is down for service, Verisign laying the tracks for aliasing I hope. ;) Anyways, so I thought I'd check some info on the domain and seo.

勝手に seems to mean "freely" in Japanese

Adwords Estimate: 246k searches for 勝手に and 390 for 勝手に.com.

Registered on 5-27-2009 the domain is already ranked 8th in Google.com and 9th in Google.jp. It's not ranked in Yahoo but is indexed.

Those are some pretty fast rankings for a seemingly popular term. Is Google ranking sites better now than Yahoo?

Ryu
15th November 2009, 03:51 AM
Those are some pretty fast rankings for a seemingly popular term. Is Google ranking sites better now than Yahoo?

It's not a popular term. I imagine more than 90% of the 1,900 exact google searches are for this IDN website.

Googls values IDNs. Yahoo Japan disvalues IDNs. It's been like that for a couple of years.

Because Yahoo rules in Japan, it's widely believed here that IDNs are not good for SEO. And that's one of the major reasons why developers avoid using IDNs.

sarcle
15th November 2009, 04:25 AM
Googls values IDNs. Yahoo Japan disvalues IDNs. It's been like that for a couple of years.

Hm.. I've only recently lost my rankings in Yahoo for my Japanese IDN. I was doing quite well with them up to 6-8 months ago. Yes I do know Yahoo is much bigger in Japan as my Adsense check shows me. :no:

BTW, where did you get the 1900 searches?

Is this a large TV program in terms of audience Ryu?

Ryu
15th November 2009, 04:38 AM
Hm.. I've only recently lost my rankings in Yahoo for my Japanese IDN. I was doing quite well with them up to 6-8 months ago. Yes I do know Yahoo is much bigger in Japan as my Adsense check shows me. :no:

BTW, where did you get the 1900 searches?

Is this a large TV program in terms of audience Ryu?

I guess you were doing well for reasons not related to IDNs...

1,900 is the number I got from Google keyword tool, unchecking "Use synonyms" botton and choosing "exact" from pull down menu (match type).

I don't think the TV program has big audience. I'd have changed the channel right away had I not seen the IDN. It's broadcasted only for 5 minites at the midnight of Friday.

sarcle
15th November 2009, 04:40 AM
I don't think the TV program has big audience. I'd have changed the channel right away had I not seen the IDN. It's broadcasted only for 5 minites at the midnight of Friday.

5 minutes. lol. Yeah I guess it wouldn't have too big an audience.

blastfromthepast
16th November 2009, 03:55 AM

Because their advertisers were quickly loosing out to IDN search-to-domain matching they revised value of the domain name.